PDA

View Full Version : I'm scared to death I got a rock

SmileyRivet
01-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Hello all. My name is Scott. I'm brand new here and have never carved anything in my life. I just saw one of these machines on utube and just had to try one. I love gadgets. Well anyway,

I bought a compucarve off ebay. I've bought several items from the company I got it from. They had 3 units for sale and I was watching all 3. I came home from work and noticed there was 3 minutes left on this auction from my email. I hurried to ebay and threw my bid in just in time, (damn it)
cause after I bid I noticed that the unit I bid on was tested and wouldn't power up. I went ahead and honored my bid. I am so hoping that it is a simple fix. It scares the heck out of me. I know this company doesn't try too hard to get something working when they test them, so I am praying that it's just a loose plug, a fuse, or just needs software reset or something like that.

anyway, I hope someone here can calm my nerves about this. I know what your are thinking probably, I didn't buy it from you so I got what I deserve. LOL

well anyway here is the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270335169124

Please someone calm my nerves.

jcorder
01-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. The thing to do is get the machine and get it set up and then see what happens. If it is really dead when you get it, get on here and there are many that can walk you through the steps to testing and trying to figure out what is wrong with it. If all else fails, you can give LHR a call and talk with a tech to see if they will give you some ideas of what to try. I am sure they will help you out, since that is where you will need to go to purchase replacement parts.

Good luck
Jeff

Jeff_Birt
01-30-2009, 07:48 PM
The machine has to have the memory card in it to work. Without it it will look dead.

Ike
01-30-2009, 08:01 PM
It could also be the power circuit board. I think that is what it is called I sure Jeff B knows what I am talking about. It is a $99.00 part, I know Al knows what it is for sure. But until it is sitting in front of you we are all guessing! Like Jeff C said this is a great forum and you will get all the help you need and want or not need or want!!! ;)

Ike

GrammaPam
01-31-2009, 01:02 AM
Just like dancing ain't for everyone there are plenty of Carvewrights and Compucarves (same thing) that were purchased by people that didn't have the the right teacher or natural ability. So.... You could get a perfectly good machine that just didn't have the right owner. Just like dancing, most people benefit from learning a little. Some seem to come by it naturally, or have enough of all the right background that it seems to come natural. If you like gadgets you probally have some of what you need already. If there is maybe something wrong with your machine it's fixable. If you really want to learn the Forum should become your new BBF. Read even the posts that you don't think apply at the time, you'll find out later they will.
Welcome and Good Luck.
G.P.

hess
01-31-2009, 01:41 AM
Hey Scott you were bidding against me!!!! I talked to CW about the unit here is what they sent

1)Check Y-truck with power off push it from left to right then turn
machine on and try again check resistance if it's greater with power on
2)Check the contrast button by pressing down then sliding it all the way
to the left 3)Power supply are $95.00+ $40.00 core fee

Phillip
Carvewright Support Team
(713)473-6572

Ben's Millwork
01-31-2009, 03:24 AM
Don't let the power issue bother you.Jump right in and learn as much as of the mechanics of how it works. Once you fix a problem and get the hang of it, you don't worry about it breaking , because you know you can fix it.It's good to keep a few spare parts, such as sandpaper feed belts or the upgraded ones sound much better,board sensor and back up chuck. I keep a solid chuck that I welded up.You loose the quick change feature but I don't have to worry about a bit coming loose on a long time consuming carving.
Ben

LollyWood
01-31-2009, 04:47 AM
I also have 2 ebay machines. never had a warrantee. I HAD to learn to fix em when they fell poorly. I can say it's not all that tough. You must study, you must learn, and above all you must enjoy. When their up these gizmos are very cool, When their down, relax, id the problem, ask the gurus, spin a wrench or 2, and tada, your back to have'n fun. This I know a little about. A few of the folks have had my machines scattered all over the bench. But I followed some very sage advice and when I hit the start button. Zing...sawdust city.:)There is a WEALTH of knowledge and experence around here always willing to lend a hand. This forum is the best CW/CC class room there is. From pattern to design, from malfunction to rebuild, from aquantence to good friends. Read, Learn, Ask. ENJOY.

Digitalwoodshop
01-31-2009, 02:31 PM
That was a good price..... Shipping to me would have been $125.00....

Don't FEAR.... We will get you up and running, plus LHR is there for you too...

First thing is the LCD intensity.... It could just be the LCD intensity is turned down. Looking at the pile of products they sell, it could be a Jack of ALL trades looking at it and making that evaluation... So RELAX and enjoy the GOOD DEAL.....

Turn the small LCD intensity stop to stop then to the center to start.

Load the software and use the programmer and load the latest firmware on the card.

Make sure the card in installed or you get black squares.

Power it up and see what you get.

If the power supply is really bad, but I don't think it is.... See here about the L2 in the power supply.

http://forum.carvewright.com//showthread.php?t=6810&highlight=l2+coil

Let us know.....

Reading Tips and Tricks will give you a handle on what to expect. Otherwise your next post will be a classic...." I cranked the head all the way up and now it only clicks..... A Classic I didn't open the operation manual and read...."

We are here to help.... Every problem you have with the machine has been posted and answered many times. Here for the reading.

AL

hess
02-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Hey have you got the unit yet? I got a new one and have a problem with a stuck roller have done all I can find to try to fix it.. Have a Sears coming in this week will be intresting to see if it free of problems.. good luck man
Hess

myairplane
02-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Oh man, does that bring back memories! I have myself (all to often) fell victim to the "fine print" in ebay auctions! lol I bought a craftsman snow thrower attachment for my lawn tractor once, it was brand new and only $295.. After I bought it, I read in the listing it only came with the major component, no other parts, screws, manuals, etc.. were included.. ACK! I'd have been better off buying a new one from Sears after all was said and done..

But after the first snow fall here, I LOVED my new toy! It was awesome and worth all the time and effort to locate the parts needed. Now I pray for snow so I can go out and play with the thing.

I'm sure once you get your purchase, it should be something minor and you will look back later on and know you got a deal! Just the enjoyment factor alone you get with these machine is worth it. Even if you had to spend $400 getting it fixed, its still one heck of a deal! (it shouldn't cost nearly that much, just usign it as a reference figure).

I researched the crap out of this machine before I bought mine (off ebay for $1000) 2 weeks ago. You'll read all kinds of horror stories about them breaking down, but in my research, most (if not all) could be avoided with proper cleaning. I've run a few projects thru mine already and after each carve job, I clean this thing inside and out paying attention to every detail in the hopes mine will not fail me in the future.

I've also cleaned part way thru a carving job by waiting for the upstroke of the cutter and then lifting the window so the machine will stop, then vacume everything out, when I close the lid and hit the "enter" button, it picks back up where it left off. Not sure this is a good idea or not, but seems to work fine for me.

Let us know when you get the machine and what it took to get it running.

Dennis

SmileyRivet
02-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Hey Scott you were bidding against me!!!! I talked to CW about the unit here is what they sent

1)Check Y-truck with power off push it from left to right then turn
machine on and try again check resistance if it's greater with power on
2)Check the contrast button by pressing down then sliding it all the way
to the left 3)Power supply are $95.00+ $40.00 core fee

Phillip
Carvewright Support Team
(713)473-6572

Hey, I'm sorry I bid against you. LOL I didnt' know lol.

SmileyRivet
02-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey have you got the unit yet? I got a new one and have a problem with a stuck roller have done all I can find to try to fix it.. Have a Sears coming in this week will be intresting to see if it free of problems.. good luck man
Hess

Mine was on my doorstep last night when I got home. I brought it in and unpacked it. I fumbled around with what I got and loaded the disk. The disk was not even opened yet. The envelope was still sealed. I don't know how many bits you are supposed to get with it but I got two. I installed the software and plugged the memory card in the reader and plugged it in. I saw the update link and imediatly updated it.

I went to my computer and It does not show my reader as another drive. Is it supposed to???

I have not plugged it in the wall yet.

I snapped the flex drive in place. I snapped one of the bits in. I don't know what to do next yet. I'm gonna play around with the software and see what I can figure out before I plug it it. I havent lubed anything yet. I thought I may do a dry run to see if it does anything at all before I unplug and lube anything. I got the tool to remove the bit, kinda tried to pop the bit back out but it resisted, I didn't want to force anything. I'm gonna look for explanations in the software .

there were marks on one of the bits like it was at least plugged in, kind of like the blueing is rubbed off a little ,but not marred. but the wire ties were all still on the flex drive and cord, the belts look like new. It has light reminants of light sawdust, but doesnt' really look used at all. wish there was someone around me who has one of these so I could go watch them use it. I learn more from watching than reading.

I'm getting the nerves up to plug it in.

Kenm810
02-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Quote; I went to my computer and It does not show my reader as another drive. Is it supposed to???

Nope it won't show as a drive with a Letter
but you will see the green light come on when you plug it
into your USB Port with the Memory Card in place

And your machine won't power up unless you have the memory
plugged into the slot on the side of the machine

Your going to have a Lot of reading to do

Deolman
02-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Be sure to read the Tips and Tricks. It will do a lot to jump start you into using the CW.

Barmy_old_Codger
02-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Don't worry about your desktop computer or any software, just plunk the machine on your workbench, stick the memory card in it and turn it on. After a few seconds the Carvewright name should appear on the screen. You now know it is alive and the power supply is OK.
Next:
Stick a board in it, even a 2x4 will do as long as it has 2 parallel sides. Aligh it with the fence on the control panel side and slide the far fence up close but not touching. Make sure you can push the board through in both directions and it won't hit anything (other tools or walls or jam on the fences). Clamp it down and select "Measure Board" from the menu. If the board moves through both ways it should tell you the size (length & width) of the board and all is well.
Good Luck
and make sure the memory card is in
Barmy