PDA

View Full Version : Compound Carve Regions

DocWheeler
01-29-2009, 10:59 AM
While trying to make a carve region with a center at zero depth and with feathered sides, I stumbled on this and thought I'd share it.

I do not understand how it works, but it does. I tried various other methods and they all seemed to give flaky results. If someone knows a better way, please share it!

Each figure is composed four segments connect in a manner to create a single line. It gets tricky moving them into position, so you will have to do quite a bit of attaching points after the lines are joined. But after you get it all in position, you can create a carve region.

For the circles, set the radius of the four arcs to the size you want and center the focus point of each radius to center for all four arcs. have the end-points separated so that you can easily identify them and then draw lines to join the ends making sure that you end up with one continuous line (one line will have to cross another one to do this). Then start centering the points to the appropriate axis to make sure they are atop one another.

Note, I took off many attachments so that I could move them from the center so that both could be shown on one board.

Edit: After another try, I was able to do it more simply- see last photo.

rcdages
01-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Hello Doc,

Just wanted to say congratulations on being in the Customer Spot Light.

I have always enjoyed what you have shared on the forum and it has been help full.

Your work is out standing.

How do you like 1.132 ?

I just received my CD of 1.132 last week from CW and need to load it up this weeekend.

Is there and + or - one needed to watch with 1.132 ?

Thank you,
Robert

DocWheeler
01-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Roger,

Thank you for your kind comments.

I have only done one carving with 1.132, I had just recently moved to 1.131 and had them confused because AskBud asked me how I liked it, I reported my experience with 1.131 rather than the newer version. (hope he sees this)

I had designed something, the thing that triggered the need for the region in the first post, when Ike started the "Contest". Since my first attempt shows me what I'm doing wrong, I told Ike that I'd make some changes to make it qualify and if it came out halfway decent, I'd enter it. The less than two-hour "best" carve took almost four hours with the new Optimal setting. I can not say that I saw a major difference in the result.