PDA

View Full Version : Cut out not complete

doutt
01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
I recently ran two designs and wanted them cut out (with tabs).
There were two issues:

1. Each pass on the cut out shifted slightly giving me a "stair step" edge once complete (this was on the board length not width).

2. The top of the design (edge closest to the control panel) didn't cut all the way through.

Thoughts? See pictures below:

Mark

cnsranch
01-19-2009, 02:08 PM
You must leave room on the keypad side (the manual will tell you exactly how much) the machine will not cut out all the way if you're too close to the brass roller.

You can choose to ignore the warning you get when you go to load the project, but the machine will not allow you to hit that roller under any circumstance.

re stair stepping, my guess is that your board is slipping just a tad - probably from improper head pressure, or the board's binding slightly - will happen if the board's edges are not parallel.

mifflinlake
01-19-2009, 02:15 PM
I had this exact same problem. Re-checked everything and only had 40-lbs. of Head Pressure. It was pretty cold in my shop that day. Got the shop temp up to mid fifties and lubed the guide post and threaded shafts and everything was fine. Head pressure went to 83.

doutt
01-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Great information.

Thanks. Didn't realize about the roller. Makes total sense.

Thanks.

Mark

ChrisAlb
01-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Anything less than 3/8 from the edge and it won't cut all the way through on the brass roller side. It's a smart machine.

cnsranch
01-19-2009, 03:04 PM
It's a smart machine.

Good thing, given guys like me are running it!!

Digitalwoodshop
01-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Masking Tape is your friend with OAK.... Oak is hard and the brass roller can't bite as well and slips causing your stepping problem. I would also place a strip along the brass roller path AND 3 strips of masking tape on the bottom of the board to give the sand paper belts a better bite.

It's all about the brass roller....

Other users will say the masking tape thing is Foo Foo..... Well all I say is give it a try.... And also look at a previous cut board and look for the brass roller track marks to see if you cut too close to the bottom brass roller edge of the board.

Good Luck,

AL

JOHNB
01-19-2009, 09:18 PM
foo foo?
doutt, did you stay under the rollers? it seems to have cured my stairstepping problem. if you don't stay under the rollers, you end up with foo foo? lol