PDA

View Full Version : Programming Question on order of bits in carving

horsebum1
01-30-2009, 07:59 AM
I am having trouble once I get the project pulled up on the machine - can anyone tell me how it decides what to carve 1st?

the machine will 1st ask for the vector bit and prompt me for the 90* (which was for the lettering) - ok, got that

then it asks for another vector bit and prompts me for the 1/16 carving - which I said "ok" to (think this is for the image)

then for a cutting ( to cut my shape out with) but then the carving bit again..

I still have an outline figure which I had set with a 1/4 bullnose - never prompted me for that....

In the end it carved the logo first, then the letters, then the outline, then the cutpath..... of course that's not the order of the list in the Designer program - I had lettering first, then the logo, then the outline, then the cutpath.

in the end i had the wrong bit selected (in the setup at the machine) for the wrong part and it carved it, but wasn't what I wanted.

Can anyone tell me how to make sure you set it up at the machine and make sure you get the right bit programmed to the right part? Because is obviously doesn't go by the carving list in Designer (from top down) and when I get to the machine I'm confused when it's asking for bits about which part it is talking about so as to program the right bit for the right part.

THANKS!!

AskBud
01-30-2009, 08:28 AM
This is not scientific, but my take.:rolleyes:
The machine asks for the Bits in reverse order of how it will be carving (not the way you laid out your design). You should see/get a prompt to load every bit you used on your design. If one is missing, ABORT the job and take the card back to the PC and verify the bit that was missing.
AskBud

fwharris
01-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Bud is right on this.

What you see in designer carving list is just to help you with the layout. The order listed has nothing to do with the order of how it is carved.

Amonaug
01-30-2009, 12:07 PM
The order it carves is

Raster images (ie patterns like the basic patterns)
Vector paths (ie paths drawn with bits attached, centerline text, etc)
Drilling
Cut-outs (using 1/8" or 1/16" cutting bits)

The order in designer has no bearing on the order it carves.

If the project has raster carvings it will ask for the 1/16" carving bit last and carve that first.

Digitalwoodshop
01-30-2009, 01:33 PM
As for it not asking for the bit you expected.... Call up the drawing and look at the bit selection and see what is selected.

I went through this one time and it was a carve region on the back and I forgot about it... I was wondering why it never asked for my V90 and 1/8 inch cut out bit... My BAD..... Had to flip the board over to see it... Posted the .mpc and the guys here hooked me up....

Even I was a NEWby one time.... or is that a Proby..... At least 2474 post's ago....

AL

Eagle Hollow
01-30-2009, 05:15 PM
You know, Al, you are a wealth of information. You just guided me through changing out a Z-pack. You provide solutions, usually several times a day. You spend 12 - 16 hours a day designing, engraving, lazering, spend HOW much time here?????Man do you know what sleep is????

Seriously, Thank you for your generous sharing!

atauer
01-30-2009, 05:22 PM
The order it carves is

Raster images (ie patterns like the basic patterns)
Vector paths (ie paths drawn with bits attached, centerline text, etc)
Drilling
Cut-outs (using 1/8" or 1/16" cutting bits)

The order in designer has no bearing on the order it carves.

If the project has raster carvings it will ask for the 1/16" carving bit last and carve that first.

Amonaug,

Your statement is correct. The machine will do all raster images first, vector paths second, any drilling is done third, and cut-outs are done last.

There have been a few users, (bud and others), who have suggested that the software contain an area showing you every bit needed for the software. I like this suggestion and it has been forwarded to our design team. Whether it makes it into the software or not is up to them, but it is a great suggestion.