PDA

View Full Version : IS IT A SCAM? That's the $10,000.00 Question

Digitalwoodshop
01-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Since we as carvers tend to have a interesting SKILL to produce a product that we can SELL and have put ourselves out "THERE" on the INTERNET.

I thought I would post some thought and tips to prevent or limit our exposure or susceptibility to INTERNET SCAMS. Most of us take things at face value and having knowledge about SCAMS could save you some money.

Some TIPS.....

Here are some samples since some of the forums require a pay subscription.

From SIGNINDUSTRY.COM, this list of 14 red flags:
Since we’ve received so many different e-mails like this, we’ve identified 14 common traits that can help you easily avoid falling into this trap;

Is the e-mail from a “Dr.”, “Reverend” or “Pastor”?
In the top “To” line of the e-mail, does it have another sign shop’s e-mail address?
Is the quote request “Urgent”?
Are they “polite” throughout the message?
Does it mention the signs are for a church, orphanage or other non-profit entity?
Is the English “broken”?
Is there a quote request for a quantity of several pieces? (50, 100, etc.)
Are they asking, “What method of payment do you accept?”
Do they ask for your name and/or phone number when it’s already available on your website?
Are they making a request to pick up the order at your location even though it seems as if they are out of the country?
Does the e-mail say they will make some sort of shipping arrangements?
Do they leave out their contact information?
Do they refuse to give up their phone number no matter how many times they are asked?
Do they ask you for the Authorization Code from the credit card transaction (so they can access your account information!)?
So if you get an e-mail like this, what should you do? Of course, that’s entirely up to you but we just mark and delete these e-mails as SPAM because we’ve learned first hand that any action you try to take beyond that is a complete waste of time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Customer,
My name is Robert Hayes The reason why i contacted you is in regards to purchase some Walnut Plaques i want to order from you.Below is my specification for the Walnut Plaques:

Size 8" x 10" I need the Art work of the Plaques to be (God Is The Answer)
Quantities: 100 Pieces
I would need the Laser Engraved into aluminum plate on the board with the text engraved on it

I am Donating this Walnut Plaques to Continental Orphanage Home,I will like you to kindly respond to me with the total Pickup price of the 100 Pieces Walnut Plaques plus tax only.Kindly respond to me with the Method of payment you accept and also with you Contact phone number,Hope to hear from you soon with the quote may the good Lord richly bless you inabundant for your support.

Thank You.

Robert Hayes

__________________________________________________ _________________

Hello,
I would like to know if you can get me some sporting trophies for to run off our sporting festival. Please send me a mail back to let me know the types of trophies you carry at the moment, your methods of payment, and their unit prices as well as how soon you can get them for me if they are not instock.

Happy New Year to you...

Rev. Mark Roy

Red flag #1 - from a "Rev."
Red flag #2 - the from and to are both his name and the properties show it is a gmail address.
Red flag #3 - no specifics on what they want.

Green flag #1 - a search shows there is a Rev. with that name at a church in Illinois with a website.
Green flag #2 - they didn't request a large amount of unmarked items right away.

I know we would have to proceed cautiously.

My question is since we are busy is it even worth wasting time trying to find out.
Has anyone else got the same email from this Rev.?

Yeah, it's a credit card scam, I've seen three or four such emails in the last month. Always some mention of religion, overt ("for my church") or oblique ("yours in Christ" etc), and it's always a really bizarre order, that no rational person would ask for: thirty 320mm high silver trophy cups for their church football team (~$3000!); ordering "acrylic" without specifying what kind of object; not specifying what text etc is to be engraved; ordering goods for faraway locations which ought to be expected to have local trophy stores; and so on.

I asked my bank what to do about it, and they said that the safest policy generally to avoid chargebacks was to get a signature by fax or emailed scan, along with a photocopy/scan of the front and back of the credit card. Now if they go to the trouble of faking that, the bank said, I wouldn't get a chargeback.

However, there's still the issue of criminal liability - if I as a merchant charge goods to a credit card that I reasonably should know is stolen, I might be charged with fraud (dishonestly gaining a benefit) myself. Which isn't good for business either.

What I ended up doing in my first such case, which smelt awfully fishy (it was the thirty $100 silver trophy cups for a provincial church football team), was to ring the priest directly, reasoning that the worst I could do, were it above board, would be to spoil the surprise (and there's something about the idea of a church spending that amount of money on football trophies rather than, say, services for poor people, that bothers me). The priest of course knew nothing about it, had never heard of the guy whose name was on the order and the card, told me that internet scammers quite often try to scam him too (apparently the whole "religious thing" in these scams is pervasive, and they try it on even more and even harder on genuinely religious folk) and told me that they were usually lucky to get thirty people in the church of a Sunday outside of Easter and Christmas, let alone enough for a football team. Which they don't have.

