PDA

View Full Version : Will not locate board thickness?

Jon_d
01-18-2009, 12:28 PM
My machine will not recognize the board thickness. It says "enter board thickness". I put in .75 and hit enter and it goes right back to " enter board thickness". Any suggestions?

Amonaug
01-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Little more info. What steps does it perform before that point and how wide is the board? Also what version of software?

Jon_d
01-18-2009, 01:54 PM
The board is 14" wide. It measures the board, loads the 1/8" cutting bit, goes all the way to the right and touches the bit locater then comes back to the left side and says finding surface then stops and says "enter board thickness". I am using version 1.131

BBrooks
01-18-2009, 06:12 PM
What is the temperature? If my shop is below 50 degrees, same thing will happen. I believe I read the board sensor is thermal in nature.

ChrisAlb
01-18-2009, 06:49 PM
The board sensor is not thermal it's IR light and it has nothing to do with finding the "surface" (top) of the board. It only looks for the edges. The surface is found by the bit touching it and then the coordinates are stored.

If the board is more than 13" wide it will ask for the thickness. I have no idea why it asks for it again after you enter it?? That would be a good question for LHR.

After entering the thickness, it should continue along normally.

mtylerfl
01-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Hello Jon,

While the board sensor is not necessarily thermal in nature itself, the whole machine is adversely affected by running it in temperatures outside of the manufacturer recommendation. I'm sorry I didn't think to bring that up to begin with - especially this time of year! In a cold environment especially, 'anything' can go awry with the machine's operations. Shop should be between 60° to 100° for most reliable operation.

Just so we know whether or not this has anything to do with your problems... "What's the temperature of your shop?"

Ike
01-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Wow Michael now I know why you need refreshing soda if your shop is 100 degrees! Just kidding I hope you don't keep your shop that warm!!

Ike

mtylerfl
01-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Wow Michael now I know why you need refreshing soda if your shop is 100 degrees! Just kidding I hope you don't keep your shop that warm!!

Ike

Ha! We just had a few "cold" days and I had my oil heater on. Outside went down to the 20's (just for a couple hours) - shop temp never went below 64°.

I used to live in Phoenix until 1991. Summer shop temps would easily get as high as 110° (or higher) at times. Glad I didn't have a CarveWright then - would have had to buy an air conditioner for the shop!

Reminds me the day I was out mowing my lawn (in June 1990 in the afternoon). Shirt off, mowing with my battery-powered Black and Decker mower as usual. It was hot, but didn't seem particularly abnormal to me. Later I was watching the evening news - it had hit 122° at the time I was mowing my lawn! Next day, T-shirts were being sold all over town with silk-screened lettering, "I survived 122°, Phoenix, AZ, June 26, 1990!"

It was so hot, the airport was shut down for awhile (apparently the planes had too little lift).

So, I'm still a "sissy" to this day when the temp gets under about 65°!

cestout
01-19-2009, 12:18 AM
It has been quite chilly here in Riverside County, CA until this week. When my shop was just below 50 but climbing, I used a heat gun at a distance pointed at the rollers until they no longer felt chilly to the touch. For summer I use a swamp cooler. It is dry enough here and in southern Arizona so that an evaporative cooler does not cause too much moisture on the tools.

Jon_d
01-19-2009, 04:31 AM
Even though it has been a balmy 2 degrees here in Indiana the last couple of days, my shop is heated so I keep it at 70 when I am working and turn it back to 63 when I am not so I don't think that is the issue.

The first time I carved a 14" board it asked me for the board thickness and I entered it and it continued on just fine. Now it just stays in this continuous loop of enter board thickness

robandpat
05-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Although we've used CarveWright for years, this is our first time on this forum and find it shares lots of interesting and helpful information. We just encountered a problem with one machine where it asks for the Board Thickness however it would not accept it. We put the project on our other machine and everything went through just fine so we know it's not a software issue nor a temperature issue. Any other thoughts on what the problem could be?

Digitalwoodshop
05-24-2010, 11:06 AM
What thickness are you entering. Anything over 3/4 of an inch?

Machine will not cut out over 3/4 of an inch.

What version of software are you using?

Is there a cut path in you design?

AL

Kenm810
05-24-2010, 11:17 AM
I've had something like that happen to me only once,
I flipped the project board over, and it carved fine.
I figured the board may have had a slight bow or cup to it,
or possibly I made it a bit to thinner than the measurement
I entered into Designer, after I had run through my plainer. :sad:

Ps. Welcome to the CW Forum

SteveEJ
05-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Wide boards will do this. Enter 3/4 not .75..

3 then up-arrow then 4 and enter.

I had the same thing happen to me last week. Nice and warm, everything good. The only difference was I was using a 14 1/4" wide board.

Hope this helps.

robandpat
05-25-2010, 09:18 AM
What thickness are you entering. Anything over 3/4 of an inch?

Machine will not cut out over 3/4 of an inch.

What version of software are you using?

Is there a cut path in you design?

AL

Weare using a 1" board, have used it on many projects before with no problem with and without a cut path in the design. We are using the latest software 1.163. We thought it may be something with the machine since it worked fine in our other machine.

robandpat
05-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Wide boards will do this. Enter 3/4 not .75..

3 then up-arrow then 4 and enter.

I had the same thing happen to me last week. Nice and warm, everything good. The only difference was I was using a 14 1/4" wide board.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, we'll try it.