Thread: DUKW Pattern

Smile DUKW Pattern

I began my military "career" as a DUKW driver. Thank God, that I didn't remain one too long as I became the post photographer. For those that aren't familiar with a DUKW, it was an amphibious truck that was popular during WWII. We still had some in 1962.

I have searched for a pattern of a DUKW and haven't been able to find one. Any ideas?

When my Dad came down to Missouri a few years ago we took him down to Branson. He was amazed that folks paid good money to ride the 'ducks' (a water tour of the area) as when he was in the service, "a duck was the last place you wanted to be."
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Smile Dukw

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    When my Dad came down to Missouri a few years ago we took him down to Branson. He was amazed that folks paid good money to ride the 'ducks' (a water tour of the area) as when he was in the service, "a duck was the last place you wanted to be."
    How true that is. The DUKW would only do 6 MPH in the water and was NOISY! I got to ride for free and perched on the back of the DUKW with a Speed Graphic taking photos of loading a DUKW from a ship was no fun.

Branson can keep their "ducks".

Quote Originally Posted by jspringertx View Post
    I began my military "career" as a DUKW driver. Thank God, that I didn't remain one too long as I became the post photographer. For those that aren't familiar with a DUKW, it was an amphibious truck that was popular during WWII. We still had some in 1962.

I have searched for a pattern of a DUKW and haven't been able to find one. Any ideas?
    I tried to make a PTN from a JPEG image from the WEB, not very good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DUKW_.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Smile Dukw

Thank you! I may try one to see how it looks.

Talking Dukw

Great sites. It appears that one of the photos was an early version of a LARC. It was a much larger vehicle than the DUKW. I don't think it caught on as you could hear it running five miles away....a sitting "DUKW"