PDA

View Full Version : Z Truck Assembly

lovejoys
01-13-2009, 02:47 AM
I got a new truck today got it after bit fell out and cracked my old 1 or so I thought ?

put new 1 in today after about 45 min started to really vibrate and when I look at the new one it was cracked in about the same place as the old and it messed up the tip of my flex shaft

So what did this ?????

1 bad reconditioned Z truck
2 Me (not sure how but ok)
3 Just bad Luck
4 you fill in the blank please help me work this one out

do Carvewright offer next day shipping ?????

Tom75
01-13-2009, 09:12 AM
this is what my old z-truck looked like . this was the orinigal one

lovejoys
01-13-2009, 10:31 AM
thanks I know what they look like why did it crack

Tom75
01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
not shure . i thaught the problem was the rod the bearing ride on but when i took the ztruck off i saw that it was cracked 3/4s the way across and that was it . as to how or why i am not shaure how it cracked or why . sorry i could not help . but there are more nolagebl ladys/gent that might be able to answer . have a good day .
Tom

lovejoys
01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
did it happen again after you got a new z truck

do you think is was hitting the side hard on the bit plate

Tom75
01-13-2009, 11:34 PM
it did not happen again . the first ztruck hthey sent me was no good the spindel shaft the qc screws on to had play in it the replace ment for that one is good . i dont know what caused it but i will ask helpbot3000 if he has any ideas on what would cause it .

lovejoys
01-14-2009, 01:58 PM
what about the temp I keep my shop above 60

the temp will go down a little a night

Amonaug
01-14-2009, 02:36 PM
what about the temp I keep my shop above 60

the temp will go down a little a night

Optimum operating temp is 55-60+, it's 40 in my garage and the CW is running fine. Below 50 and you can get some problems, it just depends.

lovejoys
01-14-2009, 04:08 PM
do you think if the z got too cold it would crack like this

room temp is 60 but the metal is colder I guss

Tom75
01-14-2009, 04:18 PM
i got an answer today about it . on older ztrucks cracked due to vibration . they found an extra washer on the lower right bearing usualy toped that from happaning . the washer should be put on th out side of the ztruck so the bearing still sits flush with the ztruck. there is a thred about the washer . i will try to find it and try to place as an attatchment here for you to see. hope that helps . if the temp is undre 50 the cw/cc may not work properly 50 + is the optimal temp . right naw the temp here in pembroke MA is 24 dagreas and suposed to get colder and more snow over the next cupel of days .

lovejoys
01-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I had the washer on both of mine

extra washer on the lower right bearing on the out side

1 of the tecs said the same to me but when I told him the crack was in the center of the Z he had no idea and told me to look or ask on the forum

I just do not want to put another on and have it happen again sorry for all the ?

Tom75
01-14-2009, 04:43 PM
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=9091
this is the thred where i first saw about he washer on the z-truck . and after reading it again some are still braking .

Tom75
01-14-2009, 04:52 PM
did some more looking but could not find any thing about the z being cracket in the center . i am on my third z -truck the first replacement i got was no go from the start the shaft would move front to back sent it back and got another and is working good . they are a pain to put on and get adjusted right . and its no bother thats what we are all here for to ask questions and get answers and get better . i have asked a lot of qustions and got a lot of answers and from that i am learnnig more and more and some day i hope to be able help other members just as much as the modarators and other members have helped me . have a good day and stay worm its about 23dagrees south shaure ma

RanUtah
01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Are there instructions on how to take off and put on the assembly?

RanUtah
01-19-2009, 10:00 AM
btt...............

Tom75
01-19-2009, 11:24 AM
http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CarveWright_service_z-truck_Replacement.pdf here is the pdf on replaceing the z-truck

lovejoys
01-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Hi Tom thanks for you help 1 more ?

what is the proper perload

I know finger think but not sure how much to push it

any tricks

Tom75
01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
the pre load is right when you turn the bearing by hand and the z-truck moves up or down and the bearing does not slip on the guid rods at the same time . i hope this helps .