PDA

View Full Version : Prospective Newbie with questions

Florida Don
01-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Hi All,

First, I am a woodturner, but love working with wood period.

Thus, I am interested in the Carvewright.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions.

1. What should you "really" have to do the proper job on a Carvewright?
2. Do you "need" the probe? Is this something I would want to buy at a later date or is it something I will need anyhow and will want from the beginning.
3. What is centerline text? The reason I ask is that there is a guy who has a machine for sale on Craigslist (said he used it twice) and he told me I would want the C/L text option and the probe. He said he had "all" the extras - I really don't know what that means. Nor do I know the proper questions to ask. The seller is asking $2200. Don't know if that is a fair price or not as I seem to find them for much less online.

Thanks for any advice you can pass along.

Florida Don

cnsranch
01-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Hi All,

2. Do you "need" the probe? Is this something I would want to buy at a later date or is it something I will need anyhow and will want from the beginning.
3. What is centerline text? The reason I ask is that there is a guy who has a machine for sale on Craigslist (said he used it twice) and he told me I would want the C/L text option and the probe. He said he had "all" the extras - I really don't know what that means. Nor do I know the proper questions to ask. The seller is asking $2200. Don't know if that is a fair price or not as I seem to find them for much less online.

Florida Don

If you're in Florida, you'll be carving 12 months out of the year, and will certainly have the time to use the probe. It's a really cool add-on to the machine.

You don't have to have Centerline, but you'll wish you had it.

The guy on CL is asking way too much - check out Jason Allen aka littleredwoodshop, or CW's website.

I bought my machine last Feb at the KC woodworking show - got the probe, centerline and the machine - I've never once regretted it.

TWOATLOW8
01-28-2009, 02:49 PM
plus you will want the warranty, if you buy it from him you will not get any...

unless this is your second machine and you know the ins and outs

badger
01-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Just purchased my second machine, will be glad to have it as a backup.

jcorder
01-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi All,

Florida Don

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The machine comes packaged with a carving bit and a cut bit. When I purchased my machine, I also bought the full set of bits and the probe. I was really glad I bought both at that time after I started learning what I had. The full bit set offers the vector bits for using the centerline text. The centerline gives you the ability to make text on the wood look as it does on your word processor.
The probe is something I have not used much, but the designer software that comes with the probe is well worth the cost when you get the probe and it for one price.
Get in touch with Jason and get a quote from him. He has amazing prices on the entire package, machine, bits and probe. You will not be sorry you purchased all of them together.

Good luck
Jeff

dustybones
01-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Can I get contact info for Jason? He sells the machine I read, but did not see contact info. Also, I am thinking seriously of purchasing, but a bit spooked about the negative reviews. I understand a new operator must learn the ropes and I have done a bunch of sigh work with vynil and graphics. My main concern is the warranty that states the warranty is void for commercial use. I don't plan heavy use but want to produce at least 10-20 simple text signs a day. ( average). Don't want to wast my hard earned money and I hope the company has overcome most of the problems. Honest thoughts please.

Thanks

Dyna Rider
01-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey Don

Lowe’s sell the machine, bits and probe and they have a return policy. They also sometimes offer promotions when you sign up for or use their credit card. The Centerline Text and Pattern Editor software is a non-transferable license and as already pointed out the used machine will have no warranty.
Here’s a link to the machines manual and limited warranty statement. Once their click on CarveWright Manual under Downloads
http://carvewright.com/cms/downloads
This link is for the Centerline text
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/centerline-text

Bill

mifflinlake
01-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Here is the info for Jasons store

http://littleredwoodshop.com/387701/index.html

Florida Don
01-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Do you mean that anyone who buys a used machine with the C/L text cannot use the software? What if it was not used and never registered?

Florida Don

Digitalwoodshop
01-29-2009, 11:25 AM
First thing is LHR will not warranty the second owner of the machine and you really need the warranty. Especially if you are thinking of doing high density plastics like another post.

The software you download FREE to play with for 30 days is the same software that is activated with no expiration date like the free trial software.

With this you get Raster and Outline text. Centerline text that you cut with a V60 and V90 bit is a EXTRA and is not transferable to the second owner. If you are a Vinyl Sign shop then you will want the Centerline Text. 3/4 of my business last year was wood signs.

If Carvewright knows you are using the machine for Commercial use they COULD refuse any warranty work. Using it for commercial work you will blow through the 200 cut motor hours in a short time and don't expect it to last a year. So you send the machine in with 201 hours expecting a free repair under warranty and they will tell you, the machine is now fixed and please send $300.00 PLUS dollars now to get it back. So don't plan to pull the wool over LHR's eyes.

I have used my machine for my business but in the beginning they didn't look too hard when you wanted a warranty repair, but times are changing....

It is very common that a warranty repair is accompanied with sand paper belt replacement and a flex shaft replacement that is not covered and they WILL want there money before they send the machine back.... It has been posted a few times by angry users.... But they have to make a profit.... They have been MORE than GIVING for over a year and a half... Giving out TONS of FREE parts to users.... The Gravy Train is OVER....

I just ordered $700.00 worth of parts, belts, bits, bit holders for the upcoming Sign seasion....

If you ARE a Vinyl Business with a TAX ID the parts and operating the machine is just a business expense.

It COULD be a stepping stone for you to get a Shop Bot in a few years. I see a bunch of Shop Bots for sale in FLA.....

If you do it as a business you had better have a buddy near you with a machine because you will have down time. I have 3 machines.

See my website for the style signs I do. The 4 x 4 post signs and brown signs are made using the OUTLINE Text, Modern Font, and the 3/8 inch bit. Looks like the hand router ed signs with plastic template. You could make them without centerline text but you will need centerline.

As for the probe, I have one but have never used it yet. The Probe can be sold as a spare but you must purchase the probe software with a probe or at least the software to use one. Software and any PAY Serial Number Patterns are NOT transferable to a new owner.

Don't be fooled on CL and eBay..... I would buy a machine from Jason.....

Once you get the handle of it a second machine with NO warranty could be useful..... They track all machine serial numbers and will know the history of the machine and what was registered. The Probe Software they say was not registered but LHR might or might NOT honor it....

They are playing HARD BALL with money and I for one am GLAD to SEE IT.... Why?.... Because I want THEM TO STAY IN BUSINESS.... Without them, the machine will be a 95 pound paper weight in a short time.

There is NO second source for the QC, Motors, Data Card and Computer.

If you buy one, go into this with your eyes OPEN and read all you can including the manual. I would hate to see the first post after getting the machine be...... "I cranked the head all the way up and now it WON'T crank down.... It just CLICKS..... This is JUNK !!!!!!" And we will reply... Open your Operators Manual and READ the FIX.... This just proves you never opened the manual to everyone....

Stepping off my soap box.....

Good Luck.

Spend time reading Tips and Tricks to see what it can do.

AL

Florida Don
01-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Al,

Thanks much for the advice.

I think more of my concern is that I have a basic premise for buying equipment.

I buy the best I can afford. When I upgrade, I sell the old equipment and look at is as just renting it for the difference.

So, what really concerns me is if I bought one and wanted to sell it, it could be a White Elephant.

Let me also say, that I have no problem with LHR not covering the warranty for the second owner. I can clearly see why. Perhaps they could consider doing so for a fee? However, I do have a problem with the L/C software not being able to be used by a second user. That just doesn't seem right to me. Once again, perhaps they would sell a discounted license.

Let's face it - these machines are nice and useful. But they are something that is used for a hobby. It is not like they are in demand like ie: Windows software

Regardless, I will read all I can on the unit and make a decision.

Thanks to all for your help.

Florida Don