Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Chuck (QC) modification alternative.

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    The "Quick Change" chucks on a regular Router use a set screw. This would not work with the CW; you could not set the bits the same way without the CW QC type chuck. And you do change bit a lot.
    All you would need to set the different bits the same way each time is a jig that would set the height of the bit to a reference point on the Z truck casing. Using the "Eliminator RC quick change chuck" for example would greatly improve the rigidity and reliability of the bits by eliminating the adaptors.
    Last edited by Pratyeka; 01-12-2009 at 02:12 PM.

2. Default

Just curious about this "Eliminator RC quick change chuck", has anyone ever tried to replace the original QC with one of those? I'm currently attempting to do so. If I'm successful, will it be ok if I post the results here, complete with pictures and how I did it? I would not want to go against any policy concerning modifying the Carvewright with third party parts and posting about it in the forums.

From what I could tell from their website each chuck will only accept one size of bit. So if you have to switch between 1/4" and 1/2" bits you have to remove the whole chuck and put a new one on. I don't think you could keep your bit length consistent between bit changes that way.

It would be interesting to see how it works for you. I suspect that if it breaks your machine it will not be covered under warranty though.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

4. Default

They have a reducing sleeve for 3/8" and 1/4" bit. If it works, I'll make a jig for the different types of bit so when mounted, they will always have the same height.
    Best regards

Be sure to ask them about the runout on their reduces. Most 'router' type reducer bushings have a great deal of runout. If they do not require you to press them on the bit it is a good sign you will have a lot of runout. Good luck...

6. Default

Thanks Jeff, the reducers have slots running the lenght of it and are tight fit. I have a smmall machine shop at work and tomorrow will check the runout of the modified chuck and reducer bushings.
    The modification of the chuck went very well, almost done. Just need to shorten the lenght of the tubular part that fits inside the threaded thingy where the QC screws on.

I have measured all the different bits using the bottom bearing of the Z truck as reference. From what I understand, the machine knows the lenght of each bit by measuring it before and during the actual carving of the project, but does not "remember" the lenght of the bits from one project to the next. Am I right?

Right, it remembers the length if you have more than one bit for a project and it asks you to load them for a length check before carving with the first bit.

Not between projects.

Good Luck with you project.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I bit doing a bit of research on the Eliminator chuck. Seems the folks who have never measured runout are happy and those who have are not.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...tml?1024357639

They don't have any specs listed on their website for the chuck or bushings. It will be interesting to see how it works for you.

9. Default

I'm very happy to announce that the modified Eliminator chuck is installed and the runout measured with a dial gauge on a 1/2" dia. steel blank is 0.0015". I also used used a powerful dremel like tool to spin the mounted chuck at up to 30,000 rpm and getting minor vibration. It is smooth at 20,000 rpm.

I will test with a 1/4 bit and the adaptor next and take a few pictures later today.

Prat-
    Are you replacing the QC Chuck only or the QC and spindle in the z-truck?
    Another option question, are you placing a QC adapter on the eliminator chuck and using it with out removing the QC from the CW.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast