Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Professional Sign Board Material

Default Professional Sign Board Material

Has anyone tried or is currently using any of the non-wood sign material with the carvewright system. Other than the higher cost of material I'm interested in what some of the pros and cons might be.

Thanks!!!

Yes, several folks have tried professional dense foam sign material and report excellent results. If I recall, the foam "dust" can "cling" and is more of a challenge to clean out of the machine. Only other thing is the possibilty of needing special coatings to seal the foam before final finishing, if memory serves. Your sign foam supplier can educate you more on the details, I assume.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 04-29-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

3. Smile

Some of the folks here have posted site addresses that'll send you free samples of their product. I received 3 densities of SP2 and some general information that expanded the possibilities for sign making. I also found the suppliers in the area very helpful and showed me materials I hadn't considered before.

"showed me materials I hadn't considered before"...
    yes..yes? like what?

Quote Originally Posted by SJF View Post
    Has anyone tried or is currently using any of the non-wood sign material with the carvewright system. Other than the higher cost of material I'm interested in what some of the pros and cons might be.

Thanks!!!
    The material carves very nice, but the machine clean-up is a pain. The carving leaves a sand like material that gets everywhere even with a good dust collection system. Be sure to remove the protective covers from the rollers and clean them very good. Failure to do so will cause pitting on the guide rails and bigger problems if un attended.

End results are good, but the material is very costly (makes Corian look cheap) and in some locations hard to find. I had to special order mine and could only get it in a 4' x 8' sheet.
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny
    Every day I thank God for Mister Levi Strauss
    mailto:gunny@thegunnys.us
    http://www.thegunnys.us

I have used SignFoam3 http://www.signfoam.com/index.html
    It carves great and with my down draft it did not seem to leave all that much dust. I bought a 15lb. 4ft x 8ft x 3/4in sheet at $207...expensive...the 1/2in 15lb. sheet is $157. This gets used only for special projects.

The 10lb. density is cheaper, but does not carve quite as nicely. The 18lb. density is overkill for signs and more expensive.

I got free samples of each density to experiment with.
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

Quote Originally Posted by SJF View Post

Thanks!!!

I've used Extira for several projects, large and small. It mills well, kinda like MDF so it's messy. The 1/2" thick is around $70 for a 4 by 8 sheet.

Default SignFoam Products

Here’s a little Info I received for SignFoam at the end of January 2009

Quote: form Email
    Subject: SignFoam
    Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:07:26 -0800

Hi Ken,

Hope I am not interrupting your day but I have a quick question.
    What size sheets are the people in the CarveWright / CompuCarve looking for 1.5” x 2’ x 4’?
    Reason being we are planning to sell small sheets from our website and would like to have the optimum size.

Thank you
    Rick Cooper

My Reply

Hi Rick,

The CW and CC Machine can cut projects up to 14.5" wide and several feet Long, the largest I've carved was 14" X 48".
    But I have cemented or glued two pieces together to make a finished Sign with Text and Graphics at 28" x 48".
    Also our Machine normally carves only .75" to .80" Deep so most of the stock we carve is .50" to 1" Thick.

I favor the .75 as being the most versatile for my machine, even though we can fit stock up to 5" Thick in the Machine.
    I think .05", .75", 1", X 2' x 4' would work the best for most folks with these Machines.

Thanks for Asking
    Ken

Give them a call to see if they've started selling the smaller sized sheets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SignFoam 1a.jpg   SignFoam 2a.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 05-02-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Question Want to get Stoned

Has anyone ever carved on Granite or Marble? If the answer is YES…. What kind of projects did you make? How did the bits hold up? Idea’s!!!!!!
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny
    Every day I thank God for Mister Levi Strauss
    mailto:gunny@thegunnys.us
    http://www.thegunnys.us

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydan View Post
    Has anyone ever carved on Granite or Marble? If the answer is YES…. What kind of projects did you make? How did the bits hold up? Idea’s!!!!!!
    Dan, I carve signs in all kinds and sizes of stone but I use plastic stencils, cut on a plotter, and a sandblaster to do the carving. As far as using the CW to carve stone...No way, Jose. If you could do it, it would be like sandblasting the inside of your machine. JMHO

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast