PDA

View Full Version : join spiral with line?

woodknack
01-18-2009, 04:09 PM
how do you join spline with a line? can't get them to join so I can make a cutout!

what am I doing wrong.... also still running 1.125, will that make a difference?

picture a box with the top being an spline shape. can not get the line to all connect so I can use the cutout tool..

ChrisAlb
01-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Post the MPC so we can see it.

Make sure it doesn't have any commercially bought patterns in it. Just the lines you're working with.

Ike
01-18-2009, 05:19 PM
how do you join spline with a line? can't get them to join so I can make a cutout!

what am I doing wrong.... also still running 1.125, will that make a difference?

picture a box with the top being an spline shape. can not get the line to all connect so I can use the cutout tool..

Have you tried grouping them then use the cut out function?

Ike

ChrisAlb
01-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Have you tried grouping them then use the cut out function?

Ike

Ike,

I think he just doesn't have them actually connected. You don't have to group them to have them connected and use the cut path or carve region.

Woodknack,

Be sure you have both the spline and lines selected. Then drag the end of the line to the end of the spline until you see the red star like symbol.

See picture.

woodknack
01-18-2009, 06:43 PM
they wont connect.. ive tried... i wonder if it has anything to do with 1.125?
how do you select both at the same time?

Ike
01-18-2009, 06:58 PM
they wont connect.. ive tried... i wonder if it has anything to do with 1.125?
how do you select both at the same time?
Figured it out try this, all your lines were not connected. When you see a X over each dot they are connected. No you don't need to group them I find it helps to see what dot isn't connected. Oh to highlight all lines hold down control while clicking each line

Ike

ChrisAlb
01-18-2009, 07:02 PM
You have to hold down the Control key and select ALL the lines and then connect them.

It has nothing to do with 1.125. Works fine in that version. Right now you have an arc (not spline) on top. The vertical line on the right and the bottom line are connected but not to the arc, the left vertical line is not connected to either the bottom line or the arc.

I connected them all and it all works fine. Unfortunately, all I can give you is a screen shot of it with the cut out because I'm using version 1.132 and if I save it, you won't be able to open it. Unless you upgrade of course.

Ike
01-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Sorry didn't think of you not being able to open the file without upgrading. Oh and my bad I fixed it control not shift!
Ike

Dan-Woodman
01-18-2009, 08:49 PM
I find it helps to zoom in on the spot your wanting to join. My mouse has a wheel, so I just turn the wheel and it zooms in and out. Also with 1.132 you now can adjust side to side and up and down or straight on depending on where your cersor is on the screen.
later Daniel

woodknack
01-18-2009, 11:37 PM
You have to hold down the Control key and select ALL the lines and then connect them.

It has nothing to do with 1.125. Works fine in that version. Right now you have an arc (not spline) on top. The vertical line on the right and the bottom line are connected but not to the arc, the left vertical line is not connected to either the bottom line or the arc.

I connected them all and it all works fine. Unfortunately, all I can give you is a screen shot of it with the cut out because I'm using version 1.132 and if I save it, you won't be able to open it. Unless you upgrade of course.

I hold down the control key and click on the lines and nothing happens?

Also do not get the red x when the lines connect?
Yes I changed it to an arc from the spline hoping that was the problem.
I am using a mac if that makes any difference..
It wont let me open up the MPC that where made by other people unless I upgrade to the newer version. Still have the old z truck. Should I stay with 1.125 or upgrade?

Im doing something wrong to connect the lines?

woodknack
01-19-2009, 12:15 AM
AHHHH.. I got it... control only works to highlight the lines AFTER they have all been connected.
Also learned (been over a year since I've used the machine) that I had to go up on the tool bar and click the line tool everytime to connect a new line. It kept going back to the pointer! Thats what was screwing me up!! Thanks for the help guys. Trying to relearn what I have forgotten, Im a little rusty.LOL

One more question.
If I update my memory card to 1.132 can I use projects I already have made in 1.125 in the machine? :confused:

ChrisAlb
01-19-2009, 06:09 AM
I hold down the control key and click on the lines and nothing happens?

Also do not get the red x when the lines connect?
Yes I changed it to an arc from the spline hoping that was the problem.
I am using a mac if that makes any difference..
It wont let me open up the MPC that where made by other people unless I upgrade to the newer version. Still have the old z truck. Should I stay with 1.125 or upgrade?

Im doing something wrong to connect the lines?

Sorry Woodknack, I should have seen in your signature that you're using a mac. I'm not sure what "key" it would be on a mac. But if you do have a control key as you say, that should be it.

So I'm confused. You said that holding the control key and clicking on the lines does nothing but the you said you don't get the X when connecting the lines?

If the control key does nothing, how is it you have two (or more) lines "selected" (White - not dotted lines) to try and connect?

And yes, I would recommend you upgrade. I'm pretty sure having the old Z-Pac shouldn't be a factor. The new Z motor and circuit board just eliminates the homing function and changes where you plug the scanning probe in. It wouldn't hurt to verify this with LHR but I believe that's correct.

JOHNB
01-19-2009, 06:25 AM
be careful when you update, you may loose your patterns, due to license stuff. you might want to at least (copy) turn them into a png. file? and/or copy the 1.125 file with a different name.

ChrisAlb
01-19-2009, 06:37 AM
be careful when you update, you may loose your patterns, due to license stuff. you might want to at least (copy) turn them into a png. file? and/or copy the 1.125 file with a different name.

Is it different on a mac? I never had any license issues when upgrading.

But as with any "data" on a computer, it's always a good idea to have a backup copy. I just assumed that was a given.

And you can only turn a "pattern" into a PNG if you created the pattern. If someone else did, you can't edit it (open it in Pattern Editor) to save it as a PNG.

JOHNB
01-19-2009, 06:52 AM
back in the early days, we could use jeff birts famous "cpe" s/w to turn any pattern into a png. which i would recommend before updating?

unless of course license patterns started for version 1.125?

ChrisAlb
01-19-2009, 06:59 AM
I wasn't aware such software existed? Not good news for us pattern vendors huh?

Makes me wonder why anyone would create such a program...:confused:

JOHNB
01-19-2009, 07:23 AM
no worries chris, it's no good with todays patterns. like i said, "back in the early days".

Jeff_Birt
01-19-2009, 07:36 AM
ChrisAlbI wasn't aware such software existed? Not good news for us pattern vendors huh?

Makes me wonder why anyone would create such a program...:confused:

Chris, CBPE only works on the older unlicensed pattern files. I wrote it back before the CarveWright pattern editor had the ability to export to PNG. I would not ever create a program to copy/decrypt commercial pattern licensing.

JOHNB
01-19-2009, 08:02 AM
although i do not own a "CARVEWRIGHT PROBE"(yet), but is that not used to copy?

Jeff_Birt
01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
To copy what? The software you get access to with the probe is the CarveWright Pattern Editor. (You can also just purchase the software.) The Pattern Editor lets you download scans, import images, edit them and even export your patterns (not commercial patterns) as images. It has many specialty tools built into it just for editing patterns.