For the sake of it I printed out the emails and reported it to the local cops but I've heard nothing back and doubt I ever will. Even talking to the priest was a waste of my time, honestly (although he was a friendly guy and it was an entertaining conversation).

For the subsequent ones I've just sent back a message along the lines of: "Thank you for your order. Due to the increasing prevalence of internet-based credit card fraud, we are required to seek verification of your card. Would you kindly send, by fax or scan-and-email, a signed order for the materials requested, accompanied by copies or scans of the front and back of the card?" and never got a reply, of course.

It worries me a bit with the website I'm setting up, in that customers will ideally be able to formulate their order and enter their credit card details etc without actually needing to speak or email me - but I suppose the more bizarre orders I can just confirm as I otherwise would, and if it's in all ways a normal order that just happens to be being paid for with a stolen card, I guess that's the price of doing business. Does that happen much to those of us with credit card order websites?

__________________________________________________ _______________
Hello Customer,
My name is Brian Cope and i need to order some foot ball plaques.I need the size 5 x 7 . On the Plaques i need it written Good Luck . I will like you to get back to me with a quote on 500 quantities that i am ordering as well as the methods of payments that you do accept.I will need the quote without shipping because i will be recommending you to a shipping company and they will be coming in to do the pick up.Thank you very much and Hope to hear from you soonest.MAY GOD BLESS YOU.

Best Regards,
Brian Cope.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

I just got this one today:

HELLO C/S,
MY NAME IS FATHER ROBERT AND I WILL LIKE TO ORDER SOME ACRYLIC PLAQUES AND I WILL LIKE TO YOU TO GET ME THE PRICE OF THE INFOMATION AM INDICATING BELOW:

SIZE : 8 x 10

STYLE: LASER ENGRAVED ACRYLIC

BOARD COLOR: CHERRY COATED

ACRYLIC COLOR: BLUE MARBLE

I WILL LIKE YOU TO GET ME THE PRICE OF EACH PLAQUE WITH THE INFOMATION I PROVIDED AND ALSO ADVICE ME THE METHOD OFPAYMENT YOU DO ACCEPT .I WILL LIKE YOU TO KNOW THAT THIS IS A CHURCH ORDER GOING TO BE DONATED TO AN ORPHANAGE HOME SO I WILL BE MORE THAT HAPPY IF YOU GET BACK TO ME AS SOON AS YOU GOT THIS EMAIL ,THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND I WILL BE WAITING TO HEAR BACK FROM YOU SOON .
JESUS IS THE LORD,
FATHER ROBERT......

Gee. I'd love to have that order!

I could easily fill it and would start on it AS SOON AS I RECEIVE THE GOLD CURRENCY I REQUIRE FOR INTERNATIONAL ORDERS...... ;-)

Well, it was my turn today.

I was not in the shop, but my wife Lisa called and excitedly told me about this potential order for 200 bobble heads.

Hang on says I, let me get on the forum...and I read this thread and the other one to her.

You could hear the bubble burst, BUT, she investigated further...and finally after three email to "Reverend Jeff" told him "that since you are deaf and need to use this service, you must be aware that there are people out there using this as a scam. I'm not saying YOU are, but in this case I must suggest that you find a trophy shop in your area. I am sure there are many in Orlando."

Haven't heard back yet.

In the meanwhile she found out that the operators are flaming mad about this, because about 60% of the calls are fraudulent, the operators are not allowed to do anything and even though the operator may know that someone is being scammed, cannot say anything or even end the call. They must just type away and endure it.

Adding insult to injury, the phone companies have NO incentive to put and end to this because the service is free to deaf people, yet the phone company make $1.35 a minute. So there is NO incentive to stop this.

sigh.......

__________________________________________________ _____________

AL

atauer
01-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Al,

It must have taken you ALL DAY to type that up! That is probably the longest post I have ever seen! You do make a valid point though. In this day and age, it is extremely difficult to verify whether the email is true or not. I myself have encountered numerous emails scams, but have been smart enough not to fall for them.

My thoughts are that if a person is afraid to contact in person or speak over the phone to you, it is more than likely a scam. Anyone looking to order items should be more than willing to give a phone number, for a "order verification" call, just to make sure you are getting it right.

I also agree with getting the money upfront. If you don't, you can get all the way through the order and then have the customer cancel. I've heard stories of people filling an order and then getting the shaft by having the "customer" cancel the order. Leaves you with a large amount of merchandise and your in the hole due to the cost of producing.

Its always better to stay safe than sorry.

RBeau1954
01-21-2009, 03:11 PM
As soon as I get my winnings from the overseas lotto that I have won several times, I am going to buy another CW machine so I can make all those plaques I have gotten orders for. They are sending me a check so I can pay there shipper out of the excess, isn't that wonderful. They paid me extra money on a fake check so I could pay there shipper for the order. I haven't gotten any emails based on this forum but I get those kinds of emails all the time so I guess it is something we need to be aware of. Thanks for the message and keep on carving.

