PDA

View Full Version : Poblem clamping down

John DeMaio
01-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm glad I finally found this forum! I have been using the CarveWright machine for about a year now with only some minor issues and enjoy working with it. Unfortunately, I am having a problem now, all of a sudden, where the machine does not clamp down. It acts as though it is already down on the board.

I tried searching for this problem, but I couldn't find anything on these forums . . . perhaps because I don't know the proper terminology for the problem. Does anyone out there know what might be the cause?

More info: Nothing in my setup has changed . . . it just stopped cranking down - the handle spins freely and it just clicks like it is already down. No problem moving it up at all, just going down. If I spin the threaded rods on the inside of the machine by hand I can get it to move down, but as you probably know, that it very difficult to get to. If this has been discussed already please point me in the right direction. Thanks for the help!!

John

Kenm810
01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Just a couple of thoughts, The temperature in your shop can effect the way the machine operates,
it doesn't like temperatures below 60 Degrees, the metal and plastic parts
expand and contract at different speeds and amounts.
Not getting roller pressure is just one of the problems.
Plus cleaning and lubricating the corner guide posts can often help.

Ps. Welcome to the CW Forum

Eagle Hollow
01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
John,

Check this out:http://www.carvewright.com/forum/att...1&d=1191280559

Kenm810
01-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Try that agian Jerry there's nothing there :confused:

Eagle Hollow
01-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Ken,

I didn't see your previous post before I posted mine. You covered the basics of remedy. I wonder if the forum monitors deleted that thread.

Thanks for pointing it out.

twiceretired
01-23-2009, 01:14 PM
try this link

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...=head+lowering

That link won't work either.
try searching for "head+lowering"

Deolman
01-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Have you tried downloading the troubleshooting PDF from this post? (Top of the page - troubleshooting_guide_04-17-07.pdf) There is a great wealth of information in it.

http://forum.carvewright.com//showthread.php?t=2073&page=2

I would check first to see if the head is level to the base. If it is then I would find the section that tells how to correct low head pressure. It goes through the sequence of loosening the posts and re-tightening them. Be sure to clean them and use lithium grease for lubrication. You may also need to remove the crank and shoot some lithium grease in there as well.

John DeMaio
01-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the replies and the advice. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow!

John

jonm3
01-25-2009, 07:53 AM
The past two times I have clicked on the link page. It load, then stalls, or stops responding point that I have to shut it down myself. I know it is not my coumputer. Just letting you guys know there is a prob.

ChrisAlb
01-25-2009, 08:07 AM
The past two times I have clicked on the link page. It load, then stalls, or stops responding point that I have to shut it down myself. I know it is not my coumputer. Just letting you guys know there is a prob.

The link that Deolman posted is the one you want and it works fine for me. You can find just about, if not every PDF ever created in that thread.