PDA

View Full Version : can not edit MY pattern after updating to 1.132

Virginia Beach Carver
01-30-2009, 08:46 AM
OK I have dozens of patterns I created and edited in 1.130 over and over with no problem. Now that I upgraded to 1.132 when I bring them up in the editor instead of a cursor arrow in the right hand edit window I get the symbol for NO (the O with a line through it). How do I fix this so I can edit what took me hundreds of hours to create. The only reason I purchased the probe was to get the editor software which will now not edit anything. Thanks I am sure it is covered in some thread but I didn't see it and need to edit a .ptn carve it and take it with me on a trip Saturday morning to see an old fellow 175th AHC Vietnam Vet so I am pressed for time.

Thanks for any and all help, Jim

mtylerfl
01-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Hello Jim,

If you have the your older patterns saved as mpw files, you can edit those and re-save as ptn's with any current or future version of Designer/Pattern Editor the way it stands now. Very important to always save as both mpw and ptn everything you create. That way, you can always have the mpw backup to revert to because, unlike a ptn, no copy-protection is applied to an mpw.

Reset
01-30-2009, 11:05 AM
If you have the your older patterns saved as mpw files, you can edit those and re-save as ptn's with any current or future version of Designer/Pattern Editor the way it stands now. Very important to always save as both mpw and ptn everything you create. That way, you can always have the mpw backup to revert to because, unlike a ptn, no copy-protection is applied to an mpw.

Yes, that seems to be what has to be done. Apparently Designer places the "copy protection" on the patterns installed during use of that version, despite the fact you created them. Same as what occurred during the upgrade from 1.120 to 1.125, when the CP was added.

Hopefully this is just an oversight in the programming, and will be corrected in a future version.

It will be a real drag to be required to re-import all our own patterns into Designer with each and every upgrade.

Tommy :)

Virginia Beach Carver
01-30-2009, 11:31 AM
So can I uninstall 1.132 and reinstall 1.30. How do I make sure all my patterns are not deleted when and if I can manage this task after finding a copy of 1.30? I guess I am not going to make my dead line.

Doesn't it bug anyone else that the software does this crap....

Thanks Jim

Virginia Beach Carver
01-30-2009, 11:47 AM
I tried editing an older version of the same file before some major edits. It is an MPW file, it comes up in editor fine but also will not let me edit it, same old O with the line instead of the arrow cursor...

Any ideas?

Ike
01-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Jim, open a new board, import your pattern and then group it. Then in the carving list click the group, that should make the " make patterns' function light up. Click the make pattern button and you should be able to save it in your library. Then you can edit all you want!

Yes it is a pain to need to do this for every upgrade!

Ike

Jeff_Birt
01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
If it comes up in the Pattern Editor then you CAN edit it. The 'Circle Slash' cursor (called the forbidding cursor) is shown when you do not have a tool selected. In other words you have not picked a tool in Pattern Editor to do anything with. Try clicking on the Paint tool and you will see that the cursor changes...

Ike
01-30-2009, 12:32 PM
If it comes up in the Pattern Editor then you CAN edit it. The 'Circle Slash' cursor (called the forbidding cursor) is shown when you do not have a tool selected. In other words you have not picked a tool in Pattern Editor to do anything with. Try clicking on the Paint tool and you will see that the cursor changes...
Lol I didn't pick up on that! Jim did say he was able to open the pattern in the editor! Good eyes, lol yes it is 10:30 here and I am still asleep! :confused:

Ike

Reset
01-30-2009, 01:08 PM
"when I bring them up in the editor instead of a cursor arrow in the right hand edit window I get the symbol for NO (the O with a line through it)."

Yep, I missed that too :)

Your patterns can be edited regardless if they were imported prior to upgrading to Designer versions after 1.125.

Tommy :)

Virginia Beach Carver
01-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks to all that tried to help. Jeff hit the nail on the head. I have not used the software in several months and after the upgrade was quick to blame my problem on that. After checking there are some patterns that I totally made that give me the the you can't edit this warning but it does not look like to many so I will use Ike's method on those as needed.

Thanks again for all the help, Stay safe and well, Jim

Jeff_Birt
01-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Don't worry about it, we all do our fair share of equally silly things. In fact my standard M.O. for problem solving starts out with:

1) What stupid thing did I do to cause this. :confused:

I have found that for me this solves 90%+ of my problems and if it doesn't I usually have a lot better idea of what the problem might be. :)

jcorder
01-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Don't worry about it, we all do our fair share of equally silly things. In fact my standard M.O. for problem solving starts out with:

I have found that for me this solves 90%+ of my problems and if it doesn't I usually have a lot better idea of what the problem might be. :)

and when all else fails, he points to me and says....JEFF DID IT!:D

Ike
01-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Gee will that work for me too?!! I will do that next time I have a problem I will ask what stupid thing did Jeff do to cause this!! Or did Jeff do this? :)

Ike ;)

jcorder
01-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Gee will that work for me too?!! I will do that next time I have a problem I will ask what stupid thing did Jeff do to cause this!! Or did Jeff do this? :)

Ike ;)

You bet! Blame me for all of it, makes me feel like I did something, even if it is wrong.

Ike
01-30-2009, 08:41 PM
You bet! Blame me for all of it, makes me feel like I did something, even if it is wrong.
Ok will do I will blame you and Jeff and my friend Jeff in Oregon too!

Ike

jcorder
01-30-2009, 08:42 PM
see how much better you feel now? LOL

Ike
01-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Lol I do !

Ike

swhitney
01-31-2009, 09:39 AM
So are we voting for Jeff to be "Forum Scapegoat"????