PDA

View Full Version : Merging 2 patterns

MikeMcCoy
01-27-2009, 11:16 AM
I tried the search but can't find anything. The CW help files hasn't turned on any light bulbs yet either. :) I'm doing (or trying to) do a plaque for a retiring USMC MSGT who is also an honorary Navy Senior Chief (actually went through the initiation).

I'm trying to merge the E-8 insignia for both services so it will carve 1/2 of each and appear as a single insignia with each joined side by side at the middle position. I've tried using carve region to get rid of 1/2 of a device but I can't get the other to move part way over the other since the carve region nulls the one I'm trying to join. Hopefully that makes since as I can't post the .mpc since the USMC insignia is a CW commercial pattern.

mtylerfl
01-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Really tough to offer much advice without seeing the layout, but you are correct not to post it if it has a commercial pattern on it.

I assume you have tried the different Merge functions, outlined one pattern to create a "custom carve region" to seat it lower, and the obvious things like changing Height and Depth settings.

Amonaug
01-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Try right-clciking the pattern and playing with the clipping options. I'll try to post an example later.

mtylerfl
01-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Yes, Clip Exclusive might do the trick, depending on the effect you're after.

If you want the patterns in a carve region, draw the region and set the depth, then make it "Merge Style Additive"

Place the patterns and assign one or both "Clip Exclusive"

Where the patterns touch/overlap, one will "cancel out" the other within the Carve Region.

MikeMcCoy
01-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks all - I don't have the patterns at my current location but I'll play with it some more in the morning.

Digitalwoodshop
01-28-2009, 12:31 PM
A honorary Navy Senior Chief..... That is pretty COOL.....

Please post your final result.

AL

Initiation.... Lots of raw eggs..... and a few "Baloot's"....

Retired Navy Chief

Amonaug
01-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Sorry it took so long, I've been rather busy looking for a job.

Here's the example of clipping.

MikeMcCoy
01-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks Kevin - I see what you meant now and I might be able to figure mine out now. :)