PDA

View Full Version : Neoclassical Keepsake

RBeau1954
01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
My wife loved this and told me to keep it and found a great place for it in our family room.

FINGERS
01-24-2009, 06:01 PM
That came out very nice, how long did it take to carve.

RBeau1954
01-24-2009, 06:19 PM
It took about 5 hours on normal, if I remember right, best was going to be like 8 hrs. This is the Neoclassical Keepsake box that I bought at the Carvewright Store. I love it and I am pleased the way it turned out. I made it out of Walnut and finished it with General finishes Arm-r-Seal.

Kenm810
01-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Rick,

A Really Great looking keepsake project
Nicely Done. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Michael Anthony
01-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Rick that box is very beautiful, does it have a lift off lid or is it hinged? Very nice job!!!:D

RBeau1954
01-24-2009, 07:31 PM
I didn't show the other pic, it is hinged and there is a tray that will go on there that I am still working on.

Tom75
01-24-2009, 07:48 PM
that is great looking . good job:)

SharonB
01-25-2009, 12:07 AM
A spectacular job with the box. Tell your wife if she gets tired of it I have a good spot to show it off here in Central Oregon. SharonB

Rocky
01-25-2009, 05:15 AM
It took about 5 hours on normal, if I remember right, best was going to be like 8 hrs. This is the Neoclassical Keepsake box that I bought at the Carvewright Store. I love it and I am pleased the way it turned out. I made it out of Walnut and finished it with General finishes Arm-r-Seal.

Rick, very nicely done project. It really looks professional. How do you like using Arm-r-Seal? I've never tried it because I was told that once you open the can, you have to use it or the remaining amount will gel and become useless in a month or so. What has been your experience?

RBeau1954
01-25-2009, 10:28 AM
I love using Arm-r-seal made by General finishes, the box was done with a can I used half of about a year ago. If you make sure you clean the lip and seal it up nice and tight it will last a long time. Arm-r-seal is a great finish to use on woods you are not going to stain like walnut, cherry or maple, very easy to put on and looks beautiful. I put on a coat and when dry, usually about a day, use a white pad and rub it down, put on another coat and do the same with a white pad. White pads are comparable to 0000 steel wool. I usually put 3 coats on. I use a satin finish as the final coat, I use gloss for the first coat or two and finish with satin. If you put too many coats of satin or semi gloss on a project it will look muddy, so put on gloss and do your final coat in the finish of your choice.

mtylerfl
01-25-2009, 05:23 PM
My wife loved this and told me to keep it and found a great place for it in our family room.

Rick that came out beautiful! Super job!

Rocky
01-25-2009, 06:19 PM
I love using Arm-r-seal made by General finishes, the box was done with a can I used half of about a year ago. If you make sure you clean the lip and seal it up nice and tight it will last a long time. Arm-r-seal is a great finish to use on woods you are not going to stain like walnut, cherry or maple, very easy to put on and looks beautiful. I put on a coat and when dry, usually about a day, use a white pad and rub it down, put on another coat and do the same with a white pad. White pads are comparable to 0000 steel wool. I usually put 3 coats on. I use a satin finish as the final coat, I use gloss for the first coat or two and finish with satin. If you put too many coats of satin or semi gloss on a project it will look muddy, so put on gloss and do your final coat in the finish of your choice.

Rick, thanks for the feedback.

myairplane
02-01-2009, 02:16 PM
When you uploaded the Lid to your card, what did you choose for the question "ignore, Manual jig, auto jig"? The PDF that came with it simple says to upload...

Also, when choosing the quality, which did you use? "Normal, best or optimal"? (the manual doesn't explain the option "Optimal" at all, "Best" is the highest quality according to it).

I have enough Red Oak to make this box but I am wondering if its the best choice to make it out of?

Dennis

GrammaPam
02-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Sometimes we make our own luck and you do work for it every day. I think working at Woodcraft would be the coolest job in the world. You get to see and learn about all the products available, help others learn about them too and see the things and talk to the people that make the coolest stuff in the world. I'd never have any paycheck left to bring home. Do you like Trans-Dye?
G.P.

Beerfaced
02-01-2009, 04:18 PM
That is an excellent looking box Beau. I can see why your wife wanted you to keep it. I was wondering what the dimensions are?

Rob