Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maze Box

Default Maze Box

This is a simple maze box I put together this past weekend. Attached is a preview from Designer along with a couple actual pictures. It was carved using a 1/8" ballnose bit and a 1/4" ballnose for the start/end points.

I wrote a program to randomly generate mazes of any dimension and optimized the vector path layouts to minimize tracking errors during carving. The machine (especially with 1.131 firmware) unfortunately uses multiple different feed rates when positioning vs. carving and can cause slight tracking errors when carving hundreds of vector paths requiring precise alignment.

I still need to find a better solution for the frame, not happy with the current results. Plus, I'm looking at making the next maze double sided requiring a more elaborate frame to hold all the pieces together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maze_preview_designer.jpg   maze_box.jpg   maze_box_closeup.jpg  

Thumbs up Ya Self Contained Toys!!

Neat! I like it, I made a couple last year for the Grand Kids.
    Keeps em quit for a few minutes while I read the instructions of how to put their latest toys together.
    Tab "B" into Hole "D" ---no- no Slot "E"-- wait --what happened to Tab "A"

Nice Project, Well Done
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default Looks

Quote Originally Posted by jlitz View Post
    This is a simple maze box I put together this past weekend. Attached is a preview from Designer along with a couple actual pictures. It was carved using a 1/8" ballnose bit and a 1/4" ballnose for the start/end points.

I wrote a program to randomly generate mazes of any dimension and optimized the vector path layouts to minimize tracking errors during carving. The machine (especially with 1.131 firmware) unfortunately uses multiple different feed rates when positioning vs. carving and can cause slight tracking errors when carving hundreds of vector paths requiring precise alignment.

I still need to find a better solution for the frame, not happy with the current results. Plus, I'm looking at making the next maze double sided requiring a more elaborate frame to hold all the pieces together.
    Pretty good to me. I like it alot.
    Eva

Thumbs up

I really like several mazes that have been posted. I am intriged...gonna try to wrap my head around it so I can design one and carve one.

By the way, Ken, have you posted a picture of your concrete masterpiece after you got it set in its permanent home? I'm also waiting for the lichens to grow!
    Jerry

Joanne and me enjoying a beautiful fall in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills.

Cool

Not yet Jerry,
    It was to late in the fall to get it started,
    I'll have to wait till April for the lichens to grow.
    To much of that white stuff out there right now.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

That is really nice! I'm trying to figure out why you're not happy with the frame - sure looks alright to me!

I had a thought when you mentioned the tracking issue you are observing. I'll bet LHR/CarveWright would be interested in that information. Perhaps you could also provide them an mpc they could try in their workshop to see if they observe the same issue. If so, that could possibly be helpful in making improvements.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I wrote a program to randomly generate mazes of any dimension and optimized the vector path layouts to minimize tracking errors during carving.
    jlitz,

Nice, clean looking maze!

Out of curiousity, how did you go from custom program to vector paths? Ie, did you simply generate a raster file with maze lines, and then use the outline / cut path features of Designer?

R, Jon

Default Maze

jlitz,

I'm with the others, nice project and the frame looks good to me!
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    That is really nice! I'm trying to figure out why you're not happy with the frame - sure looks alright to me!
    It's alright, just not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    I had a thought when you mentioned the tracking issue you are observing. I'll bet LHR/CarveWright would be interested in that information. Perhaps you could also provide them an mpc they could try in their workshop to see if they observe the same issue. If so, that could possibly be helpful in making improvements.
    I'll likely do that. I'm currently waiting for a response on another issue I ran into where certain paths would be cut with the wrong bit.

Nice job

Just make sure vectors do not occupy the same space.. As a time warp could damage your craft.

Lg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast