Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two-sided Celtic Cross

Default Two-sided Celtic Cross

I have finished my first carving that I would even think of showing the experts on this forum. It's a two-sided carving of a Celtic Cross. The attached pictures show it before removing from the board and after I sanded and varnished it. I like that it's three-dimensional although the picture doesn't show that well.

I used the Celtic Knot 3D program that I had mentioned over in Techniques a while back. I saved the knot as a .stl file and then imported into Doug's great CarvePic program. I then tweaked the height map within CarvePic and saved as a .png, and then imported into Designer.

Since both sides of this particular knot are symmetrical (not all are), I was able to use the same .png for both sides of the carving. One thing I learned the hard way is that when you do two-sided carving, it's very important that the board be perfectly square. Any out-of-square shows up as misalignment between the front and back of the finished carving.

Anyway, with a successful carving under my belt, I'm ready to take on many more! (I have to because if my math is right, this one carving cost me about $2000, another 1999 carvings and they'll each cost a buck!!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Celtic Cross1.jpg   Celtic Cross2.jpg  

Very impressive it even got my wifes attention. keep up the great work
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I have 1.132 and previous versions back to 1.19 on standby

Please support Cystic Fibrosis

Ohhhh yeah and we dont mind seeing a little designer firewood too
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I have 1.132 and previous versions back to 1.19 on standby

Please support Cystic Fibrosis

KevinO,

Very nice job, Really impressive,
    Now you have to out do Yourself
    on the next one.
    Just Kidding and Thanks for sharing you photos.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

KevinO, that is simply fantastic!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default Blown Away!!

I am totally blown away!!
    I have not got my machine yet (boo hoo!!, maybe 10 days) and this makes me want it even more.
    It is so hard to believe that this machine is capable of doing such work. Keep up the good work.

Steve
    Last edited by Steven Alford; 04-01-2008 at 09:05 PM.

That's just great!!! Number 1,293,329 on the "To-Do" list!! Will it ever end!

Great work KevinO!!!

Awesome...I love 2 side carving projects

Quote Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
    I have finished my first carving that I would even think of showing the experts on this forum.
    Oh come on, we like to see the mistakes too, it helps us learn.

Very nice on the cross. What wood did you use since it looks like the wasn't much clean up (sanding)?
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks then it needed replacing anyway.

Have a Craftsman Carver and Running Ver. 1.150

Posting pictures tutorial http://www.malanoski.com/downloads/posting_pictures.pdf.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
    I have finished my first carving that I would even think of showing the experts on this forum. It's a two-sided carving of a Celtic Cross. The attached pictures show it before removing from the board and after I sanded and varnished it. I like that it's three-dimensional although the picture doesn't show that well.

I used the Celtic Knot 3D program that I had mentioned over in Techniques a while back. I saved the knot as a .stl file and then imported into Doug's great CarvePic program. I then tweaked the height map within CarvePic and saved as a .png, and then imported into Designer.

Since both sides of this particular knot are symmetrical (not all are), I was able to use the same .png for both sides of the carving. One thing I learned the hard way is that when you do two-sided carving, it's very important that the board be perfectly square. Any out-of-square shows up as misalignment between the front and back of the finished carving.

Anyway, with a successful carving under my belt, I'm ready to take on many more! (I have to because if my math is right, this one carving cost me about $2000, another 1999 carvings and they'll each cost a buck!!)
    Great carve !!
    How long was the carve time?
    Actual completed size?
    Are you willing to share the ptn?
    Placed 1st and 3rd in the 2011 Desert Woodcarvers Show

www.customwoodcarvingllc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast