PDA

View Full Version : Question whether the CarveWright can accomplish this:

stingray
01-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Greetings,
I am trying to make soundhole covers for my acoustic guitar. Would the CarveWright be able to do the type of delicate work needed on such a small piece?

I was reading the FAQ and it said the minimum Workpiece Size is 1.5” wide x 0.5” tall x 7.0” long. A soundhole is going to be smaller than this in terms of how tall. It may only be 1/4" tall even. Does the minimum required workspace only represent the actual plank size required? Or also the size of the item being crafted and designed? Also, is a circular design with varying degrees of space cut from the center possible? To give a better idea, here are some examples of soundholes:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd195/bassclef3113/soundhole.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd195/bassclef3113/soundhole.jpg

Thank you in advance!

supershingler
01-21-2009, 09:19 PM
you can carve anything down to 1/2" thick without a carrier board

if you go thinner you need a sled.

do a search on "sleds" or "carrier boards"

it should get you all the info you need

welcome to the forum

kendall

Kenm810
01-21-2009, 09:48 PM
This is just a screen shot
but could be something similar to
what your asking about.

stingray
01-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Thank you for the responses and the warm welcome. I appreciate it.

I will research the use of sleds and carrier boards as suggested.

However, I have another quick question. With the dexterity required, would I be in better shape buying a the complete bit set along with the CarveWright as opposed to just the machine?

Thank you again.

ChrisAlb
01-22-2009, 06:02 AM
The carving bit that comes with the machine can do this if the project is set up as a "pierced" carving. If you were to use cut paths for all the little through cuts, I'd recommend getting the 1/16" "Cutting" bit but only if the stock is 1/4" or less in thickness.

For such small intricate cut outs, if using stock thicker than 1/4", I'd set it up as a pierced carving and let just the carving bit do the whole project.

Welcome and good luck!! If you need help setting it up, just let us know.

Billions
01-25-2009, 03:27 PM
That looks like fairly intricate work. I don't know if the Carvewright can do work as small and as well done as the pieces shown in your sample photo. The carving bit on the Carvewright won't be able to create sharp small corners like in the pieces you show, and the bit is tapered, so as you go deeper, the radius of the smallest point possible increases even more. Those look like they might be the work of a higher-precision machine or likely a laser-cut, which might be a better bet for you.

I doubt a lasercutting device would be cheaper than a Carvewright, and if those pieces are the only things you want to make, you might want to look into lasercutting or 'laser etching' in your area (it's usually the same machine, usually plastics shops have them for cutting plexi, etc.) and see if paying someone to create those for you is cheaper than buying a Carvewright machine.

BUT... You could certainly use a Carvewright to create the circular wood pieces themselves before you go to the laser. And of course, there are likely a few dozen other niche products you could create for guitarists as well using the Carvewright.

Good luck!

Ike
01-25-2009, 03:40 PM
That looks like fairly intricate work. I don't know if the Carvewright can do work as small and as well done as the pieces shown in your sample photo. The carving bit on the Carvewright won't be able to create sharp small corners like in the pieces you show, and the bit is tapered, so as you go deeper, the radius of the smallest point possible increases even more. Those look like they might be the work of a higher-precision machine or likely a laser-cut, which might be a better bet for you.

I doubt a lasercutting device would be cheaper than a Carvewright, and if those pieces are the only things you want to make, you might want to look into lasercutting or 'laser etching' in your area (it's usually the same machine, usually plastics shops have them for cutting plexi, etc.) and see if paying someone to create those for you is cheaper than buying a Carvewright machine.

BUT... You could certainly use a Carvewright to create the circular wood pieces themselves before you go to the laser. And of course, there are likely a few dozen other niche products you could create for guitarists as well using the Carvewright.

Good luck!

A good example that the CW can do this was shared by Jason of LittleRedWoodshop. He does indicate there is hand work envolved.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10146

Ike

Billions
01-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Well, that is a nice example of a similar project, but the original poster is showing us a photo of what look to be approx. 4" disk-shaped pieces, which is smaller, and at a much higher level of detail and carve-quality than that 'Chief' example.

I'm still sticking with my original post - I would not want to put someone under the impression that the Carvewright could do those high-quality guitar inserts on its own.

James RS
01-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Maybe it can check out the site where you can see the patterns a lot better.

http://www.lutehole.com/products.htm

Edit: I think the Carvewright could do those especially after just looking at this post

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10146

RBeau1954
01-28-2009, 07:08 PM
A laser that would be powerful enough to do that would run somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 grand. The CC is a good machine but as a previous poster said, because of the angle of the carving bit, it is hard to get that detailed. You could accomplish the same thing with a scroll saw, the dewalt is an excellent scroll saw for around $500.00. I love my CC but am smart enough to know its limitations. Just my opinion.

Kenm810
01-28-2009, 07:54 PM
This is a little on the rough side,
but I think it could be done on a Sled

Dyna Rider
01-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey Ken

Nice work, like the design, what’s the O.D. on the disk?

Bill

Kenm810
01-28-2009, 09:11 PM
That ones 4" X 1/4" like one of the disc in the Photo
But you can really carve the ant size you want or Need

Jeff_Birt
01-28-2009, 10:05 PM
because of the angle of the carving bit, it is hard to get that detailed.

On 1/4" stock you can use the new 1/16" cutting bit to do the cut-outs. It works very well and very fast.

Kenm810
08-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I found 3 different names I posted this photo under, but none have a Ptn or Mpc file listed with them.
I went back through all my back-up files that I have with no luck, I'm wondering now if I didn't save the
files because it was just one of the dozens of test patterns I do for folks.

If per chance someone out there did save the Ptn or Mpc and does have a copy,
could they please post it here for a fellow forum member that has also been looking for it.

Thanks in Advance

henry1
08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
I found 3 different names I posed this photo under, but none have a Ptn or Mpc file listed with them.
I went back through all my back-up files that I have with no luck, I wondering now if I didn't save the
files because it was just one of the dozens of test patterns I do for folks.

If per chance someone out there did save the Ptn or Mpc and does have a copy,
could they please post it here for a fellow forum member that has also been looking for it.

Thanks in Advance
Glad to see back, been a while ,I missed you lots hope all is well with you
Henry

ibanez270
08-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for doing this Ken.
I hope your feeling well.
John