PDA

View Full Version : cut path

sparky
01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Can you do a cut path on an arc that you draw in designer?
If not can you set depth of cut to cut it out?
Maybe I'm overlooking how to, but I don't see!!

AskBud
01-22-2009, 10:26 PM
A cut path is for a "Closed" set of lines or image edge ("Closed Path").
You may carve the ARC as deep as you wish, but you need to be careful.
On a standard "Cut Out", I think you will see the machine move very slow so it does not place too much pressure on the bit or machine. It also knows the exact depth of the board, by its own measuring.
You should be very sure of the thickness of your board, so you do not cut into the base of your machine. You should, also, do the carve of the arc in small steps (say 1/8 inch at a time). I would group the cuts just to be sure the process has a better chance of working.

There is a current discussion on cutting a gear. Check out that post for their cautions.
There is also a Tip on "Manual Cut Path" , May 2008, that you need to review.

Go to my signature, below, and click on the "Download" section. Now, go to "CarveWright Tips and Tricks".
AskBud

mtylerfl
01-22-2009, 10:28 PM
You should be very sure of the thickness of your board, so you do not cut into the base of your machine.

Bud,

It is impossible to "cut into the base of your machine". Nothing but open space lies beneath the bit and board when it is cutting.;)

sparky
01-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys for the reply, the tip on manual cut path is excatly what I was looking for. Guess I overlooked that tip.
Thanks again

mtylerfl
01-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys for the reply, the tip on manual cut path is excatly what I was looking for. Guess I overlooked that tip.
Thanks again

Hello Sparky,

I'm sorry, I missed the fact that you were directed to the Manual Path article. The info for the procedure is still valid (but many of the former reasons for doing so are no longer valid).

The Designer software has been updated with a Cut-Out Control window that makes the manual cut path method all but obsolete under most circumstances. This relatively new feature (and how to use it) is explained in some detail in ISSUE 12 - September 2008 "Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights". You can download that issue from our Learning Center (http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html) or from the CarveWright website (http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks) and of course at the link Bud kindly provided. Read both the May 2008 and the newer Sept 2008 to get a complete overview.

Since the Cut Out Control was added, it completely changed how we can control our cut outs. It is a wonderful feature! There can still be occasions when a manual cutpath is needed, but that is not as common as it once was.

For instance, I did need to use some manual cutpaths in the Sailboat Project I recently designed. In that particular case, it was necessary to create manual cutpaths along with my own safety tabs for the sails and for the hull components. But, it is not very common for the majority of users to actually encounter special circumstances such as that. Most users will likely never need to make a manual cut path anymore.

All the Best!

liquidguitars
01-23-2009, 07:36 PM
The Designer software has been updated with a Cut-Out Control window that makes the manual cut path method all but obsolete under most circumstances.

wow!

Not sure why you would think its obsolete at all..
Setting up manual cut paths is a very important tool in Designer and simple to use at that. I use it all the time and do not see it as dated at all.

LG