PDA

View Full Version : My 2-sided Design finally works!

BlueRocco
01-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Earlier, I had posted that I couldn't get my 2-sided projects to align. Well, it took a while, but thanks to the great help from the support people that watch this forum. I have it working now. About 1 hour after my last post, I got a call from tech support with a few questions and some suggestions. I went through all the suggestions and here is the the answer in just 6 words: head pressure, head pressure, head pressure. I guess the board was moving while it was carving, and that is what messed everything up. Here are a couple of pics of the third sucessful pen box, and one of the second finished pen box. Only 3-1/2 hrs at "optimum", I think I'll stick with "best", it's half as much time. Everthing worked! Even the 5 mil holes for the barrel hinges.

Micheal

fwharris
01-17-2009, 12:08 AM
BlueRocco,

Great job! The detail on the box is very sharp. Also thanks for letting us know what your problem ended up being.

MCGEE2SKINNER
01-17-2009, 12:55 AM
BlueRocco
They look great. I make a lot of pens myself would you post the specs on the boxes. I'm working on the photo pens and they would look great in a box like you did.

Jim McGee

Rocky
01-17-2009, 04:59 AM
Great project. I have tried a 2 sided project yet. Can you tell me how you came up with the name "BlueRocco"?

BBrooks
01-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Excellent job. What a great project for the CW!

BlueRocco
01-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Great project. I have tried a 2 sided project yet. Can you tell me how you came up with the name "BlueRocco"?

My Favorite Guitar is one my wife bought me for Christmas the first year it came out. A Flame Blue Rocco from the Reverend Guitar Company in the U.S.A. I just sort of adopted the name on all the guitar forums I am on and now I use it everywhere. It is a simi-hollow guitar with brushed aluminum sides, flame etched. Double tapped humbuckers made by Joe Naylor special for these guitars. Light as a feather and plays like a dream. I don't think I could make one as good as this one but I am darn sure going to try. And the Carvewright looks like the machine to help me with that.

BlueRocco
01-17-2009, 12:17 PM
BlueRocco
They look great. I make a lot of pens myself would you post the specs on the boxes. I'm working on the photo pens and they would look great in a box like you did.

Jim McGee

Here is the box in a mpc file. The board is 7"x14"x3/4". I used a free pattern from one of the free downloads I found somewhere on the top. My first one I used a pattern from the basic library. There is one there that you can put some initials in the middle of... looks pretty cool that way too. I cleaned out the inside with a 3/8" bit to save time. The 5 mil holes are drilled with the 1/16" cutting bit, so you have to have one of those to use those small barrel hinges. I got them from Woodcraft at $7.00 for 10 of them. Pretty cheap but they sure look nice. They fit so perfect I glue them in with just one drop of the thick c.a. glue.

Micheal

liquidguitars
01-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Nice job, I like the little ball ends for legs..

I don't think I could make one as good as this one but I am darn sure going to try. And the Carvewright looks like the machine to help me with that.

I having a good time with the carvewright, sure it not a Hass and it snaps bits but the results are good..

regarding "optimum" I just ues the "Draft" setting for guitar bodys here is a body and neck i am carving this week.

LG

BlueRocco
01-17-2009, 03:33 PM

I having a good time with the carvewright, sure it not a Hass and it snaps bits but the results are good..

regarding "optimum" I just ues the "Draft" setting for guitar bodys here is a body and neck i am carving this week.

LG

Wow - That is gorgeous! I take it you do the dots, fretslots and headstock with the Carvewright too? It's going to take me a while to figure that out, I'm sure.

Micheal

mtylerfl
01-17-2009, 08:05 PM
...Here are a couple of pics of the third sucessful pen box, and one of the second finished pen box. Only 3-1/2 hrs at "optimum", I think I'll stick with "best", it's half as much time. Everthing worked! Even the 5 mil holes for the barrel hinges.

Micheal

Excellent, Micheal! Great project!

mtylerfl
01-17-2009, 08:06 PM

LG

Beautiful, LG! Wish I knew something about guitars - that would be a fun project! (I'm a keyboard player, myself.)

liquidguitars
01-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Wow - That is gorgeous! I take it you do the dots, fretslots and headstock with the Carvewright too?

yes all in one... :)

(I'm a keyboard player, myself.)

I am more of a strings guy talent wise, but I saw some cool pianos at NAMM yast year..

LG

liquidguitars
01-18-2009, 11:44 AM
I was running my 2 sided neck pattern yesterday and noticed the 1/16 carving bit I am using to get tapered tuner holes made some sea shell swirls marks as the tip drilled into the sled.

Cool :)

LG

Jeff_Birt
01-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Very cool! I take it you were using a drill cycle but used the 1/16" carving bit instead of the 1/8" cutting bit?

Kenm810
01-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Cool looking carver trade mark!
ya otta find something like that
for your Avatar.:rolleyes:

BlueRocco
01-18-2009, 12:06 PM
I was running my 2 sided neck pattern yesterday and noticed the 1/16 carving bit I am using to get tapered tuner holes made some sea shell swirls marks as the tip drilled into the sled.

Cool :)

LG

Are you running the cutting bit the length of your neck or across the width of it?

liquidguitars
01-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Are you running the cutting bit the length of your neck or across the width of it?

Just across at this time..

Jeff,

Yes, its a drill function, but I swap out with the 1/16 bit to get a tapered hole, the taper gives a better fit with M5 tunners.

LG

BlueRocco
01-18-2009, 12:16 PM
just across at this time..

LG

Thanks for letting me know. I was getting such a headache trying to get this to run the long way.......:D

liquidguitars
01-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I was getting such a headache trying to get this to run the long way.......:D

I just let the raster do the work once calibrated from the 3D mesh on the "B" side.

You can save some time cutting out the headstock and the end of the neck using the 1/8 cut bit but I am trying to keep it simple and not waste carbide at this time :)

LG

Shanem
09-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I get an error 62 when I try to load this on the card with ver 1.171.
Anyone else have this problem?

liquidguitars
09-07-2010, 10:10 PM
I think the 62 is a dril bit error. check your board depths to drill depth settings..