PDA

View Full Version : The Contest Is A Go!!!!

Ike
01-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Time is limited so lets get busy! The deadline will be 2-10-09. You can choose for any of the following for a project.
1) Toy box
2) Jewelry box
3) Night light.
4) Lamp
5) birdhouse.
6) Clock

The contest will have 3 levels,
Beginners
Intermediate
Expert

It is up to each member to decide what level they fall under. Be honest with yourself and pick a project from the above list and design and make the project. Three threads will be made for each class. Then enter your project in the category according to your skill. Please just project entries, no other post to make comments on how great the project looks.

The deadline will be 2-10-09 8 pm eastern time. Once closed three more threads will be made for each level with polls. Then the names of the entries will be imported in to the section they entered for judging by forum members.

Rules as follow,
1) The whole project will be designed using the CW designer only. No other software will be allowed. Patterns are allowed in projects, but if they are commercial or purchased patterns they will be omitted from the mpc. But can be shown in a photo If they are shared or free patterns they are allowed to shown in the mpc.

2) The project must be mainly cut out using the CW. Finishing touches can be made with any tool the member may have.

3) All designs will be submitted in mpc format with photos of the finish project.

4) All projects will have a valentine theme.

5) Only entry per member per class.

6) You must have fun and remember we are sharing our project designs and we all win!

So pick the project you like to make and choose the level you think you qualify with woodworking skills and tool collection.

I am excited about this and can't wait to see the brilliant designs we can share and learn from!

So it is official the contest has begun. Prizes are being discussed and we be announced later when we get a final decision.

Ike

MCGEE2SKINNER
01-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Ike
I won't be able to enter the contest but I thought I would let you know
(IT'S A GREAT IDEA)

Jim McGee

Ike
01-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Ike
I won't be able to enter the contest but I thought I would let you know
(IT'S A GREAT IDEA)

Jim McGee
Jim sorry to hear that, you can for fun design a project and share it if you like. I know some members machines are down and that sucks. But maybe if you design a project somebody near you will run it for you and you finish it. The rules never stated it has to be your CW/CC doing the cutting! Heck if that is the case send the design to me and I will cut it for you and ship it to you!

I am pushing the envelope myself, my shop is not usable right now, I am in the middle of dividing it to make the front a garage to house my newly restored 67 Fire Bird! Plus I have had great weather and now half my junk is outside including my Fire bird!

So if the issue is not having a machine working right now I will help, if it is time I understand. I hope this won't be the last contest we will be having!

Ike

Michael Anthony
01-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Ike: It is an eccellent Idea and I hope they continue, I am an expert woodworker and lower than beginner with the design part, but I would like to try a jewelry box if I may, where do we sign up?

Ike
01-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Michael, you just start the project and soon I will start the 3 threads beginners, intermediate and expert. Then submit your project in the class you want. Then when the deadline is reached the voting thread will be made.

Note to everyone start your project now and when ready submit the design and photos of project in the section of your choice.

Ike

Dan-Woodman
01-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey Jim
If Ike carves it for and wins you two will have to split the T-shirt if we can get one donated. If there are no prizes it will be fun anyway.
If we're going to post projects as there being completed , seems like the later ones will try to out do the early ones.
later Daniel

Ike
01-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Hey Jim
If Ike carves it for and wins you two will have to split the T-shirt if we can get one donated. If there are no prizes it will be fun anyway.
If we're going to post projects as there being completed , seems like the later ones will try to out do the early ones.
later Daniel
Good point Dan! I did say at first the entry post will be made at the close of the contest.

I back track what I posted.. revised.. No need to sign up anywhere, just start your project. Then 2 days before the deadline Feb. 8th I will post the threads with the 3 levels and then all members can submit their projects.

Then when the threads are closed by our mods on the 10th. I will post 3 more threads with polls. I will take each member's name from the class they entered their project and transfer it to the appropriate thread and let the voting begin!

Ike

geekviking
01-17-2009, 01:29 AM
I'd really like to thank you for this idea to begin with and for all the work, time & effort you put into it. It is things like this and people like yourself that pushed me across the line (to make up my mind :) ) when I decided to purchase my Carvewright. It was a little rough getting it all set up, but you did it, and again, thank you! :cool:

Ike
01-17-2009, 01:49 AM
geekviking, thank you for your kind words. I am excited to learn from other members with this upcoming contest. Nobody has any excuse not to enter, this is open to all level of woodworkers. If you have a CW/CC and computer skill you have me beat with my shop full of tools. The design is going to be the key!

We all win with the great projects we will be sharing! Thanks again and enjoy your machine keep it clean and lubed it will do great things for you!

Ike

Ike
01-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Good point Dan! I did say at first the entry post will be made at the close of the contest.

I back track what I posted.. revised.. No need to sign up anywhere, just start your project. Then 2 days before the deadline Feb. 8th I will post the threads with the 3 levels and then all members can submit their projects.

Then when the threads are closed by our mods on the 10th. I will post 3 more threads with polls. I will take each member's name from the class they entered their project and transfer it to the appropriate thread and let the voting begin!

Ike

Time is ticking are you getting busy?! To recap the guidelines,

Time is limited so lets get busy! The deadline will be 2-10-09. You can choose for any of the following for a project.
1) Toy box
2) Jewelry box
3) Night light.
4) Lamp
5) birdhouse.
6) Clock

The contest will have 3 levels,
Beginners
Intermediate
Expert

It is up to each member to decide what level they fall under. Be honest with yourself and pick a project from the above list and design and make the project. Three threads will be made for each class. Then enter your project in the category according to your skill. Please just project entries, no other post to make comments on how great the project looks.

The deadline will be 2-10-09 8 pm eastern time. Two days before the deadline Feb. 8th I will post the threads with the 3 levels and then all members will have time to submit their projects.Then the names of the entries will be imported in to the section they entered for judging by forum members.

Rules as follow,
1) The whole project will be designed using the CW designer only. No other software will be allowed. Patterns are allowed in projects, but if they are commercial or purchased patterns they will be omitted from the mpc. But can be shown in a photo If they are shared or free patterns they are allowed to shown in the mpc.

2) The project must be mainly cut out using the CW. Finishing touches can be made with any tool the member may have.

3) All designs will be submitted in mpc format with photos of the finish project.

4) All projects will have a valentine theme.

5) Only one entry per member per class.

6) You must have fun and remember we are sharing our project designs and we all win!

So pick the project you like to make and choose the level you think you qualify with woodworking skills and tool collection.

I am excited about this and can't wait to see the brilliant designs we can share and learn from!

Then as stated above the threads will be made available to enter projects.

The key to this friendly contest is attitude! Your jewelery box will be judged with a birdhouse and the birdhouse may win! So keep in mind this.....

Attitude is the difference between day and night.

Attitude is the difference between blindness and sight.

Attitude is the difference between a good and bad,

Attitude is the difference between forgiveness and keeping a grudge

Attitude is the difference between life and death.

Attitude is the difference between having fun and not.

Attitude is the difference between can and can not.

Attitude is the difference between positive and negative.

Attitude is the difference between wining and a losing

Attitude is key to life, so what if a simple clock wins over a detailed jewelry box! All aspects are taken into account the design and the woodworking skills.
So maybe the jewelry box workmanship is fantastic but lacks design pizazz, then the clock design is so unique along with the workmanship it beats out the fancy jewelry box.

Adjust your attitude! Because the next member will see your box and will be able to download that design make the project and cherish it for life. Even if it didn't win the contest!

My thoughts from the get go was to have a source to share ideals and projects and have fun along the way! So we all know that there will be only one winner in each category.

By being able to share and download all the designs and learning a new trick or two we are all winners..... Adjust your attitude be a winner, not a loser!

Ike

Posted this to put the contest into perspective and by no means saying all the members need to have an attitude adjustment! I want this to be fun and to be able to share as a community. Words are a strange thing without the seeing of the emotions and how they presented then they can be taken out of context! I am a perfect example of that, right Michael!!!

Ike
01-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Just to get an ideal, how many members are going to go for the contest? It will help for prizes and if there are many we may need a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize.

I for one will give it a whirl! Don't let anything but your imagination stop you! We have 3 levels so don't say I am not good enough.

I would like to see even the new members enter, go for the beginner class and design a cool project and let the CW do all the work!.

I am not going to enter the expert class I have the woodworking skill but I am a novelist when it comes to design. So I may go beginner or be brave to and enter the intermediate!

So you may have the expertise in designing and intermediate in woodworking. I would enter the expert class and let the CW/CC do all the work!

The point is this is for fun and so time is wasting lets have fun. Let us all know if you plan on entering and don't let your skill in desiging or woodworking stop you!

Ike

andes
01-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Just to get an ideal, how many members are going to go for the contest? It will help for prizes and if there are many we may need a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize.

I for one will give it a whirl! Don't let anything but your imagination stop you! We have 3 levels so don't say I am not good enough.

I would like to see even the new members enter, go for the beginner class and design a cool project and let the CW do all the work!.

I am not going to enter the expert class I have the woodworking skill but I am a novelist when it comes to design. So I may go beginner or be brave to and enter the intermediate!

So you may have the expertise in designing and intermediate in woodworking. I would enter the expert class and let the CW/CC do all the work!

The point is this is for fun and so time is wasting lets have fun. Let us all know if you plan on entering and don't let your skill in desiging or woodworking stop you!

Ike

I'm thinking about it ;-}

Ike
01-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Don't think....DO !!!! :)

Ike

yellowdog
01-18-2009, 10:20 PM
I love the idea but lack the time. Can't wait to see what you talented folks come up with! Good luck to all.

Ike
01-18-2009, 10:48 PM
I love the idea but lack the time. Can't wait to see what you talented folks come up with! Good luck to all.

Ah come on my shop is a mess and I'm going to give a whirl. Design something and let the CW do all the work. You can do it yellow dog!!

Ike