PDA

View Full Version : Biel polishing system

wooden nickel
01-30-2009, 06:11 PM
I hope can tell me what caused my cherry box to get a white film-looking stuff around my carving. I am making a jewelery box for the contest.I used the biel buffing system, all the flat surfaces look great. I believe it is possibly wax residue but it won"t come off. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any advice.

Wooden nickel

thelittleboxshop
01-30-2009, 06:16 PM
This is usually a direct result of "loading" way to much wax on the wheel. The wax in the creases will have to be taken off by hand and as the instructions state, very little is needed to accomplish the job. Also, wax the flat surfaces of your project first so the majority of wax that is on the wheel is buffed onto those flat surfaces, then proceed into the crevices. The whole process was developed to use a VERY small amount of wax. Start out with very little and build it up.

eromran
01-30-2009, 06:46 PM
This is usually a direct result of "loading" way to much wax on the wheel. The wax in the creases will have to be taken off by hand and as the instructions state, very little is needed to accomplish the job. Also, wax the flat surfaces of your project first so the majority of wax that is on the wheel is buffed onto those flat surfaces, then proceed into the crevices. The whole process was developed to use a VERY small amount of wax. Start out with very little and build it up.Also if the wheel has not been used much or a first time some of the fibers from the wheel comes off and builds up the same way. But like you said usually from to much wax in both cases.

Ken Massingale
01-31-2009, 08:38 AM
My experience is that the White Diamond wax that comes with the system shouldn't be used on any surface that's no already polished very smooth, especially darker woods. The fine white residue gets into the grain and is almost impossible to get out. On a carving it finds plenty of tiny valleys to get into.
I only use the beal system after final sanding to a very smooth surface, and usually only use the Carnuba wheel.
(Don't do what I did a couple of weeks ago and grab the White Diamond wheel thinking it was the Carnuba wheel! :-( )