PDA

View Full Version : 3 or 4 flute carving bit

Dan-Woodman
01-23-2009, 10:34 PM
I done a little research on the 1/16" carving bit
On the Lowe's website they advertize the three flute carving bit from carvewright. I got a 3- flute with my machine 3-years ago.
On Pricisebits website, they advertize a four flute 1/16" tapered carving bit for use with the CW.
My thoughts on this ( since CW added Optimal) would be to use the three flute bit for the rougher cuts,like draft ,normal and best,and use the four flute for Optimal. This might give even a smoother cut with Optimal setting.
What is everyones thoughts on this?
later Daniel

geekviking
01-23-2009, 11:24 PM
ever used the 4 flute, but if the tips on the bits are the same diameter and sharpness, wouldn't they achieve the same results?

Dan-Woodman
01-24-2009, 08:46 AM
4 flutes would give more cuts per inch at the same feed rate , and probably the flutes are not as deep as 3-flutes. Did you get your 4 flute with your machine order?
later Daniel

SeaCapt97
01-24-2009, 10:39 AM
For what it's worth. Freud recently came out with a 4 wing version of their standard router bits and bill them as their "premium" line along with a premium price. Haven't tried them but logic says Freud thinks the more flutes the better. MLCS claims that their 3 wing cutters produce 50% more cuts per inch than a two wing. Produce a noticeable improvement in results.

geekviking
01-24-2009, 03:04 PM
My 4 flute came with my CW... I did however recieve a 3 flute as a "Free Promotional Bit" when I purchased my CW from Machine Distributors. Have never used the three flute yet. So, do you really think the 4 flute should carve better?

mark1945
01-24-2009, 06:54 PM
I have a 4 flute and have been using it for a few weeks now.It is super with optimum in 132,made 2 projects with absolutely no sanding.

Dan-Woodman
01-24-2009, 07:33 PM
With 4 flutes and the new 3 flutes that MLCS has you need to slow down the feed rate as in optimal mode. Thats why I suggested maybe useing the 3 flute for the faster feed rate setting such as "draft, normal". And use the 4 flute for the slower feed rates like "best, optimal".
later Daniel

Pratyeka
01-30-2009, 04:28 PM
I 'm curious, why the need to slow down the feed rate with the four flutes? I got the PreciseBits carving bit and it does very nice finish using Best setting.

Jeff_Birt
01-30-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't think there is a need to slow down with a four flute bit. The more flutes the lower the chip load per flute. I suspect that with some more exotic materials you will see a difference in performance with a difference in the # of flutes. For instance when machining aluminum you generally use a tool with fewer #flutes per tool dia than you would for steel as aluminum tends to be a bit 'gummier' and clog up a tool with too many flutes. (It all has to do with chip load.)

I have used the 4-flute bits for a couple of years now on a variety of woods with no problems.

Dan-Woodman
01-30-2009, 09:59 PM
cramming 4 flutes into the tip end of a tapered 1/16" carving bit , theres not enough room on the cutter to make the flutes as deep as on a 3 flute. I think it would be OK on best or optimal maybe even normal ,but I would think it would leave a very rough finish on Draft
On Draft the rows or lines maybe .005 apart , whereas Optimal maybe .002 apart.(just an example) The larger gullets on a 3 flute would extract a larger amount of chips than a 4 flute with smaller gullets.
( just my thoughts)
later Daniel