PDA

View Full Version : Help finding patterns

horsebum1
01-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Any suggestions for finding patterns with horses? Mainly simple jumper horses, dresssage horses, etc - like you would find on farm signs.

Also help on understanding:

For cleaner cutting I guess i need Vector images right? Because they are line connected images instead of pixels...(For the carved into the wood look (for a wood burnt look finish)) but I don't have Adobe Illustrator (.ai) and can't afford that right now

For 3-d i need raster images right? Because they give depth perception.

Any tips on finding good horse patterns (Or converting farm logos) into things I can use?

Thanks!

ChrisAlb
01-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Any suggestions for finding patterns with horses? Mainly simple jumper horses, dresssage horses, etc - like you would find on farm signs.

Also help on understanding:

For cleaner cutting I guess i need Vector images right? Because they are line connected images instead of pixels...(For the carved into the wood look (for a wood burnt look finish)) but I don't have Adobe Illustrator (.ai) and can't afford that right now

For 3-d i need raster images right? Because they give depth perception.

Any tips on finding good horse patterns (Or converting farm logos) into things I can use?

Thanks!

For "finding" them I'd use goggle and search the net. For the line drawing type I searched Horse Line Drawings and came up with many sites. Some free, some are not.

For 3D patterns it would be a bit tougher as first, there aren't many out there that could be simply imported into Designer and second, I doubt you'd find any for free.

For 3D patterns your best bet's are the pattern depot on the CarveWright site or Carvebuddy.com. There are a few very nice ones and the prices are very reasonable.

The first picture is two patterns at carvebuddy. The bottom 2 are the same pattern but one is rotated down in Designer to make it look like it's jumping instead of rearing.

The second picture is one I just found doing the line drawing search above. All I did was import it into designer as a pattern, place the pattern on the board, right click on it and select outline patterns, apply the 1/16" ball nose bit at .031" deep, then delete the pattern. The third picture is the result.

No other software was used. Unless this is not what you're looking for, you really don't need Adobe Illustrator or any other software to get this from line drawings.