PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Belts?

RanUtah
01-25-2009, 09:09 AM
I just had a belt tear on me and just replaced it with one of my spares but was wondering if anyone has used any of the new rubber traction belts and how do you like or dislike them.

ChrisAlb
01-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Randy,

I've never used them but I hear they're pretty tough. I just can't get past the price. Since I got over 400 hours from my original belts, I figure I can buy quite a few sets for the cost of the new ones.

Still, it would be nice to know how long they last.

Jeff_Birt
01-25-2009, 11:03 AM
I installed my set of rubber belts yesterday. My first impression is that they are quite 'grippy'. I suspect that tracking should be improved. They are thicker than the sandpaper belts, so you have to install some spacers under the squaring plate and use a new smaller OD o-ring on the board tracking sensor.

The sandpaper belts i took off were my machine were the originals. While they still worked OK, I suspect that my board tracking would have improved if I had put my spare set of sandpaper belts on; no doubt that the gradual decline in their performance over the last 2+ years was hard to notice. From the looks of the new belts I doubt that anyone could ever wear them out, they look to be a lifetime replacement. I think I'll put my spare set of belts up for sale because I'll never need them :)

The other good thing is that the replacement instructions for them also cover checking the belt drive roller for looseness and alignment. Everything you need to do so is in the kit (except loc-tite for the set screws.) I did find one of my drive rollers had a bit of play so it was good to catch it before it became a problem.

There are also some new calibrations that can be done on the machine. I had some trouble with the new 'Belt Calibration', but I understand the CW guys are still tweaking it to help us really fine tune our machines tracking.

All-in-all, I think the new Kevlar reinforced rubber belts and calibration functions are a big improvement.

Pratyeka
01-25-2009, 12:11 PM
There are also some new calibrations that can be done on the machine. I had some trouble with the new 'Belt Calibration', but I understand the CW guys are still tweaking it to help us really fine tune our machines tracking.

All-in-all, I think the new Kevlar reinforced rubber belts and calibration functions are a big improvement.

are these "new belt calibration" function already available in the latest software? Did I miss an update? I'm using 1.132

Jeff_Birt
01-25-2009, 03:58 PM
The calibration menu is available, key in '0', then '6'. I would steer clear of the belt calibration for now. Myself and at least one other 'beta' tester are having some issues with it (in other words only some machines have an issue). CW is working on it now.

Ike
01-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Are these rubber belts availible from CW or is there another source?

Ike

Jeff_Birt
01-25-2009, 04:42 PM
You can get them from the CarveWright store: http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=18944&cat=250&page=1

RanUtah
01-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Maybe I'll hold off til all the tweaking is done.

dragoncarver
03-15-2009, 12:18 PM
i also keep spare belts but it sounds like i will not need them if i purchase the new ones since this thread is almost 2 months old has lhr finished tweaking?

thanks

Jeff_Birt
03-15-2009, 02:34 PM
The new belt calibration routines on the machine are working great. I know CW is working on a how-to sheet on the new features but I'm not sure when it will be released.

Rocky
03-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Maybe I'll hold off til all the tweaking is done.

For now, I've come to the same conclusion. Besides the cost, it does appear that there are some issues LHR needs to work out (and I'm sure they will). Other than the original belt I accidentally damaged (my bad), I'm quite happy with the performance of the "regular" belts.

ironsides
05-20-2009, 08:41 PM
I installed my set of rubber belts yesterday. My first impression is that they are quite 'grippy'. I suspect that tracking should be improved. They are thicker than the sandpaper belts, so you have to install some spacers under the squaring plate and use a new smaller OD o-ring on the board tracking sensor.

The sandpaper belts i took off were my machine were the originals. While they still worked OK, I suspect that my board tracking would have improved if I had put my spare set of sandpaper belts on; no doubt that the gradual decline in their performance over the last 2+ years was hard to notice. From the looks of the new belts I doubt that anyone could ever wear them out, they look to be a lifetime replacement. I think I'll put my spare set of belts up for sale because I'll never need them :)

The other good thing is that the replacement instructions for them also cover checking the belt drive roller for looseness and alignment. Everything you need to do so is in the kit (except loc-tite for the set screws.) I did find one of my drive rollers had a bit of play so it was good to catch it before it became a problem.

Jeff,
Are you still happy with the new Kevlar reinforced rubber belts?
I ordered a set when they were first announced, but have not had the need to install them yet.

ironsides:)

TerryT
05-20-2009, 09:08 PM
I have been trying to order a set for two days. LHR is not answering, anyone have a set they would like to sell? I guess it is good that they are too busy to take orders! Good for you LHR, but I still need a replacement set of traction belts.

mfdchief
05-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Terry,

I got mine in about 5 days and live in Iowa. The replacement was simple enough but now I am having issues. (see my "scale to Length" post) I think when my issue is resolved they will be great. I am now waiting on the 3/8 jointing bit from CW to do a "Belt Calibration" Good luck

Mark

supershingler
05-20-2009, 09:53 PM
terry

i needed to order some bit holders and couldnt get through to tech support so i tried the sales no. and got right through and the gal took my order for parts.

see if that helps

good luck

kendall

hess
05-21-2009, 04:47 AM
Terry,

I got mine in about 5 days and live in Iowa. The replacement was simple enough but now I am having issues. (see my "scale to Length" post) I think when my issue is resolved they will be great. I am now waiting on the 3/8 jointing bit from CW to do a "Belt Calibration" Good luck

Mark

Hey where you at in IA

Hess

mfdchief
05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Hess,

I live in Maquoketa...don't even TRY to pronounce it if your'e not familiar with the area :-)

It is directly between Davenport and Dubuque.

Mark