PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Scanning Probe

zampogna
01-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi All
Recently purchased two machines with scanning probes ( one for a friend ) .
Both scanning probes are giving us problems. First the error messages etc and check probe as well.
Thought perhaps the wire might be the problem ,so pushed the plug connector again to make sure it was in then the cable to the probe , nothing .
Then I pushed the wire in leading to the probe and finally got some action. To me there is some sort of bad connection of the wire into the probe . That was on both probes . Any one else having this problem?
Also I find that on the new machines where you plug the probe into the side , the wire in not excessively long with the clip holding the wire to the front. Take some double sided tape and tape the clip back farther to allow more slack for the wire ..
Carvewright is supposed to get back to me about the intermittent operation of the scanning probe.
Peter

eromran
01-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Had same problem took the three screws off bottom of probe seen which connection was loose soldered it back and has been good every since.

zampogna
01-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Ed
Is it an easy reach to resolder the wire, or is it a cramped work space in there and need a very small soldering gun.
Peter

eromran
01-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Ed
Is it an easy reach to resolder the wire, or is it a cramped work space in there and need a very small soldering gun.
PeterIts not tight every thing comes out to solder.Just remember how you take it apart its not very hard though there are very few pieces and pretty self explanatory. You can turn probe upside down take three screws out and take a peek and if you don't fill comfortable put back together without any trouble. I used a regular size gun. Don't know how good you are at soldering I'm not but place wire on the connection heat that then when that gets hot touch soldier to that works way better than heating the solder to fall where you want it. Any questions fill free to ask.

zampogna
01-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks Ed
Sounds very do-able. Before I tackle it however, I will see if Carvewright will honor their 6 month warranty on both of the probes . We only purchased them 1 month ago. And if I take the paint off the screws , they might say that I have tampered with them and not want to replace them. So will wait to see what Carveright has to say.
Thanks again
Peter

eromran
01-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks Ed
Sounds very do-able. Before I tackle it however, I will see if Carvewright will honor their 6 month warranty on both of the probes . We only purchased them 1 month ago. And if I take the paint off the screws , they might say that I have tampered with them and not want to replace them. So will wait to see what Carveright has to say.
Thanks again
PeterThe my probe came with a jumper wire to extend the length you might ask about that while your at it.

zampogna
01-23-2009, 07:44 PM
The replacement scanning probes works GREAT.
Peter

myairplane
02-04-2009, 06:32 AM
I just bought a probe at Lowes and I get this same thign also.. To fix it, I simply turn the probe slighty and hit enter.. Did I to get a bad probe? I just bought it a few days ago, so takign it apart and resoldering is out of the question.

Dennis

eromran
02-05-2009, 08:51 AM
I just bought a probe at Lowes and I get this same thign also.. To fix it, I simply turn the probe slighty and hit enter.. Did I to get a bad probe? I just bought it a few days ago, so takign it apart and resoldering is out of the question.

DennisTurning the probe is not fixing it if it is a loose wire it is simply making a temporary connection that can go on and off during a scan and you won't even know you will just think your scan is a little off. Since you just got it and know its not working right i would take it back.Hope this helps.

bfcg
02-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Same problem. It was fairly easy to see the problem was with where the wire connects to the probe housing.
I thought about fixing it but am worried about warranty issues.
I am waiting for Omar the probe tech/supervisor to call me.

myairplane
02-14-2009, 05:24 PM
You will wait forever! Call them back.. I tried that route, even email, never got a return call or email but always get someone on the phone when I call.. I spend over an hour on the phone with a tech which insited it was the cable not the probe and wanted to send me a new one. I kept telling him i'm not even moving the cable, just moving the rire where it comes out of the probe which was making the status go from open to closed rapidly.. He still insisted it was the cable so I ended up taking it back to Lowes for an exchange. I only exchange the probe since I have registered the software all ready. I was going to swap the cable as well but forgot about it being under the box insert.. Brought it home, did an 11.5 hour scan (big part) without any problems.. :) And I was using the orginal cable!