Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modification to Ringneck Blues DC Insert

Default Modification to Ringneck Blues DC Insert

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_3290.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	59985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_3289.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	59986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_3291.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	59987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_3288.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	59988I bought the side discharge Ringneck Blues DC insert about a year ago and put it on the machine according to the instructions. It worked well and I have no complaints about it's ability to do it's designed task. However, I noticed two problems with the side discharge (at least in my shop arrangement). First the take-up chute that comes from inside the machine connected to the 4" diameter tube at a right angle tangent , i.e. in profile, it connected like the stick on a lollypop. This meant that nearly 1/2 the diameter of the discharge tube hung below the take-up chute intruding on the space that the red Head Lock Lever articulated. Secondly, my DC system uses a 28' Dust Right Expandable Hose (by Rockler) instead of the usual system of rigid tubing and flex hose. It essentially acts just like a long flexible hose except it is much stiffer, and heavier. With it I can service all the power tools in my shop without resorting to an entire system of hoses, tubing, manifolds, and blast gates. The down side of using it with my CW is that it is heavy and weighs down the DC insert further, pulling it further down into the Head Lock Lever area and even onto the workpiece.

My solution was to bend the side-discharge tube so the take-up chute connects to the tube at the circumferential tangent. This means the entire DC insert is above the take-up collector. I pop-riveted two brass braces to keep it locked into that position(see photos) I also riveted a ring onto the top of the discharge tube so I could rig a lifting/suspension line to further keep it up and out of interference with the workpiece and Locking Lever. Suprisingly, I haven't needed to resort to hanging it up with this, but it is there if I ever choose to use it.

As you can see in the photos, the only other modification I made was to tape a 4" PVC sewer pipe section onto the end of the discharge tube so I have quick connections. This PVC section is the enlarged end of a 10' section. I have one of these on all my power tools and it permits connecting my DC hose by just sliding it into it. The fit is close enough to hold it with friction and the suction provided by the DC machine.

Now I am completely satisfied with my DC system. It keeps the machine entirely clean when I am cutting wood and mostly clean when I cut plastic. The static electricity generated while cutting plastic keeps some chips stuck to various parts of the inside of the machine and rollers. I don't know of any solution to this. I just vacuum it out(with a small shop vac) and then blow it out with compressed air after each project and it is clean as new.

Thank you for showing us photos of your modification and for the thorough explanation.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Very Nice SHOP !!! and a GREAT Collector and nice Dust Collector.... Question? Do you have a Ground wire between the CW Frame and the Dust Collector Frame or is the frame floating not grounded and the plastic sticks? Just curious?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

200K,

Great job and thanks so much for sharing your "re design" for the locking handle access. I have received a few responses about the handle access and what I shared was, "since there is none to very little dust build up on the board with the DC-INSERT that would cause the head to raise, I find that locking the handle in places is not really needed." I assume though that since the locking handle is on the machine that there are in fact a lot of carves who do use it to help insure the head does not raise as they probably do on their planers. I see this as a simple change to make in my design for Version 3a.

On you comments about the hose weight, I also found that the normal dust collection hose was bulky and heavy. That is why I shared that on my set up I use the aluminum drier vent hose for the hook up to the insert. Some have gone with my suggestion and others have used some type of support system if they stay with the normal hose. With version 3 being a bit stouter I will take another look at the hose weight issue as well.

Thanks again for being that other set of eyes and opening up mine to other possibilities.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I too have the dc dust collecter I had a problem with it hitting the y chuck and making sparks I solved that problem by putting a 1/4 plywood in between the lip of the machine and and insert and that brought it up so that it did'nt hit.

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    I too have the dc dust collecter I had a problem with it hitting the y chuck and making sparks I solved that problem by putting a 1/4 plywood in between the lip of the machine and and insert and that brought it up so that it did'nt hit.
    Post me a picture please!!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default Fresh for the RingNeckBlues Tin Shop

I have the update done for raising the 4" pipe for easier access to the red locking handle.

I also tested for the concern of weight of the standard dc hose. I sat a full 1 gal can of stain on the 4" pipe and it lowered by only about 1/4". I believe with the larger format it is better at supporting more weight versus the small format..

Comment welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo099.jpg   Photo098.jpg   Photo101.jpg  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    I have the update done for raising the 4" pipe for easier access to the red locking handle.
    You mean there are people who actually use the Red Handle?? I confess...I did use it on my first two projects over six years ago. Haven't used it since!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    You mean there are people who actually use the Red Handle?? I confess...I did use it on my first two projects over six years ago. Haven't used it since!
    I am finding out a lot do use it. Old school wood workers with planers who are used to locking the head before running the board through I believe. If they did not want us to use it they would not of put it on the machine.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Floyd - Got the High Volume DC-INSERT. I love how Beefy it is. Think I will be ordering another at some point.

I am working it up on my A model test machine so I can see it I can mount it without cutting the lid using the Magnetic switches. The switches in my preliminary test work great so far with the cover switch. Will be testing the Cut motor side next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast