PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Box

mifflinlake
01-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Attached is a cigar box that will hold two cigars. I tried to use different functions of the designer. Still playing and learning, the more I read the forum, the more ideas I get on different styles. I will probably have to make some minor adjustments, especially on the areas for the hinges. I don't have any hinges to measure so I will need to get a couple first. Take a look and if you have any suggestions please let me know what you think.

John

w2csa
01-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Looks nice John,
A good example of 2 sided carving, something I'm still trying to da.
Thanks
Chris

Ike
01-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Attached is a cigar box that will hold two cigars. I tried to use different functions of the designer. Still playing and learning, the more I read the forum, the more ideas I get on different styles. I will probably have to make some minor adjustments, especially on the areas for the hinges. I don't have any hinges to measure so I will need to get a couple first. Take a look and if you have any suggestions please let me know what you think.

John
John, very cool why don't you enter it in the contest? It can be a jewelry box just as easy. Plus it is a perfect example of making a project with a single board!

I am not sure about the eagle if it is a commercial pattern it would need to be omitted. I can't wait to see the project completed

Ike

ChrisAlb
01-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Very Nice John!! Great job....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

The eagle is fine. It's a free pattern in the gallery. I got it over a year ago in here. We'd love to see the finished project so be sure to post some pictures.

Ike
01-18-2009, 07:49 PM
thanks Chris I noticed that commercial patterns show up in red in mpc format. I don't know if they will still upload on the card. But you can tell the shared from commercial. Still would be a great project for the contest.

Hey Chris what about you? I would love to see a design from you and be honored to have them in my files! So lets get going my friend I have an expert class with your name on it!

Ike

mifflinlake
01-19-2009, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the comments. The Eagle pattern was a shared pattern I got from the forum. I need it to warm up some before I can do some more carving. I need the outside temp to hit in the thirties before I can get my shop warmed up to the mid fifties to sixty. The wife won't let me bring the CW into the basement. I will have this taken care of next year, I am building a seperate room in the barn so I have a place to play when its really cold out. I have a project I am designing for the contest but not sure that I will have it done before I leave. I will be out of the country for a couple weeks and won't have my laptop with me. I will have it designed before I leave just not sure I will have it carved. I will post the MPC before I leave just so others can see it. I think It is a pretty cool idea.

John

LollyWood
01-19-2009, 11:32 PM
John,
If it's ok w/ you I'll be pilfering this design for my crew for next christmas. We do a crew poker party every Dec, and I think they'd get a kick out of the personal touch of a gift like this (courtesy of you of course ;))

Great work w/ the 2 side design, thinking you got it down pretty good.

I get "all" my little stuff like hinges, hasps, locks, all kids of little things from these folks. http://www.wiseacresart.com. They sell alot on ebay, but you can call em up for larger orders. Great folks and super prices. just a good lead.

mifflinlake
01-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Bernie,

Be my guest at using this design. I posted it hoping someone else can use it. The forum in my opinion is for helping each other and sharing patterns and layouts. I have learned a lot from designs people have posted. You may have to modify it a little depending on the hinges you get. I just set the mortice area for the hinges as a place mark until I get my actual hinges and will modify them to fit later.

John

Ike
01-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Bernie,

Be my guest at using this design. I posted it hoping someone else can use it. The forum in my opinion is for helping each other and sharing patterns and layouts. I have learned a lot from designs people have posted. You may have to modify it a little depending on the hinges you get. I just set the mortice area for the hinges as a place mark until I get my actual hinges and will modify them to fit later.

John

Right on John I agree with you this should be a sharing forum and I also believe that if we need a true 3D pattern we shouldn't complain about paying for it. The folks like Michael T and HT have time and money in their work! I know with my poo but patterns I strive for perfection and they that some time!

Now on another subject hasn't any one heard of heaters!!! JK, I know it is winter and maybe I picked the wrong time of the year to have a contest. I have offered a solution to making an enclosed area for your CW to cut down on the heating area. It will cost a little bit but solve the winter whoas! I have a cover with sides I bought from Walmart for $99.00 the type you see at craft fairs they are 10' by 10' or 8' by 8' and enclosed. You can use a kerosene heater and arm the area up well enough to use the CW.

Plus I have used a hair dryer to warm up the machine and once warmed up it worked fine! Not to mention using PVC pipe with tarps, so no more excuses! LOL

Ike

Ike
01-21-2009, 12:01 AM
John I need your help, how did you make the concave area for the cigars? When you invert it shows a rounded top. How do you do it?

Ike

lhanner
01-21-2009, 03:03 AM
John
The cigar box is assume!!!::)

mifflinlake
01-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Ike,

I am at work so I don't have all the dimensions in front of me. But to make a concave surface instead of a convex surface I did the following. Made a rectangle the size of the cigar tube I believe it was 8-1/2" x 1". Applied a depth profile of .500 with a height of 999. Went in and selected a surface which I selected the Vertical surface. This now gives me a convex surface or rounded top. I just hit invert to change the selection of a concave surface or rounded bottom. I hope this helps, it is all from memory and you know how that is sometimes.

John

dcalvin4
01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Nice job on the pattern I love it ,,,,,,, although the btm of the box should be ''flip cut'' like the top.Please take this in a kind manner. I cannot design anything at all but am learning from everyones contributions in the ''CarveWright club''I would like to see CWright people put a icon in designer to let us know that we did or didnot flip cut something in the carving list, just a thought..
Denny

mifflinlake
01-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Denny,

I am confused at your suggestion. The "Flip Cutout" Function is used to flip the cut out area after you "Hide Cutout". I have nothing hidden so I don't need to "Flip Cut" anything. I believe you can only have one area as a "Hide" and "Flip" on your virtual board. If I did this you would only be able to see the top or bottom depending on the section that you choose to hide and flip. If I am missing something, please let me know.

John

bjbethke
01-22-2009, 06:11 AM
Denny,

I am confused at your suggestion. The "Flip Cutout" Function is used to flip the cut out area after you "Hide Cutout". I have nothing hidden so I don't need to "Flip Cut" anything. I believe you can only have one area as a "Hide" and "Flip" on your virtual board. If I did this you would only be able to see the top or bottom depending on the section that you choose to hide and flip. If I am missing something, please let me know.

John

The flip cut function is used to cut on the inside or the outside of your cut paths, by default it is set on the inside. To cut on the outside you need to flip the cut to the outside of your pattern. Image one.

You can also select the flip cut in the toolbar. To use the hide button you need to select the paths – then hide the inside or the outside with the Toolbar buttons. Image 2 & 3

ChrisAlb
01-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Just to clarify hiding the cut outs.

Not flipped (default) = Everything "inside" the line will be hidden.

Flipped = Everything "outside" the line will be hidden.

mifflinlake
01-23-2009, 05:45 AM
I took another look at my original MPC for the cigar box because I just couldn't see what Denny was trying to tell me on the "flip cut". I was thinking one way and was not really listening to what I was being told. If you look at the original MPC the top and bottom would be a little different size because of the cut path being slightly different. You can see it on the MPC especially on the rear view. I went in and did an "Edit Cut Out" and hit the "flip cut" button and it moved the cutout to the outside of the line just like the other section. The sad thing is that I didn't even realize that I had hit this to begin with so I didn't know I had set the cutouts different. I have attached a corrected version of the cigar box. The reason I posted this was for suggestions and to share what I have been doing. Thanks for pointing this one out to me.

John

dcalvin4
01-25-2009, 09:02 PM
So us rookies have 2 votes to have CW put a marker or asrtek to let us know that we did or did not flip cut something in the carving list, .. I am givivg the 2 cigar box to my local Cheap Tobacco store owner
Denny

quote Think outside the box

ChrisAlb
01-25-2009, 09:19 PM
All you need to do is look at the board. If the cut is inside the line it's not flipped. If it's outside the line it is.

PlateCarver
01-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Can you explain how you got the outside edges on both of the "halves" beveled? It looks like a routttttttter edge but I do not see that in the MPC.

Also the eagle looks as if it is on a domed top...... an I did not see any texture choosen. What that in the pattern?

mifflinlake
01-26-2009, 05:44 AM
Can you explain how you got the outside edges on both of the "halves" beveled? It looks like a routttttttter edge but I do not see that in the MPC.

Also the eagle looks as if it is on a domed top...... an I did not see any texture choosen. What that in the pattern?

The beveled edge is just from using a V90 bit. Draw your Rectangle and select bit as a V90. You can also adjust the depth of the bit cut.

The top is also on a domed top with a vertical surface selected. It has a depth of .25 with a height of 999.

Denny - post a picture of your finished box.

John

mifflinlake
01-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Have been playing with the design for the cigar box a little. The original design called "cigar box" takes 2.20 hours to cut on best and 4.07 to cut on optimal setting. Changed the design a little, on the rear of the top section is just a plunge route. Changed the pattern to use a 1/2" straight bit instead of the 1/16" carving bit. The design is labeled "cigar box 2". This dropped the cutting time to 1.36 using best and 2.55 using the optimal setting. No real change to the design but a lot of savings on the time needed to cut. Still not satisfied, had a lot of people wanting one carved and didn't want to spend a lot of time making them. Made a third design called "cigar box 3". This uses the 1/2" staight bit to cut the two cigar tubes in the rear of the bottom section. You lose the convex surface for the tubes, but it cuts the time down even more. Cutting time on #3 is 1.15 on best and 2.09 using the optimal setting. Almost a two hour difference from design 1 to 3 on optimal setting. Just thought I would share the differences in time. Actually I like design #2 on best setting keeping the convex shapes for the cigar tubes, it kind of gives it the unique look. Not really sure you need the optimal setting on this layout. As always I am open to any comments and suggestions.

John

dcalvin4
02-28-2009, 09:29 PM
John I made 2 of these boxes and am struggling with the finish as in varnish etc. This pic is the one where i learned from my mistakes its on a piece of oak and i stained it but didnt like it so i painted it black waterbase an wiped it off fast so as to see the grain....ask my wife what she thought and she liked it. the next day when i put the hinges on i noticed the word stoies should be stogies and so i made another one and used spar varnish , came out real nice so thank you for the pattern ..i gave it to the Cheap Cigarette store owner and he really liked it too..p.s. i forgot to take a pic of the one i gave away
Denny

mifflinlake
03-01-2009, 06:06 AM
The pictures are nice. Glad you could use the idea.

John

JMRoberson
10-19-2011, 01:06 PM
I did some playing with this pattern and found that the carve time can be shortened to 1:30 for a 1/16 bit and 50 min for a 3/16 bit if you put the pieces end over end on a skinny board instead. Thanks for posting this pattern. We've had a lot of fun with it so far.