PDA

View Full Version : Using MDO (not MDF) in the CW

peter_l
01-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi All,

I am working on a project, and the customer has request me to make the sign out of one sided MDO (not MDF).

I have never worked with MDO, but I know it used alot for signs.

Anyone carve in it before?

I assume if I am using one sided MDO, I would carve into the side that has the MDO????

Thanks

Pete

bjbethke
01-16-2009, 09:20 PM
MDO sound like it is plywood with a paper face to make a good paint surface. Plywood may not carve well if it has voides

Medium density overlay panel, or MDO panel, is a paintable surface made of plywood.
[edit] Development
Originally developed for sign painting and concrete formwork industries, MDO is also used for other applications as a paintable surface.
It is a plywood product, with a paper face overlaid on the plywood substrate with an exterior grade (usually) phenolic adhesive. MDO is designed to have a smooth paint receptive surface. One or both faces can be faced with paper, and is found in 4' x 8' sheets from 3/8" to over an inch in thickness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_density_overlay

pine acres woodshop
01-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Yep MDO, it's expensive we use it in concrete formwork building highrises, I think you would be fine carving it if you only used centerline text, I don't think it would work well with a carve region, I have carved plywood for jigs and templates but I often had to fill voids and the finished surface is less than perfect.
Mark

sewpeck
01-17-2009, 08:10 AM
A better choice in my estimation is sign foam.