Digitalwoodshop
01-21-2009, 03:36 PM
I was mostly a copy and paste from the other forums.... I had to delete a bunch too as it was over the text limit....

Beware of CHARGEBACKS.....

Chargebacks are something that will happen if you ship something to an address other than the card holder's address. I could not find it, but there was a post for a coast to coast Award Plaque job in the thousands. Charged to the credit card, shipped to an address OTHER than the card holder. The event on the west coast was held and just happens that a LOCAL award shop guy saw the event and later saw the post on the forum. The award shop on the east coast supplied the plaques. After is was all done the card customer refused to pay the charge for the plaques. Saying "What Plaques"?..... I did not SING for any Plaques.....

Hence the east coast award supplier was out the money. The west coast award guy did some checking and the person was involved WITH the event...... SO it was a SCAM as they never intended to pay for the stuff and used a east coast place to make them.

Why did they not buy them locally...?

AL

ChrisAlb
01-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Oh now come on folks, have you no faith in humanity?? I just can't believe you all think those are all scams...

.....shame....shame.....LOL....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

TerryT
01-21-2009, 04:14 PM
I got this one yesterday....

Dear sales,
i want to place an order in your store,and i will like to know if you ship to TAIWAN and my method of payment will be credit card. So please let me know if you can assist me with the order ,Also I experience difficulties when it comes to getting orders to my address here in Taiwan,so i will like to let you know that i have a shipper agent which i have been using.And please do not forget to include your web page in your replying back to my mail.I will await your prompt response as soon as you receive this mail..
Thanks.

This one a couple of days before that....

Hello Sir/Madame,
My Name is Nate Claud and i am sending you an email because i want to make an order of some watere filters.I need a 50 gallons per day reverse osmosis water filter and i will like you to email me with a total quote for 10 of that excluding shipping as well as the methods of payments that you take.I hope to hear back from you soonest.Thank you.

Best Regards,
Nate Claud.

This one the same day....

Hello Sir/Madam
This is Mr Mike O'Shea And I Will Like To Know If You Can Order Me A 2 hp Floating fountain of 240V, cord lenght 100' and also i will need light kits. I Will Be More Than Happy If You Can E:Mail Me With The Quote on that Plus Tax, But exclude shipping cause i will recommend a freight company that will come pick them as soon as i make payment. Also I Will Like To Know If You Accept Credit Card As A Method Of Payment So That I Can Arrange For The Payment Immediately. Hope to hear from you soon.....
Thank You.
Mike....

These scams work off of greed. Don't be afraid to loose a sale. If it's a legit request there will be a contact phone number.

The broken english, mention of another country or their personal shipping rep is more than a red flag, it's a total STOP button.

In my case I have a very nice, complete website where all of our policies, payment, shipping, etc, are clearly spelled out and they can purchase as easily as clicking a button. I'm not a gambler, I hated to loose $100 in Vegas! So I'm not about to loose my a** on this kind of deal. Even on orders I am sure of I get 50% (cashed, cleared and in the bank) before starting a project and the ballance (again, cashed, cleared and in the bank) before shipping. Never had a customer complain or cancel an order.

atauer
01-21-2009, 04:40 PM
I was mostly a copy and paste from the other forums.... I had to delete a bunch too as it was over the text limit....

Beware of CHARGEBACKS.....

Chargebacks are something that will happen if you ship something to an address other than the card holder's address. I could not find it, but there was a post for a coast to coast Award Plaque job in the thousands. Charged to the credit card, shipped to an address OTHER than the card holder. The event on the west coast was held and just happens that a LOCAL award shop guy saw the event and later saw the post on the forum. The award shop on the east coast supplied the plaques. After is was all done the card customer refused to pay the charge for the plaques. Saying "What Plaques"?..... I did not SING for any Plaques.....

Hence the east coast award supplier was out the money. The west coast award guy did some checking and the person was involved WITH the event...... SO it was a SCAM as they never intended to pay for the stuff and used a east coast place to make them.

Why did they not buy them locally...?

AL

I didn't know we had a limit...

pine acres woodshop
01-21-2009, 07:03 PM
That's why I get at least half of the job up front, I get enough to cover the material, if I just lose my time that's not so bad, It sucks either way, I would rather be out the money for my time then be out the money for time and material. So I recommend if you do a job for someone get enough money up front to cover the material, or walk away, and don't do it at all. That is my advice.

Mark

wasacop75
01-21-2009, 07:40 PM
If it werent for these type of emails, I would not get anything. OR the one that says they are going to donate their money to a charity if I can cash a check for them.

Makes you almost afraid to look at your email

Digitalwoodshop
01-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Some of us are more popular with the scammers.... All you need to do is select the link to "unsubscribe" one time and they know they got a LIVE ONE.....

I love all the HYPE with Publisher's Clearing House.... My Mom was at Bingo and 2 ladies got into a fight over who was going to win and SHE had a letter that they were going to be in HER Neighborhood too..... Then one by one other ladies said they had the same letter..... What a scam......

I love the door mat " Publisher's Clearing House, Leave the check under the mat. "

AL

Ike
01-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Same thing different day!!! Just like what happen to me back in Nov.!

Got an e-mail today from a person calling himself a Rev. wanting 50 vinyl lettered banners. I informed him I make only wood products and referred him to another sign maker. Then he wanted a price for 50 wood signs plus tax excluding shipping saying " Glory to God almighty Amen.

Thought maybe this person was local so he was going to pick up the signs. Wow a $4000.00 order! Nope a scam and this is how he worked it.

He wasn't local he wanted to use a shipping company he has used for 4 years so he told me. He asked me to e-mail this company with all the shipping info including where it was to be picked up. I only offered my city and state, the funny thing to make a long story short this guy told me he was from Minnesota and wanted the signs shipped to London. Then later said he needed to hurry the order because his wife in Canada was having a baby!

The shipping price was going to be $2320.03 and he kept asking for me to total the price with shipping. For 50 signs it would be over $6000.00 hmmm? I asked him about his many location and his reply was 3 wifes!! Well I had already contacted the FBI and being after hours I was told to call back tomorrow and file an internet fraud report, which I did.

The reply from the shipping company the shipper must pay the shipping fee. So the good Rev. would pay me the whole amount and in turn I pay the shipping company. He was very concerned about me paying since the shipping company stated I must pay the fee. He needed the tracking numbers before he left to Canada.

I told him this size order would take 3-4 weeks and when I was ready to ship the signs I would then pay the shipper with a money order or something. Of course that would be fine and he would send his credit card number to me for the whole amount including the shipping. I kept asking for contact info and the only thing he gave me was his name

I grew tired of the game so I told him I did not believe this to be a real order. If it was a real shipping company they would not care who paid them. Especially if this is a company he has used for 4 years. I told him if he really wanted to order the signs then he can pay the shipping company and to send me a money order for the signs.

The scam is this the crook pays with a credit card which later calls the credit card company to complain about a charge they did not make. Since I do not have proof of a signature, the credit card company will withdraw the money until I prove the transaction was legitimate. The meantime you have already sent payment to the shipping company. So the crook will wait until the payment for the shipping is in their account and then report the charge to the credit card. While you wait for a shipping company to pick up 50 signs that does not exist! My guess they are out of the country and there is no way to track them.

We got to watch out!!

Ike

w2csa
01-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Ask'em for a CASH (Not credit card) deposit...
Gets them every time!

Eagle Hollow
01-22-2009, 12:35 PM
I have just finished totalling up all the lottos, unclaimed inheritences and other misc. monies I have won over the internet and will be able to able to bail out the auto industry and buy everyone on this forum two brand new CarveWrights w/probe and centerline. All I have to do is come up with about $2-1/2 million to pay the required "processing fees"

Please don't hold your breath. This could take a while.

cnsranch
01-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Just send Al a bill for the processing fees :)

Kenm810
01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey Jerry,

I already have a Probe and Centerline,
could you please make mine a set of the new style Traction Belts
and maybe a spare Flex-Shaft --- No rush http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

Ps. That's if You and Al don't Mind.

Digitalwoodshop
01-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Just send Al a bill for the processing fees :)

Saw the Nightline story of the GREEDY Guy who believed in the SCAM and was sending in all the required fees..... Then Flew to Nicaragua to pick up the winnings with the last cash payment.... He was found dead in his hotel and the money was gone....

AL

w2csa
01-22-2009, 04:16 PM
I could us a 40' sailboat to hold my Carvewright.

Eagle Hollow
01-22-2009, 04:20 PM
I could us a 40' sailboat to hold my Carvewright.

Riiiight...!

jcorder
01-22-2009, 04:23 PM
I have just finished totalling up all the lottos, unclaimed inheritences and other misc. monies I have won over the internet and will be able to able to bail out the auto industry and buy everyone on this forum two brand new CarveWrights w/probe and centerline. All I have to do is come up with about $2-1/2 million to pay the required "processing fees"

Please don't hold your breath. This could take a while.

I am standing at the door watching for the UPS man! Thanks!

leesheridan
01-23-2009, 10:37 AM
I've been hit with 3 emails from some guy down under wanting me to make items for him and wanted them in a hury. He never said what he wanted though. But then I never answered his emails.

Digitalwoodshop
01-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Same here, 2 down under and one mexico....

AL

STEAM
01-23-2009, 07:46 PM
I have a very simple way of dealing with people "SUSPECT ALL and TRUST NO ONE >> Works for me.:cool: