PDA

View Full Version : Another question - Can the CW make this?

Florida Don
01-28-2009, 09:16 PM
First, thanks all for your replies to my prospective newbie thread.

I do have one question.

I think this machine will have this capability, but thought I'd check first.

I would like to cut a 60* (degree) cone into a circular piece of Delron or Nylon 5" in diameter and 5" tall. The cone would be 4" diameter at the (top) which would actually be the base and about 4" tall. I am looking to make a mold - so this would be the female part.

The part in question is the extra 7" in the workpiece I have read about.

If it can't be done with the dimensions above - would it work with a 5" thick piece of material that is say 6" wide by 1' long?

Thanks for your input as this may be the deciding factor as to how soon I buy one of these beauties or not.

Florida Don

Deolman
01-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Don't forget the maximum depth of cut for the 1/16" carving bit is 3/4". Yes you can carve on 5" material but you can only carve to the 3/4" depth. 3/4" is the length of the flutes on the 1/16" bit.

Florida Don
01-29-2009, 08:24 AM
So the head does not "plunge" - IOW no real Z axis?

I guess, I could make it in sections. I will have to think a bit on that.

Thanks,

Florida Don

Digitalwoodshop
01-29-2009, 10:58 AM
So the head does not "plunge" - IOW no real Z axis?

I guess, I could make it in sections. I will have to think a bit on that.

Thanks,

Florida Don

The head does plunge but with limitations..... Don't KICK it until you understand it is a HOBBY machine. Sounds like you need a $10K Shop Bot, not a $2K Carvewright.

It IS designed for WOOD and the feed rates are NOT adjustable like the $10K Shop Bot... Did I say $10K..... The High Density Plastic could work.

AL

Florida Don
01-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Al,

Once again - thanks!

The purpose of the machine would not be just for making molds.

That is another project I am working on. I was just thinking that instead of having the molds made - which I am in the process of getting quotations - if I could make them on this machine - it would be an easy choice.

A friend mentioned the Shop Bot last night. I will check into them.

Florida Don

forqnc
01-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Yes it does have a Z axis (up and down) movement, what it does not have is a B axis (4th axis) to move the head in a pendulum arc, which sounds like what you need.
There was rumours early last year about a possible 4th axis upgrade, but nothing has been heard of or confirmed.
As Al says it sounds like you will need a high end CNC with at least 4 Axis, if not 5.
Good Luck