PDA

View Full Version : Doc's Spotlight

ChrisAlb
01-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Congratulations Ken (DocWheeler)!!!!http://forum.carvewright.com//images/icons/icon14.gif

It's great to see you in this month's Customer Spotlight Ken! You absolutely deserve it and are an inspiration to all of us.

Way To GO Buddy!! Keep the great works coming...http://forum.carvewright.com//images/icons/icon10.gif

LollyWood
01-17-2009, 02:29 AM
None better deserved Sir. You have been a Huge Support for most of us for a long time. Kudos very, Very, VERY well deserved!! :D:D:D

Rocky
01-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Great choice, but I thought the voting didn't end until 1/18/2009? Am I confused? Anyway, DocWheeler is a great choice.

badger
01-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Congrats Doc, its been a long time coming. Youve earned it.

RayTrek
01-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Excellent choice, it warms my heart to see someone do so much and give so much given the spotlight. Ken, you have earned my respect in many ways, Cheers to you.

Ray

Tom.Kitten
01-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Congratulations Doc! You do beautiful work, and are always a huge help to us newbies. Thank you so much for your inspiring leadership.

DocWheeler
01-17-2009, 10:34 AM
I slept-in this morning and had some other things to do - just now got to the Forum.

Thank you ever so much. I know that there are a bunch of people here on the Forum that are more deserving, but I'll accept it:)

Given this 15 minutes of fame, I'd like to add something that has been in the back of my feeble mind. There are at least two machines that add life to my life; the one made by Carvewright and the one made by Driving Systems Inc (http://www.drivingsystems.com/index.html).

I know that many of you know that three of my limbs are paralyzed and when I comment about going to work, store, etcetera, it might not compute.

It took about two years after my injury to find this company in California that modified vehicles for tripaligics and quadriplegics (most other injuries can use "Hand-controls").

Imagine if you will how this system works, the small steering wheel that is mounted on a vertical shaft turns about 270 degrees for complete lock-to-lock of the wheels - about six times faster steering than a normal car. A small movement changes lanes whether you want to or not!

Pushing the steering wheel away from you accelerates while pulling it back applies the breaks (like riding a horse without kicking the flanks).

I had the seventh one that they built and about eleven years later I had the one hundred fifty-fourth. I don't know the number of my current one.

I also want to add an apology for my needs to get involved in things that would be better left alone because of my need to try to appear "normal" (whatever that is). I must be fairly successful at covering my disabilities since my children still get me gifts on occasions that require the use of two hands or something similar.

I know that by doing all that I can that I help people that I interact with at work and other areas to not fear a serious disability as much as they might otherwise, and I feel good about that. And, it just dawned on me that the other reason that I get "pushy" is that I want people to separate "ignorant" or "invalid" from "disabled", something that I see too much.

The CarveWright machine and this Forum has allowed me to push my agenda in two areas as well as make things that I would not be able to otherwise.

Okay, I'll shut up for now - my sixteen minutes is up.

Thanks again!

Marketing Dept.
01-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Great choice, but I thought the voting didn't end until 1/18/2009? Am I confused? Anyway, DocWheeler is a great choice.

The voting is for a different spotlight. Once the votes are tallied then the spotlight will be chosen. Also, we have had a fairly low response as of yet, so keep the votes coming!!!

BBrooks
01-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Gratz Doc, on the spotlight and your determination. I walk a bit funny due to a back injury and nerve damage and so i changed jobs in my company 8 years ago. Some folks wondered why I did not go on disability and I had to explain that my previous position was not my only ability. If I can't do what I am doing now in a few years, I'll find something else I can do.
Cheers,

lhanner
01-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Doc
You are an inspiration in my life. I too am wheel chair bound. I am a Vietnam veteran. And stepped on a land mine and blew both my knees out. I had only 3 weeks to go before I would have come home. When I get to feeling down I just think of all my comrade's who didn't make it out. I have had may challenges in my life and have over come them with guts and will power and as Ike stated attitude in everything. I work everyday in my shop. Its what keeps me going alone with my wife , kids and grandson. I have often wondered why she has stated with me, when she could have done much better. We have been married for 30 years. She is my rock. Enough about me. Just wanted you to know you do have a great impact on people. Congratulations !

b.sumner47
01-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi Doc.I to have just about the same situation.Let's talk soon.Capt.Barry .b.sumner47@yahoo.com

LollyWood
01-17-2009, 09:04 PM
;)
See Doc..And you thought you just inspired folk w/ you great ideas for sleds and carrier boards. hehehehehehe. Now the world see what some of us have always known.

Old Salt
01-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Doc your The MAN.
Keep up the good work !

Your talant shows in your work.

DocWheeler
01-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Again, I thank you for your comments. I do not know if any of you can understand how fortunate I have been in my lifetime, it has been a remarkable journey with numerous blessings.

I would like to sit with each of you and tell you about the fabulous people that I have met (and have in my life), and the experiences that stir deep feelings when I think about them. My wife gets tired of me relating some of them I suspect.

twiceretired
01-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Congratulations Doc, your work is beautiful. A big thanks you to your wife as well. You are truly an inspiration to all of us; by comparison a lot of us are just puttering around.

TerryT
01-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Ken,
I joined this forum a year and a half ago and have been amazed and inspired by your work ever since. The combination of light and dark wood on a single project is fantastic. Well done, my friend.

pine acres woodshop
01-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Congatulations Doc, I too love your use of different woods, with all the extra 3 1/2" pieces laying around your method is a perfect use for them, Thank you.
Mark

Digitalwoodshop
01-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Excellent work KEN !!!!!

AL

Alsdad
01-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Doc,

This is my first post and I'm glad to use it to say congratulations to you on your outstanding work. I've been monitoring this forum for about a year as I've been working with my machine and I've always noticed your work has been outstanding.

I am really impressed with your cross shown in the Spotlight. I have not seen that pattern in any of the threads or stores. Can you tell me where I can find it? Thanks a lot and again - keep up the inspiring work.

Alsdad

DocWheeler
01-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Alsdad,

I thank you for your kind words, and welcome to the forum!

The pattern was a scan done by a forum member and then sold on eBay.
He sold them periodically, but I have not seen them for awhile.

I feel a little uncomfortable about because it was really not his design and no recognition was given to the creator.

Alsdad
01-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the info about the Jesus Face Cross. I'll keep my eyes open.