Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawdust Removal

Default Sawdust Removal

As previously stated, I recently got the JET DC1100C RC dust collector (it's huge) with suction enough to never have pets or small wives walk in front of when in full power. I attached that to the rear exhaust port with a tight fitting vacuum hose size reducer (the 4" to 2½" fits perfectly when you remove the cloth filter section).

RESULTS: Nada, zip, zero in removing sawdust while machine is working. I thought perhaps the breathing fin holes above might have been deflecting the suction, but nope. blocking those (plastic wrap) didn't change a thing. It's just the wrong place to put any type of vacuum and expect it to clear ANY sawdust from the work area. And I haven't tried the bottom yet, but I'm afraid that it'll do a little, but won't clear the top sawdust all that much either. Thus, it's either the side (right) and best, the top through the clear plastic that would be the best. Actually (hint hint) an attachment for something like a very flexible 1¼" hose onto the Z truck would be best, if it wouldn't hurt the action of the truck. That way the sawdust would clearly be removed as the bit would creat it.

That's what I'm finding, anyway. I just made one of the biggest collection of sawdust ever (doing a ½" depth on a ¾" board) and that took four separate opening to clear it out during the carving process. for this I used my much smaller Shop Vac. It would have been great if the JET could have been attached to do the job.

Bob Hill
    Tampa Florida

Through the right side doesn't work, if you look theres the right side of the carriage blocking a path.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Didn't you go through the right side, Pkunk?

Bob

Yes, but wish I hadn't. On a really thick piece it helps some, but the bottom suction is the best I've tried. I do have more suction than most at 1800cfm.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Pkunk,

By using the bottom suck, how much sawdust does it remove that gathers on the top? That's where most of the problem area is, of course. I forget who now, that did it through the plastic cover, but for all I wouldn't like to do it there, I'm still thinking that's the best so far.

Bob

There is still dust left on the surface but hardly any anywhere else in the machine. The shelf under the cover will get a half teaspoon.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

That's cheap enough for me to give it a try, Pkunk.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk
    There is still dust left on the surface but hardly any anywhere else in the machine. The shelf under the cover will get a half teaspoon.
    My dust collector is not as big as yours, I do get some left on the shelf under the clear cover also
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails woodworking_004_153.jpg   woodworking_002_155.jpg  
    Kurt

The Bard Guest

that machine is too clean to be a working model...

I say Fake!

I'm looking to do something like Kurt. I've got a folding workmate and will remove the center top section and replace it with a board with a slot cut in it. I'm still looking for dust collector parts such as a 'y' connector as I want to use the exhust port as well as the bottom. Currently it take me about 30 minutes to do a cleanup and wipe down after a project, and they're only short 60 minute test projects. The machine is far better at carving the project than I am at designing it.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast