PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance categorized by importance

Schluppy
01-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Hello everyone....
I know this information is located everywhere from the manual all the way to the forums and beyond. It's gets to be a bit confusing because ALL the things you should be looking for are not in one place to view. But I was wondering before I get to many hours on my "new toy" the things I should be watching for and maintaining listed by importance. I've heard some dreaded things happening to "newbies" to the CW and I would rather not be one of them. :)

Thanks in Advance!

Jeff_Birt
01-19-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't think you can categorize maintenance by importance. It is all important at different times. In other words you do the maintenance on a set schedule ranging from every time you use the machine to once a month or so. Take a look at the January 2008 Tips&Tricks: http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Jan08.pdf, it covers most of the common maintenance tips you need to know about. Also, take a look at a write up all about the quick chuck: http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/Care_and_maintenance_of_the_QC.pdf. These will get you up to speed on the important bits.

Like any machine, the more you use it, the more you learn about how it 'feels' and 'sounds'.

Digitalwoodshop
01-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Reading Tips and Tricks really spells it out. No use in rewriting or reprinting the Bible here, that just confuses everyone. Proven tips are there for the reading.

Reading about 2 months of posts will give you a feel for what to watch out for.

You can also use the search with the " " to narrow down a topic of interest.

Any problem you have with the machine has been posted here and answered many time in many ways.

Welcome.

Your homework is to read the above info and you will be all set.

AL

want2b
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
I've had my machine for almost 2 years. First thing I did was make a list of all the owners manual listed formatted by timeline/hours. Have read the forum extensively and tried to pick up the "tricks" shared. Thought I did everything by the 'book', cleaned well after every carve & lubed with the latest recommended product. At 110 hours found the bearings disintegrated in the Z truck, opinion from the experienced is from over lubing in the flex shaft moved into the bearing and cut out the different lubricant. Only lubed it twiced, far below the recommended hours usage and followed the method listed, use the Gunk moly , soak, and I let it dry a minimum of 24 hours laying on a towel before replacing. Nowhere was there any note or warning that lube in the flex could migrate and ruin the roller bearings.
Since mine has gone south I have started paying a lot of attention to the postings and the Z truck seems to be a problem area. I read where ChrisAlb has found a Cranes Cam lube that he uses and replaces the shaft during a carve, still don't see it as a recommended lube by LHR. Yet when I followed the recommendations I somehow overlubed. Possibly LHR might want to provide an updated shedule of maintenance along with the latest products acceptable for each are in the carver. Maybe I'm asking to much? I know I'm responsible for maintaining my machine, which I thought I was doing by the 'book', as defined by ?....
Rick H