PDA

View Full Version : Plunge vs non-plunge bits

DStimpson
01-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Hey guys,

I have all these nice new bits for different profiles and I guess I am not sure how to use them most effectively, so I am coming to the oracle that is the Carvewright forum.

I have a question about using the bits other than the 1/8" and 1/16" carving bits.

I assume that the bits such as the ballnose bits and the flat bottom bits ARE NOT plunge cutting bits.

So how would I cut a ballnose shaped rectangle on a project? Or a flatbottomed feature that doesn't start outside of the dimensions of the board?

And although I haven't tried the ogee bit or the round over bit on the edges of a project, are they accurate enough to mill a comparable outside profile to what my router table will do?

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
DStimpson

ChrisAlb
01-24-2009, 06:44 AM
All the CarveWight bits in the box are indeed plunge bits and will work perfectly starting anywhere in the board. That's exactly what they are designed to do and they do it very well.

This was done with the 3/8 classical at 3/8 deep. Both the inner and outer profiles were cut and then the cut out was done.

Amonaug
01-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Non-plunge bits that are talked about are bits used in hand routers and have a guide bearing on the bottom of the bit such as

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-32-522-Multi-Rabbet-Router-Bearings/dp/B00004T7FE

a bit without the bearing is a plunge bit.

jonweis
01-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Non-plunge bits that are talked about are bits used in hand routers and have a guide bearing on the bottom of the bit such as

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-32-522-Multi-Rabbet-Router-Bearings/dp/B00004T7FE

a bit without the bearing is a plunge bit.

Actually not correct. Several bits without bearings are not designed for "plunging" into material unless they have a cutting edge that extends to the bottom or lowest portion of the bit, otherwise the bit would burn the surface rather than cutting into it.

DStimpson
01-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Well thanks y'all....that cleared that up....

I really appreciate the help.

Amonaug
01-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Actually not correct. Several bits without bearings are not designed for "plunging" into material unless they have a cutting edge that extends to the bottom or lowest portion of the bit, otherwise the bit would burn the surface rather than cutting into it.

OK, I may have oversimplified it a bit. :)

Suffice it to say all the bits that are sold for the CW are plunge bits.