PDA

View Full Version : Loose Z truck...

gman0069
01-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Just replaced the board sensor and started a new project when I noticed some very unusual vibrations. Stopped the project and checked the z truck only to find that it was very loose(front to back motion). I checked the screws that hold it in place and the 2 right side and the top left side are firmly in place but the lower left side screw simply turns. Doesn't tighten or loosen no matter how much you turn it. Anyone have any ideas?

"G".

bjbethke
01-17-2009, 02:57 PM
The Z truck needs to be removed to tighten that bearing. LHR wanted my machine returned when that bearing came loose on my unit; you may need to give then a call. There is a PDF on how to repair this. It's not hard to repair.

Digitalwoodshop
01-18-2009, 01:38 PM
I have posted pictures of this repair about 6 times. Do a search and you will see the pictures.

AL

gman0069
01-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks Dig, I did a quick search of you post but haven't found it yet. Give it another try tomorrow.
"G".

gman0069
01-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Quick question...On the lower left side bearing, the phillips head screw spins freely. Never tightens or backs itself out. Is this bearing broken and need to be replaced?
"G"

DocWheeler
01-19-2009, 01:19 PM
gman,

Sounds like a broken screw to me. Turn the bearing center portion with a thin wrench. It sounds like it will fall out when turned, but then you will know the cause of your problem.

The machine-screw should have been attached with loc-tite so getting it out is very ify. Putting on a new one is a snap after you get it.

Make sure that you use some thread-lock on re-assembly to keep it from loosening.

Edit: Sorry about that, you said Left and I thought of the other left!

In this case, hold the bearing center with a thin wrench and carefully try to tighten the SOFT screw.

bjbethke
01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Quick question...On the lower left side bearing, the phillips head screw spins freely. Never tightens or backs itself out. Is this bearing broken and need to be replaced?
"G"
This is an image of the back side of that bearing. You need to remove the Z truck and use a screw driver to hold it to remove the screw. Most of the times you need to drill the screw out because of the "Loc-tite"; it is good to have extra screws. The bearing should be OK.