PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a "loop"

captbum
01-13-2009, 07:04 AM
I have run into a snag with my machine.

After I go thru loading a new board, project, and start the setup, the carver hits a "loop" where it keeps repeating the question "load 1/16 carving bit". I hit enter, the machine starts homing, then repeats the question- this happens over and over until I hit stop. Then it gives me a "board find fault error 236" on the display.

Any help would be appreciated

Capt Bum

Jeff_Birt
01-13-2009, 08:16 AM
This is a somewhat common problem usually caused by the 'bit plate' not coming fully out. After you load a bit it goes through a measurement cycle. It will go to the rear of the machine and the bit plate will flip out and the bit will go down and touch on it twice. Next it comes to the front of the machine and touches down on the wood. Watch your machine as this happens. Do a search for 'bit plate' and you'll find lots of information.

captbum
01-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the info.

The bit plate does come fully out, and the bit does touch it twice. I was told to do a thorough cleaning, and that may solve it.

captbum
01-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Well, I did a cleaning on it, and still the same problem.

It seems like a software problem, but I'm no expert.

anything else I can try????

cnsranch
01-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Does your project involve more than one bit? Perhaps if you posted your mpc someone could take a look.

captbum
01-14-2009, 07:41 AM
No, it's a simple project using 1 bit.

ChrisAlb
01-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Does it ever get to touching the board?

What version of software are you using?

Is the bit tight in the adapter?

Try deleting the project from the card and uploading it again. It's very rare but every once and a while a little glitch happens when uploading to the card.

As CNS said, post the MPC (if it isn't a commercial pattern that is) and maybe we can take a look.

captbum
01-14-2009, 08:14 AM
OK-

here is the info:

*yes the bit touches the board
*firmware version is 1.126
*the bit is tight in the adapter
*I did try deleting from the card and reloading it, but I'll try again

mpc is attached

Thanks

ChrisAlb
01-14-2009, 08:34 AM
At first glance I don't see anything wrong with the file although I've never seen raster text approached quite that way...interesting.

I'm using the latest version 1.132 so I can't make any changes to it and save it or you won't be able to open it.

So this is probably a silly question but, you said the "firmware" version is 1.126, is the "software" version also 1.126?

Like I said, probably silly but if you're using a newer software, and have an older firmware, that might be a problem.

Otherwise, if the bit is touching the board twice when finding the surface, I see no reason for the loop. You might want to give LHR a call if reloading to the card doesn't help.

captbum
01-14-2009, 08:56 AM
I didn't realize my software is outdated. I am in the process of downloading the update to 1.132 as I type this. So feel free to mess with the file I sent.

If all else fails, I'll get a hold of LHR.

Thanks again!

Amonaug
01-14-2009, 11:09 AM
It has been said sometimes too high of head pressure will cause the constant looping. Using a bathroom scale so it's under both rollers at the same time and you can read it, lower the head until you get the 5 clicks. Ideal is around 80-85 lbs. Over that and it could be the problem.

captbum
01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Thank you to all for the input on a solution!

After a thorough cleaning, updating the firmware, and some tightening of a loose screw on the cutter, it is working fine!

I am not sure exactly which thing solved the problem, but I am back to production instead of frustration!

ChrisAlb
01-14-2009, 03:55 PM
More than likely, All of the above. Glad you're up and running again.

Regular cleaning, maintenance and preventative maintenance are the keys to a happy CW.

Ike
01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
At first glance I don't see anything wrong with the file although I've never seen raster text approached quite that way...interesting.

Chris I read this and had to look, it is interesting what he did! I tried it on my own and it appears it changes raster to centerline. Is it because we already have centerline or will this procedure work for somebody without centerline?

Ike

ChrisAlb
01-14-2009, 04:55 PM
My assumption was that he didn't have centerline and that's why he did it that way.

When I opened the file it didn't "change it to centerline". With the raster text selected, he applied the carve region button to it which makes it "look" like centerline but it's still raster.

Select the text, right click and pick edit text. When the text box opens, you'll see it's still raster.

Ike
01-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Being of the curious mind I installed another copy of designer it was the 1.120 version and it didn't have centerline.

I opened a board and added text in raster and copied on the board. It showed as raised lettering, so I pushed the carve region function and it sure looks like centerline!

Ike

Ike
01-14-2009, 05:14 PM
My assumption was that he didn't have centerline and that's why he did it that way.

When I opened the file it didn't "change it to centerline". With the raster text selected, he applied the carve region button to it which makes it "look" like centerline but it's still raster.

Select the text, right click and pick edit text. When the text box opens, you'll see it's still raster.

Yes but as I said I installed the designer again without centerline and using the raster and carve region function it looks just like centerline. It first appear as raised lettering and then using the carve region it became recess and looked like centerline. After if you invert it returns to the raster look. I find that interesting and another thing learned! I think that is so cool a poor man's centerline! This way you have no control of what bit you can use, I did try outlining it and it created an even neater looking style!

I wonder how it will carve? I commend you Captbum for thinking outside the box!!!

Ike