Thread: Machine Just Stops - No Error Message

Angry Machine Just Stops - No Error Message

After 3+ hours of carving and just starting to cut-out the patterns the machine just stopped. Display "Carvewright Machine"... No error message, nothing... Pushed the stop key, noting, pushed the enter key, nothing...pushed the rest of the keys....NOTHING... Turned machine Off. Turned Machine ON...The display is nothing but a solid bar on the first line, nothing on the line below it... Turned the machine off, removed card, opened up designer and checked the card.... No Errors registered...

I'm dead in the water... Ideas!!!!!
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny
    Every day I thank God for Mister Levi Strauss
    mailto:gunny@thegunnys.us
    http://www.thegunnys.us

It sounds as if the card may have vibrated loose from the controller. If it can't read the information from the card, then it will stop. But in this case, it should have given an error message.

Did you have any power surges or spikes or anything at that point?
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by atauer View Post
    It sounds as if the card may have vibrated loose from the controller. If it can't read the information from the card, then it will stop. But in this case, it should have given an error message.

Did you have any power surges or spikes or anything at that point?
    Well the card appears to be OK... I tried pluging it in again, with the same results... Is there a connection on a board I can check???
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny

My first impression is due to vibration the card has come loose from the connector on the side of the computer or controller.

That is what a reboot with card unplugged, a line of blocks on the upper LCD and the lower is blank looks like.

Since the card looks good and it still won't boot up...

I would remove the bottom and check the push on connectors on the computer and inspect the pins on the card connector.

You may have blown the computer... Unusual but possible.

Another possibility is a bad power supply. Not the L2 but something else.

Let us know.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03694_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-11-2009 at 08:43 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Controller???

Same thing happened to me Dan, it was the controller. Brace yourself, it is one of the pricy parts. It is the part that the card sticks into. A breeze to change, I think we pay for the convenience on that one.

Thanks Al... I'll check it first thing in the morning... I've been cutting the pieces out and sanding all night... Project was due out tomorrow, so I've been busting butt... We'll take the machine apart and check all the connections... I will let you know what I find...

Thanks again...
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny

Quote Originally Posted by unitedcases View Post
    Same thing happened to me Dan, it was the controller. Brace yourself, it is one of the pricy parts. It is the part that the card sticks into. A breeze to change, I think we pay for the convenience on that one.
    Unitedcases...

From one Gunny to another thanks for your input... Tomorrow is break-down day and troubleshooting... Hoping for the best, expecting the worst..
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny

I hear ya Dan, I kinda like those days because all Marines love to tinker, but then again if the machine isnt running.....

Angry Ouch....#$%* Computer's

Well it looks like it is the computer... $$$ Shipping isn't cheap either I should be back up Friday... Key word being "Should"... I'm guessing it over heated... That whole area was packed with saw dust.... Thinking about leaving the bottom cover off when I re-assemble the machine. It almost looked like the saw dust was being pulled in through one set of vents on the bottom and trying to exit out the other side....trouble is the computer really restricts the flow (out i'm guessing because of where the build-up was - wish I'd taken pictures as I disassembled the machine) and I'm assuming after a while there's no way for the material to get back out so we ended up with a mini-log jam... We'll see soon enough I guess...

Thanks everyone for your comments/inputs...
    Last edited by Dirtydan; 05-12-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny