PDA

View Full Version : 1600 + dollar measuring tape!!

Outerside
01-29-2009, 07:52 PM
You would think for that amount of money you would be able to do more than measure the broad!
Don't get me wrong, support is good and some people have good luck on the machine but...
This is what's going on. First time out of box yesterday. Measured wood (it was something like L15.364 W7.264) I wanted to cut wood to 7"W machine asked for 1/16 or 1/8 cutting bit. Of coarse only have 1/8 right out of the bag in to the chuck. It started cutting (OK get cup of coffee...opps) by time I got back room smoked up. Ran to the machine (dropping my cup) to stop it and the bit broke and the broad is burnt after 7 5/8" into cut (wood is Pine). What the @#$%!
Lets try something simple. Lets make a Jig for my thinner wood. I used a PDF file for this CarveWright Cast Acrylic Jig Instructions. Wanted the square to be 5.38 X 5.38. Machine asked for 1/16 or 1/8 craving bit. Again used 1/8 bit. It went through it's process until it moved into position to carve. "CHECK CUT MOTOR" (humm ... checked seamed all right) Enter, Went right to left 3 times (made a line about 1/32 deep) bit dig in about 1/8 moved about 1/8 stopped and PLEASE CLEAN Y RAILS. Cleaned and and WD40 it, then tried again Y AXIS STALL ERROR 238. What the @#$%
Fine the machine asked for craving bit. I tried a 60 V bit. It made my square with no problems but of coarse it has a slope because of V bit.
Put in my thin wood went to crave daughters face in used the V bit looked good until middle (my problem I think) any way looked good.
Called support. Updated software and firmware. Ran sample_project.mpc used 1/8 craving bit. NICE...
Ok now lets remake the jig...same thing what the @#$%
Call Support...tighten the Y belt lube up the tracks, wheels etc.

Lots of money for not making a jig.

Anybody have idea???

liquidguitars
01-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Whats up?

What version of the firmware is on your flash card?

LG

Outerside
01-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Project Designer 1.132 build 6784
Firmware on Flash Card Same

Ike
01-29-2009, 08:12 PM
You would think for that amount of money you would be able to do more than measure the broad!
Don't get me wrong, support is good and some people have good luck on the machine but...
This is what's going on. First time out of box yesterday. Measured wood (it was something like L15.364 W7.264) I wanted to cut wood to 7"W machine asked for 1/16 or 1/8 cutting bit. Of coarse only have 1/8 right out of the bag in to the chuck. It started cutting (OK get cup of coffee...opps) by time I got back room smoked up. Ran to the machine (dropping my cup) to stop it and the bit broke and the broad is burnt after 7 5/8" into cut (wood is Pine). What the @#$%!
Lets try something simple. Lets make a Jig for my thinner wood. I used a PDF file for this CarveWright Cast Acrylic Jig Instructions. Wanted the square to be 5.38 X 5.38. Machine asked for 1/16 or 1/8 craving bit. Again used 1/8 bit. It went through it's process until it moved into position to carve. "CHECK CUT MOTOR" (humm ... checked seamed all right) Enter, Went right to left 3 times (made a line about 1/32 deep) bit dig in about 1/8 moved about 1/8 stopped and PLEASE CLEAN Y RAILS. Cleaned and and WD40 it, then tried again Y AXIS STALL ERROR 238. What the @#$%
Fine the machine asked for craving bit. I tried a 60 V bit. It made my square with no problems but of coarse it has a slope because of V bit.
Put in my thin wood went to crave daughters face in used the V bit looked good until middle (my problem I think) any way looked good.
Called support. Updated software and firmware. Ran sample_project.mpc used 1/8 craving bit. NICE...
Call Support...tighten the Y belt lube up the tracks, wheels etc.

Lots of money for not making a jig.

Anybody have idea???

I have a few idea and please take this with a grain of salt! No disrespect intended, but I think you used the machine before learning how to use it. Let me explain I know it does say you can the CW for cutting off a board. But did you try cutting a cross cut or a rip cut? Then in the designer did you set the dept and how many passes the cutting bit was to make. Or did you just use the set setting and let it try to cut the whole board in one pass?

The cut motor occurred because you bogged down the motor so instead of burning your motor up it has a safety and cause a cut motor error. How thick was the board? Normally I just cut the board to size using another tool because of the stress with the CW. Outline cutting is ok so don't think you can't use it to make cut outs. But they need to be set for couple passes at a set depth.

As forth to cleaning the Y axis I am sure the cut and the burning made a mess causing the rail to become dirty. Then with all this an axis stall could also be caused by the burning or chips blocking the movement. Or from not operating correctly more damage may have occurred.

This is not a learn as you go machine, I found out it the hard way exchanging a few machines! Not all were my fault but I would say 90% was and it caused other problems.

Ike

Jeff_Birt
01-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Yes, RTFM. Seriously, there is a LOT of reference material available to help newcomers get started. Run over the main CW website and click on the Support tab. Look at the Download, Tutorials and Tips&Tricks sections. Also, read through the uses manual that came with the machine and the software's help file. From the sound of your post you riped the machine out of the box and started pushing buttons (forgive me if that is not the case), that is a recipe for disaster ands I don't like seeing good folks get all flustered.

Potential problem area from your description include board tipping from incorrectly aligned out-feed rollers, sliding guide plate too tight on the board, board not square/level etc. It is also very likely that you did not get the flex cable seated down into the spindle properly. Since you just got the machine it is possible that some 'delivery engineer' bumped it too hard and it needs the head leveled up (something that is always good to check on any power tool.)

Take a step back, take a deep breath and go through things one at a time.

Outerside
01-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah I have done alot of reading of pdf files on this machine. Support claimed it had to do with the old version. Thickness was .5. Hmmm (how many passes the cutting bit was to make?) ok I went by pdf file from Carvewright making a Jig never mention passes, and I don't recall reading anything about passes in the other files. Going to check on that.

Cleaned everything and re-lubed all still cannot make a Jig with out error.
Size 14 X 9 1/2 X 3/4 center square 5 3/8 X 5 3/8 X 3/8

liquidguitars
01-29-2009, 08:25 PM
I also have some infomation on my website on how to layout sleds in designer its geared to guitars but gives the idea.

http://liquidguitars.com/html/carving.html

LG

Ike
01-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Sorry was trying to help not to offend you. I didn't ask, you were using a cutting bit and not the 1/16 ballnose?

Sorry again,I really meant it to help you. Jeff did a great job saying the same thing! That is why Jeff is the moderator and I am not!

Ike

Jeff_Birt
01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
The next to last(or so) issue of Tips&Tricks covers the newer software/firmware and the depth per pass settings. It lets you fine tune the amount cut (in Z-axis) for each pass.

I'm still wondering if you got the square part of the flex shaft inserted into the spindle properly. If it is slipping you'll get all sorts of errors because the bit will start and then stop turning.

One good way to test for proper board feeding is to put a good flat/square board in and measure it 3-4 times. Compare your readings, they should be really close.

Outerside
01-29-2009, 08:33 PM
tipping was my fault. made Jig with V bit only 1/4 deep should of been 3/8. I just want to know why the engraver bit keeps giving me clean Y rail. I think Ike has the point about passes.
Have every pdf files on computer from this site and from support. Trying to think which one talks about passes.

I made the Title a little to strong:D

Outerside
01-29-2009, 08:39 PM
measuring is fine.
flex shaft has been lubed up when support told me to. So I have token the machine apart and vac, blew, and lubed up everything and still same. Going to read about passes be back

No offending to me Ike any clue helps then none

fwharris
01-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Outerside,

If you could post your mpc project file for the jig it might help us to help you out on this. I am thinking you might have some bit confusion going on.

Also with the pdf files you have down loaded are you also looking at the ones titled "tips&tricks"?

No problem with your title, we are kind of seasoned to frustration posts. Just want you to be able to do more than just measure your board.

Outerside
01-29-2009, 08:52 PM
This is the one I tried today after all updates and cleaning and lube

fwharris
01-29-2009, 08:57 PM
This is the one I tried today after all updates and cleaning and lube

this jig carve should be using the 1/16" carving bit and not the V bit (if I read your post correctly). it is a cave region and the default bit is the 1/16 bit.

Outerside
01-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Hmm Cut Out Control... Yep that I over looked...hmm support never asked about that...I'm going to try this tomorrow and see what it dose...going to redo my mpc file..

Outerside
01-29-2009, 09:03 PM
V bit was just a test of my own that worked...but now I'm going to use cut out control and see what the 1/8 engraver dose tomorrow

Outerside
01-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Reading about passes. And the reason I over looked it is because it was talking about Safety Tabs and cut all the way though.
I just want to cut 3/8 deep so I assume I should cut 3 passes at 1/8 deep???

Hmm using cut out control with passes Cuts the square completely out. I need the square 3/8" deep on broad 3/4"

fwharris
01-29-2009, 09:33 PM
V bit was just a test of my own that worked...but now I'm going to use cut out control and see what the 1/8 engraver dose tomorrow

The cut out control is for cutting pieces "out" of a board and not carving. As a beginner you should stay with what bits the software calls for. You will only be getting more frustrated with the machine (when actually it is you).

fwharris
01-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Reading about passes. And the reason I over looked it is because it was talking about Safety Tabs and cut all the way though.
I just want to cut 3/8 deep so I assume I should cut 3 passes at 1/8 deep???

Hmm using cut out control with passes Cuts the square completely out. I need the square 3/8" deep on broad 3/4"

Now you are seeing it.. the mpc that you posted had the square as a "carve" region and the bit is the 1/16" tappered bit.

Outerside
01-29-2009, 09:44 PM
As I mentioned in my first thread I used the right bits it called for. Everytime I try to use the 1/8 craving bit I get clean y rail or y stall. So I tried the V bit for the heck of it and that worked...I would like to use the right bits that the machine wants but it don't like the bit.:confused:

I used V bit for a photo it work Great (except one mistake I made):D
I used 1/8 craving bit for sample_project from Help menu it worked great:D

But I can not get a hollow out square 5.38 X 5.38 X .38 in middle of a board 14 X 9.5 X 3/4 board using a bit that the machine is telling me to. Which is 1/8 craving bit. If I use the bit I get clean y rail or y stall. Even went by CarveWright Cast Acrylic Jig Instructions under Support Files to do this jig

Jeff_Birt
01-29-2009, 09:54 PM
There is no 1/8" carving bit. There is a 1/16" tapered carving bit and 1/8" straight cutting bit that come with the machine. The tapered carving bit is what you use for raster carvings.

liquidguitars
01-29-2009, 10:01 PM
did you clean the Y rails? :)

LG

Outerside
01-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Yep more than once lol

Outerside
01-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Interesting Jeff the machine asked for 1/16 or 1/8 craving bit so... I figured I was sent a 1/8 craving bit so ran down stairs to try selecting 1/16 but still does the same
But then I read the rest of your reply "raster carvings" ok think I'm getting some where. Lets get the bits straight.
So to make this jig I need what bit??
Why does the machine ask for 1/16 or 1/8 craving bit?? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong?? BRB

Outerside
01-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Yep It's asking for 1/16 or 1/8 craving bit

mtylerfl
01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Interesting Jeff the machine asked for 1/16 or 1/8 craving bit so... I figured I was sent a 1/8 craving bit so ran down stairs to try selecting 1/16 but still does the same
But then I read the rest of your reply "raster carvings" ok think I'm getting some where. Lets get the bits straight.
So to make this jig I need what bit??
Why does the machine ask for 1/16 or 1/8 craving bit?? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong?? BRB

Hello,

The only way the machine would ask for those bits is if you placed something in your mpc layout that uses them. It cannot ask for a bit that is not actually programmed into the mpc.

I'm getting heart fibrillations reading this thread. I don't want to tell you what to do, but please consider reading the Tips & Tricks issues before going much farther. Especially the Dec '07 and the Jan '08 issues at least.

Honestly, we're trying to help you.

All the Best...

fwharris
01-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Yep It's asking for 1/16 or 1/8 craving bit

Is this on the display at the machine of in the software?

Outerside
01-29-2009, 10:34 PM
And I thank everyone here for helping me.
I have read tips & tricks. I must be missing something. Like I said for the jig I went by the pdf file. I know I'm missing something. Like I said the machine carves fine. But something with the jig is not right...

Outerside
01-29-2009, 10:35 PM
from The Machine

fwharris
01-29-2009, 10:37 PM
That is what I thought. When the display first comes up it does say "1/16 bit". I does give you the option for the other bit but you should stay with the default 1/16 bit.

Outerside
01-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Here is the steps I went by:

New file ; length 14 ; width 9.5 ; thickness .75
rectangle tool
size rectangle 5.38
center it
Carve Regain
set depth 3/8
upload

and I tried the 1/16 bit

I'm missing a step somewhere

fwharris
01-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Here is the steps I went by:

New file ; length 14 ; width 9.5 ; thickness .75
rectangle tool
size rectangle 5.38
center it
Carve Regain
set depth 3/8
upload

and I tried the 1/16 bit

I'm missing a step somewhere

That is the basic steps and should work ok. Only other step would be to set the bit potimazation. Just checked your mpc and it is at medium.

Did you just try it again and still got the same error?

Ike
01-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Outerside, sorry I didn't reply the wife and I watched a movie. Plus I saw you were in good hands. Looks like you were mistaking the 1/8 cutting bit with the 1/16 ballnose. CW recently offered a 1/16th cutting bit so I can see the confusion! The cutting bit has a straight spiral shaft and the raster or 1/16 ballnose is tapered and round at the bottom

Most likely I am posting this a day late I did ask you before what bit you were using! You will get it and one day be reading a post like your and laugh!

Ike

Outerside
01-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Yes I have tried best, medium, and none. I have tried this jig about 6 or 7 times tring differant things

Outerside
01-29-2009, 11:05 PM
No Ike the cutting bit broke the first start of machine. I thought the 1/16 carving bit was an 1/8 carving bit.

Been sitting here reading Tips & Tricks for the 3rd time trying to see what I'm missing. Craving images fine. just can not do a simple jig. If I had enough hair I would be pulling it out. lol

fwharris
01-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Lets walk through your steps at the machine. After you select your project, what prompts do you get and how do you answer them

We will try to keep what hair you have left intact? LOL

Outerside
01-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Ok Here we go

set wood
press 1
jig file
enter

machine does it's thing then homing
stay under rollers?
No (support said)
machine measures wood
How to place on length?
1 (center on length)
Select carving bit
1/16" carving bit
Load bit: (qual Best) 1/16" carving
Machine "testing depth" Homing
Finding surface
"starts then moves to center of wood"
Check Cut Motor
Enter

"3 sweeps about 1/32 deep then digs in about 1/8 Stops"
Please Clean Y Rails
Clean Y Rails "going wear metal down lol"
again starts digs in stops
Please Clean Y Rails
:confused::confused::confused:

Ike
01-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Ok Here we go

set wood
press 1
jig file
enter

stay under rollers?
No (support said)
machine measures wood
How to place on length?
1 (center on length)
Select carving bit
1/16" carving bit
Finding surface
Check Cut Motor
Enter

Please Clean Y Rails
Please Clean Y Rails

You know what FW sounds like he may have stripped a gear in the Z or Y motor. They are made of plastic. Or they may be something in the belt gears.

Sorry not trying to cut in, but Outerside try this turn off the machine wait about 30 seconds and see if you can move the Z truck by hand.

If it moves freely that is good if it is jerky that is bad. Also check the tension on the belt.

Ike

fwharris
01-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Ok Here we go

set wood
press 1
jig file
enter

stay under rollers?
No (support said)
machine measures wood
How to place on length?
1 (center on length)
Select carving bit
1/16" carving bit
Finding surface
Check Cut Motor
Enter

Please Clean Y Rails
Please Clean Y Rails

:confused me too!!!!

Machine steps are all good.

You said that you ran 2 other projects and no problems. Don't suppose you have tried another "good" one since doing the jig again?

Have you checked the Y rails and belt to insure they are tight?

Is the Y belt tension adjustment plate and screw are tight with no play. It is located at the far end of the belt by the cut motor.

The head is level? Lower the head down until the tension rollers just tough the board. See if it touches even across the board.

Move the cutting head back and forth to see if there is any skipping, catching, rough spots. Watch to see if the flex shaft does not rub in the opening in the top..

Ike
01-29-2009, 11:56 PM
:confused me too!!!!

Machine steps are all good.

You said that you ran 2 other projects and no problems. Don't suppose you have tried another "good" one since doing the jig again?

Have you checked the Y rails and belt to insure they are tight?

Is the Y belt tension adjustment plate and screw are tight with no play. It is located at the far end of the belt by the cut motor.

The head is level? Lower the head down until the tension rollers just tough the board. See if it touches even across the board.

Move the cutting head back and forth to see if there is any skipping, catching, rough spots. Watch to see if the flex shaft does not rub in the opening in the top..

Might need to reformat the flash card and reload the jig project?

Ike

fwharris
01-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Ike,

Hey no problem with jumping in! The more eyes and ears the better. Plus it wouldn't be the first time I missed something or did not say it the right way...

Ike
01-30-2009, 12:06 AM
FW, have you ever noticed when you blow in your kids face they giggle, but hang them out the widow by their feet in a moving vehicle they scream like hell!!

Ike

Outerside
01-30-2009, 12:08 AM
I checked the tension of the belts after I cleaned a lube everything (By support description) pressing down on belt should not touch other side of belt.
both y and Z move freely...except after cleaning and lubing and plugging in I moved the Y axis was jerky but then went smooth and still is.

But going back down to check:
"The head is level? Lower the head down until the tension rollers just tough the board. See if it touches even across the board.

Move the cutting head back and forth to see if there is any skipping, catching, rough spots. Watch to see if the flex shaft does not rub in the opening in the top.."

Already tried reformatting it. did not want to reload same one twice.

fwharris
01-30-2009, 12:13 AM
FW, have you ever noticed when you blow in your kids face they giggle, but hang them out the widow by their feet in a moving vehicle they scream like hell!!

Ike

funny!! The wife does the same thing!!!:D

Ike
01-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Cool outsider it was jerky now smooth, you may have had a chip stuck some where. Try running it again.

Ike

Ike
01-30-2009, 12:17 AM
funny!! The wife does the same thing!!!:D
I like your wife!!!

Ike

Ike
01-30-2009, 12:21 AM
I checked the tension of the belts after I cleaned a lube everything (By support description) pressing down on belt should not touch other side of belt.
both y and Z move freely...except after cleaning and lubing and plugging in I moved the Y axis was jerky but then went smooth and still is.

But going back down to check:
"The head is level? Lower the head down until the tension rollers just tough the board. See if it touches even across the board.

Move the cutting head back and forth to see if there is any skipping, catching, rough spots. Watch to see if the flex shaft does not rub in the opening in the top.."

Already tried reformatting it. did not want to reload same one twice.

When asked if the head is level does it seem like it sets even on you board you are using? And you ran the Z truck along the rail and at first it was jerky and now smooth? You did turn off the power and waited about 30 seconds?

Is the clutch engaging and you hear it clicking when it reaches the board? Oh plus the flex shaft is securely attached to the cutting head?

Is you machine a Sears CC or the Carvewright CW brand?

Ike

Outerside
01-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Everything is moving smoothly. It's level. Board is flat ran though plainer. Measured gap from wood to bottom of cut motor equal.

Just don't make sense 1/16 bit machine don't like the rest of bits machine likes.
I have even check the bit to see about necks and so on. Looks good to me.

Got to hit the bed. Might take some pictures tomorrow and throw them up on here. Maybe something will come from it.

(support had me use a scale today) presser 87.5lb

Sears CC

that was the Y axis that was jerking but now smooth

oh just to add once more 1/16 carving bit worked on sample_project in the help menu ... will not work on this simple jig project using 1/16 carving bit but will crave with V bit. everything seems to work fine with photo carving with V bit and sample_project using 1/16 carving bit

Thank you all, 4 now:rolleyes:

Ike
01-30-2009, 12:28 AM
alrighty good night I bet you are tired!

Ike

fwharris
01-30-2009, 12:34 AM
Same here!

Ike
01-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Everything is moving smoothly. It's level. Board is flat ran though plainer. Measured gap from wood to bottom of cut motor equal.

Just don't make sense 1/16 bit machine don't like the rest of bits machine likes.
I have even check the bit to see about necks and so on. Looks good to me.

Got to hit the bed. Might take some pictures tomorrow and throw them up on here. Maybe something will come from it.

(support had me use a scale today) presser 87.5lb

Sears CC

that was the Y axis that was jerking but now smooth

Thank you all, 4 now:rolleyes:

You know what it might be the CC is trying to find the bit you first put into the machine. You said you got the cutting bit confused with the 1/16 carving bit? Well for each project say you design a project and assign a bit to make the carving. You assign a 60 degree V bit and you also need a 1/16 ballnose when you load the project and it asks for a 60 degree and you leave in the 1/16 ballnose thinking the CC won't know the difference. Then when running the project and it asks for the 60 degree it will check it but will not recognizes it, because it is looking for the same bit you ran in the setup.

The CC will memorize the height of the bit in the holder. Plus another thing make sure in the design you have the correct bits assigned.

Ike

liquidguitars
01-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Check Cut Motor
Enter

Please Clean Y Rails
Please Clean Y Rails

Ok time for the loose Zpack test , with the power off can you wiggle the Z pack motor on the top of the truck?
and is the installed bit loose? as a "Please Clean Y Rails" can also be a loose Z pack and or loose bit adater. I had the error not to long ago and it was a slopy bit in the QC!

LG

Outerside
01-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Ok I knew what the cut bit was that brock frist run. I thought my carving bit was 1/8 for some reason. Thats besides the point because I have ran thourgh the steps for the 1/16.

The Machine Never asked for anther bit. No bullnose, no V bit just 1/16 carving or 1/8 carving bit I had a choice between the two ("figure the carving bit they sent me was 1/8 why would the send smaller one for better detail, make the guy pay more money")

V bit was @#$% it I want to see this machine carve something before I go to bed.

So recap the mechine has only asked for carving bit to do the Jig thats the only thing I wanted to make

Outerside
01-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Zpack test Passed not loose

Ok so first picture is what I'm getting when I attempt the jig with what bit the machine tells me to. 1/16 carving bit. and I get Y stall or Clean Y rail and Check Cut Motor

second picture is when I said @#$% it I want to carve something so used a 60 V bit instead of 1/16 carving bit and as you can see it worked great except for sloop edges.

third picture: But hey what would it do on a photo put wood into jig asked for 1/16 caving bit Y Stall "hmm V bit worked on square, let's try it" of coarse hit middle, roller press the piece up. Square not deep enough. but it worked!

fourth picture: attempted sample_project in help menu. machine asked for 1/16 carving bit (of coarse I missed up on selecting 1/8 bit) but it worked

attempted to try Jig using 1/16 bit several times and still the same problems as before. first time, then upgrade of firmware, then lube Y rail, then redid file, then toke machine apart cleaning and lubing everything, then tighten belts. etc.

after every step I tried the jig project and still the same as picture 1

HighTechOkie
01-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Try tightening the set screws on the 1/16" carving bit. Sounds like the bit is sliding in the adapter. Also, make sure the bit is installed properly (per the manual) in the adapter. Last, make sure the adapter (with 1/16" bit installed) locks into the quick chuck by tugging on the bit once you snap it into the qc.

Since you can carve the same project(s) by substituting another bit than what is called for, the problem is most likely with the 1/16" carving bit.

Rob

Outerside
01-30-2009, 08:16 AM
I thought the second time trying that it was a loose bit. so I used some lock tight stuff and tighten down the screws also matched up the top of bit and adapter as the same rise in the manual.

I always use my finger nails with both hands on the grove of the adapter where the tool removal tool goes and pull down then I grab the bit and try to wiggle it out before I continue.

That's what I have been thinking but 1/16 carving bit worked with pic 4. So I'm wondering what step I'm missing. I went though the steps earlier and they seem right.

As pic 1 shows it seems when the carving bit dig in there is to much presser when move on y axis so machine stalls. So is new bit bad but works with pic 4, motor going to fast to slow, ???

FINGERS
01-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Hay outsider where in wisconsin do you live?

Jeff_Birt
01-30-2009, 08:41 AM
When you create a carve region, or any other sort of raster carving, you do not need to select a bit. The SW is smart enough to know to use the 1/16" carving bit automatically. If you manually selecting the bit You telling the machine to run the bit along the rectangle you drew. You can actually do both operations with the same geometry (rectangle) but to avoid confusion never select a bit on a raster style carving.

The other thing I noticed is that it looks like you are using #2 grade lumber for testing? The quality of wood you use will make a huge difference in the results you get. Generally you need to use 'select' grade or better. I do get some end pieces from a local cabinet shop and I'll cut out or carve around any knots etc, but it is still very high quality wood.

Outerside
01-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Welcome back Jeff

Mike close to Wausau area

The machine ask me to select bit.

As far as wood quality I was using #2 grade pine to start and figured it had to do with that so (the 1st pic) I tried Oak with no knot's

Outerside
01-30-2009, 09:23 AM
You know I think I'm going about this wrong. I'm thinking "Reconditioned. Why was it returned. Something over looked? Something bad on it?" going to try to take it down to Sears and find out.

Digitalwoodshop
01-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Just a few thoughts......

The 7 inch rule of wood..... Is your board being held by both rollers? Or is it popping up only being held by one roller. See tips and tricks for info on this.

Is your head level? Place a board in machine and hand move the chuck and bit and touch the tip to the board. Using options look at the Z data numbers or position data. Move the head to the other end of the board and check that number. If it is different, the head is not level. Remove the bottom and remove one screw for the cross connector shaft at the gear and adjust head level. Reattach cross link shaft.

Saw you use rough cut boards. A board that is tapered or thicker on one end or right or left side will cause problems. Using poor quality boards will break the X Drive gear if it jams.

Being you are using rough wood, is the edge that the brass roller touches perfect? Masking tape could help here.
AL

Outerside
01-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Just a few thoughts......

The 7 inch rule of wood..... Is your board being held by both rollers? Or is it popping up only being held by one roller. See tips and tricks for info on this.

Is your head level? Place a board in machine and hand move the chuck and bit and touch the tip to the board. Using options look at the Z data numbers or position data. Move the head to the other end of the board and check that number. If it is different, the head is not level. Remove the bottom and remove one screw for the cross connector shaft at the gear and adjust head level. Reattach cross link shaft.

Saw you use rough cut boards. A board that is tapered or thicker on one end or right or left side will cause problems. Using poor quality boards will break the X Drive gear if it jams.

Being you are using rough wood, is the edge that the brass roller touches perfect? Masking tape could help here.
AL

Yes 7 inch rule applies board 14" long square 5.38 center 4.31" both sides

both rollers are holding it down. Presser test at 87.5lb

Board is planed (oak) pine was not planed, thickness measures out

Read Tips & Tricks, Support Files, Software Tutorials Flash Videos, Manuals, Test drove software about 2 + weeks before I got the machine and still re-read pdf files.

The Jig was made by following instruction under support files "Cast Acrylic Jig Instructions" only different is size

I'm going to try your leveling see if it's something there.

fwharris
01-30-2009, 11:00 AM
You know I think I'm going about this wrong. I'm thinking "Reconditioned. Why was it returned. Something over looked? Something bad on it?" going to try to take it down to Sears and find out.

That could be your option out on this. Hard to say who "reconditioned" the machine. Not sure that Sears would do much other than let you return it / trade for another one. Good luck...

Outerside
01-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Tested Level of head
Use broad about 10" wide marked ever 1"
moved bit to touch board on marks measures as follows:

I don't think that is bad but... What do you think?

Digitalwoodshop
01-30-2009, 01:06 PM
I could live with that... Not a level problem.

?

AL

Outerside
01-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Well this is what I have to say.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME:-D

I'm returning the Reconditioned one and getting New one if same thing happens (which I don't think would, but I have been wrong maybe once or twice:D:D) everyone that said "read read read read" can say "read read read read read read" and I will say sorry I did not read it good enough the first four times.:-D.

And believe me you be hearing from me again:mrgreen:

Thanks again for going though the headache with me.

Jeff_Birt
01-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Hey, we have all been there and had our own moments of troubles. I am always in awe of the great group of folks on this forum. They never cease to amaze me with their willingness to pitch in and help a fellow carver out.

Ike
01-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Well this is what I have to say.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME:-D

I'm returning the Reconditioned one and getting New one if same thing happens (which I don't think would, but I have been wrong maybe once or twice:D:D) everyone that said "read read read read" can say "read read read read read read" and I will say sorry I did not read it good enough the first four times.:-D.

And believe me you be hearing from me again:mrgreen:

Thanks again for going though the headache with me.

Hey quick question did you pay $1600. for a recondition machine? If so the new will be more. Why don't you buy a CW brand from Jason LittleRedwoodshop or Amazon.com and Harbor Freight. all 3 places sell them for $1699.00 and you can cut out Sears all together!

Don't get me wrong I like Craftsman tools and have 3 brand new tools from their pro series. But in this case they are still new with the CC/CW

PS did you read my PM I sent to you?

Ike

cnsranch
01-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Ike, I've bought tons of stuff from Harbor Freight, got two of them in town, and I enjoy poking around in their store.

That said, I'm not sure I'd buy a CW from them.

Jason's the man, or buy directly from CW.

Just my opinion.

Ike
01-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh I know, but it is the same machine Jason sells. But I agree Jason is the best choice, I guess you can buy it directly from CW if you have the money to pay more! I believe Jason is still selling his for $1699.00? CW is $1899.00 and Amazon.com is $1699.00 and Harbor freight is also $1699.00. Sears is $1999.00 and reconditioned $1499.00

Just wanted to give outsider other options other then Sears!

Ike

Yep just checked and Jason is selling the CW for $1699.99 and free shipping like Amazon and HF

Dan-Woodman
01-30-2009, 03:06 PM
and Lowe's is $1798.00 but wait--you can also get the carving bit and adapter for $28.98 shipped to your nearby store free.
later Daniel

p.s.I'm unimployed for the next 12 days

atauer
01-30-2009, 03:49 PM
p.s.I'm unimployed for the next 12 days

Sorry to hear that Dan. Hope all is well...

Outerside
01-30-2009, 11:52 PM
the machine was 1400 something plus all bit sets and uncle Sam

Well a little to late guys it went back.
I did alot of complaining forked out another 400 + guy talked me into getting 5 year plan on it and in return he gave me 10% discount on top of 10% rebate.

So back to about same price as the old one with a 5 year plan instead of 6 month.

littleredwoodshop scares me have Zonealarm force field and everytime I click pattern files it pops up with:

This site you requested littleredwoodshop is known to distribute sypware

Think I'll stay away from site.

Outerside
01-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Ohh almost forgot

I looked at the machine sears That was on display and the Cut Motor and everything moveable had tie wraps on them. WOW recondition one was shipped with nothing holding the cut motor. hmmm maybe a problem???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

fwharris
01-31-2009, 12:16 AM
the machine was 1400 something plus all bit sets and uncle Sam

Well a little to late guys it went back.
I did alot of complaining forked out another 400 + guy talked me into getting 5 year plan on it and in return he gave me 10% discount on top of 10% rebate.

So back to about same price as the old one with a 5 year plan instead of 6 month.

littleredwoodshop scares me have Zonealarm force field and everytime I click pattern files it pops up with:

Think I'll stay away from site.

Not sure what is up with the zone alarm bit. I have not had any problems with anything like that and have been on his site a bunch. Hope your new reconditioned machine arrives in good shape and works like a charm..and thanks for the update..

LittleRedWoodshop
01-31-2009, 12:53 AM
Just a heads up - my site does not, nor has it ever distributed spyware. The files that are there are hosted on a secure server - so please, let's not slander someone that had nothing to do with this conversation.

I greatly appreciate all of the kind words from the folks here.

And, by the way, my sales are done on a totally different site. Store.LittleRedWoodshop.com (http://www.store.littleredwoodshop.com/).

Please feel free to continue shopping - but, when you have questions feel free to give me a call.

Thanks again guys - nice to have friends.

hess
01-31-2009, 06:37 AM
[QUOTE=Outerside;79314]tg

I dont know Jason from Adam but I have been on his sties ALLOT in the last weeks. I run Nortons, adaware, spybot, and a program the Justice Dept uses and just for the heck of it I ran a check none came up with anything

BTW sears is 1799 after a rebate and they are running a 12 mos no pay with another 10% off + if you have a new card you get another 10 % I just ordered another and it came to 1630 before ship Jason is still less cause he pays ship but I had to do the 12mos thing

Hess

Amonaug
01-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Just a note, ZoneAlarm is a flaky program. I wouldn't put too much stock into it's "warnings".

Digitalwoodshop
01-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Just a note, ZoneAlarm is a flaky program. I wouldn't put too much stock into it's "warnings".

I bet it is just a "Feel Good" factor they bottle into the spyware giving false alarms so you tell your friends and they feel the need to buy it too..... And you "Feel Good" you got your money's worth. A marketing ploy. (Just MY opinion)

I wouldn't put much stock into it either.

Like Jason said, He is a stand up site, not in business to rip you off.

AL

Ike
01-31-2009, 01:47 PM
I bet it is just a "Feel Good" factor they bottle into the spyware giving false alarms so you tell your friends and they feel the need to buy it too..... And you "Feel Good" you got your money's worth. A marketing ploy. (Just MY opinion)

I wouldn't put much stock into it either.

Like Jason said, He is a stand up site, not in business to rip you off.

AL

Absolutely, Jason is 100% safe I recommended him first and 2 other sources just for a choice. Even line out the prices wow that was a low blow! :roll:

Ike

Outerside
01-31-2009, 05:45 PM
No disrespect to littleredwoodshop.com not trying to bring the site down. I added Screen shots just to show what I saw. now when I click PTN02 it goes to www.tallented.hypermart.net to download file that is the page that gets flagged.

Again no disrespect was intended

LittleRedWoodshop
01-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Just telling you what I know - site is secure - wouldn't have it any other way. If you get that message when you try to download the FREE FILES then don't download them.

Tom75
02-01-2009, 04:05 PM
i have been on jasons site meny times and looked at the patterns and had no problems . it is safe .

wasacop75
02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I have to agree with Jason. IF you dont like or are afraid of the free patterns on his site, dont download them. Its that simple. There are lots of other sites out there offering free patterns. We all have to watch out for each other and each other's sites and make sure there are no problems with the patterns.:roll:

hess
02-01-2009, 11:22 PM
No disrespect to littleredwoodshop.com not trying to bring the site down. I added Screen shots just to show what I saw. now when I click PTN02 it goes to www.tallented.hypermart.net to download file that is the page that gets flagged.

Again no disrespect was intended

Hi Outer side. You may wish to find another AV program, not because I think ether way about ZA but I think what you show there with your screen shot may be whats called "phishing" that is went when you pick a site your browser is sent to a different one. this is done via adware or other programs that may have been down loaded to you pc while on line.

This is what I get when I just Jason's site out
Hess

Phishing Protection has scanned this Web page and determined that it does not use an encrypted transmission protocol, does not contain a password form field, and there is no indication of fraud. The Web page address and content have been analyzed and found authentic.

hess
02-01-2009, 11:25 PM
I have to agree with Jason. IF you dont like or are afraid of the free patterns on his site, dont download them. Its that simple. There are lots of other sites out there offering free patterns. We all have to watch out for each other and each other's sites and make sure there are no problems with the patterns.:roll:

Hey Im new tell me where the free patterns are I got Jason's

Thanks Hess

geekviking
02-01-2009, 11:42 PM
You are looking for free patterns, a good place to check is www.compucarvewright.com I've gotten quite a few good ones there as well as this forum...

hess
02-02-2009, 02:22 AM
Geek thanks

Hess

JOHNB
02-02-2009, 05:21 AM
also; http://www.allcw.com/ ..and http://www.carvebuddy.com/index.html

hess
02-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Thank you sir
Hess

Amonaug
02-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Hi Outer side. You may wish to find another AV program, not because I think ether way about ZA but I think what you show there with your screen shot may be whats called "phishing" that is went when you pick a site your browser is sent to a different one. this is done via adware or other programs that may have been down loaded to you pc while on line.

This is what I get when I just Jason's site out
Hess

Phishing Protection has scanned this Web page and determined that it does not use an encrypted transmission protocol, does not contain a password form field, and there is no indication of fraud. The Web page address and content have been analyzed and found authentic.

Actually that is where Jason has the pattern files hosted so it's not being redirected.