PDA

View Full Version : Hardware upgrades recommended?

dbrock411
01-20-2009, 06:39 PM
I called LHR today to see about ordering a new z-truck assembly, based on mine having the tolerance ring falling out (apparently broken). The tech I was talking to was recommending about five hundred dollars worth of "upgrades" to my series "A" machine, including but not limited to a new z-truck motor, new power supply, power supply bracket, new carving motor, and more, apparently all based on their computer system showing none of those items had ever been replaced, and sending the machine to the factory for a complete going-over and inspection. I wasn't having trouble or issues with any of those items, so what gives? Over zealous salesman or some validity to replacing these "first edition" parts with the new improved versions?

RBeau1954
01-20-2009, 06:44 PM
I have one of those old machines, mine is 2 years old but not alot of hours on it. I have replace most of the parts you speak of and each time I get a new part you can see the difference in how it is put together based on the experience from all the machines out there. You need to decide it you want to spend that money to get a good machine or not. I love the machine and what it can do and live with the fact that each replacement is made better based on there experience. Just this guys opinion.

Woodpecker
01-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Several issues with the intermitent motor, then it started running just by turning it on. The RPM part is on its way to me. Has anyone changed this RPM circuit and what luck did you have? Please communicate about this machine replacement. If the newer units work and keep on working it may be worth the price to avoid aggrivation in the middle of a project. Or have one in the hospital and one on the bench. Thanks for a reply.

Digitalwoodshop
01-20-2009, 08:19 PM
The Cut Motor running when it should not is a broken C1 Capacitor on the X Tremination board under the machine.

Search "X Termination Board" or posts started by me.

AL

Hexe SA
01-20-2009, 08:31 PM
I have an AA 00.005. XXXX series Machine for almost 2 years. Did change the z-truck when it was still under warrenty and than again because of my mistake outside of warrenty. Just melted the flex shaft and waiting on a new one. That and 1 set of belts ,1 quick chuck, 1 switch harness and board sensor. No problems that needed parts from LHR. Bought some extras. About 250 hrs. right now.
Eva

Jeff_Birt
01-20-2009, 09:19 PM
I would replace the Z-truck and maybe the Z-motor. Your Z-truck is broken so you need to fix that. If you do any scanning I'd go ahead and replace the Z-motor to. The new Z-truck will not have the the little circuit board in it that the probe plugs in to. I finally replaced my original 2 year old Z-motor just because I pulled the little circuit board out of my Z-truck when fixing a loose belt retainer screw. (The boards are not used and can cause problems if left in and plugged in.) The new Z-motor kit comes with the motor and a new ribbon cable. It ran around $70 when I got mine. If everything else is working then leave it alone until it breaks.

dbrock411
01-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Jeff - what does the scanning probe plug into if the newer z-trucks don't have the board for the scanning probe?

Jeff_Birt
01-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned that. The probe plugs into an extension cable which plugs into the front side of the machine right under the clear cover.