Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: another use for the machine

Along the lines of "another use", I too have used the machine too make, essentially, a custum tool.

I needed to replace the fan blades on a 1924 car. The blades are held with some dihedral, and each is custom fit to the hub. Using the measurements of each old blade, I carved 6 exact fit holding jigs to allow the blades to be cradled without moving while I drilled new holes in the new blades. Made it much easier.

I now intend to carve the rack that holds the trunk to the luggage rack, as it will be a simple, quick carve too.

So, functional carves as apposed to the magnifecent artistic stuff you guys do is also an important use for this machine.

Danni

Danni,

Depending upon the type of wood (from Bass Wood to Walnut and Maple) and the size (nothing larger than 1/4" and usually 3/32" thick) for the microwave wrapped in a wet towel (wring well, not dripping wet) and it would run between 2 min to 10 min and be sure to handle afterwards ONLY with gloves or hand protection to take it to your bender pegs. For glue I use CA (which works well with water/wet wood) or after it's bent and dried, Titebond III. If wider than about 1" or so, additional time added until it "feels" right, but I normally have no need of anything appreciably larger in widths.

Bob
    Last edited by BobHill; 08-21-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobHill View Post
    Danni,

Depending upon the type of wood (from Bass Wood to Walnut and Maple) and the size (nothing larger than 1/4" and usually 3/32" thick) for the microwave wrapped in a wet towel (wring well, not dripping wet) and it would run between 2 min to 10 min and be sure to handle afterwards ONLY with gloves or hand protection to take it to your bender pegs. For glue I use CA (which works well with water/wet wood) or after it's bent and dried, Titebond III. If wider than about 1" or so, additional time added until it "feels" right, but I normally have no need of anything appreciably larger in widths.

Bob
    Bob, Have you ever heard of using downy fabric softener in your steam bending ,it is supposed to make the wood bend easier ?But I have never tried it.
    Ben

Danni,

Bob
    Bob, Have you ever heard of using downy fabric softener in your steam bending ,it is supposed to make the wood bend easier ?But I have never tried it.
    Ben

Ben,

With Downy having a base of wax, it's hard to believe that could help the bending process, but NO, I've not heard of it until now, nor have I tried it.

Bob

Since we are talking about alternative/creative uses for the CW, I am an artist and am fascinated with the possibilities for creating 3-D pieces that would prove to be quite labor intensive not to mention difficult to create using traditional methods. The accuracy and repeatability seems incredible! The fact you can "drill" and place holes in very accurate locations is also a plus. I also want to try carving some high density wax/foam in order to create molds/patterns for some foundry pieces.

Ben,

With Downy having a base of wax, it's hard to believe that could help the bending process, but NO, I've not heard of it until now, nor have I tried it.

Bob
    Bob, I just wondered if you had come across it . I did a quick search and it looks like I had read an article in a fine a woodworking called "Bending wood without steam" It seemed interesting as I recall,but I was not recommending it.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Thanks, Ben,
    I just did a Google on that and didn't find anything. In any case, since my wife does use it, perhaps the next time, I'll see what happens with a small piece I can probably spare.
    Bob

Bob,

Since your ships are made using the CarveWright - why not post a picture of one or two on the new website - or on the Forum? I personally would really enjoy seeing what you are doing - it sounds very interesting and probably way to tedious for me, but I'd love to see your work.
    Bill

As my Grandpa used to say "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased!"

The idea of wood bending with Downy came form a Wood magazine, the article gave details on the use of it , If I recall correctly you soak the wood for a week or so in a mixture of water and downy fabric softener but you only need to soak the wood that has been kiln dried. Then you steam it as normal. Softens the fiberous tissues in wood more. Also gives a fresh scent to the finish project . I have seen this mentioned before on the internet. There are also two other methods they talk about one is using amononia hydroxide. the other is dry heat. We use to use the dry heat on our hockey sticks to get a curve on the blade. Now you buy them that way. I did find some time back a really good website on wood bending. Talked about what wood bends the best, how long to steam before bending per cross sectional inch. And the minimum radius you can us. I just can't seem to remember where it is. I will try looking for it and post the site when I do.
    It was put out by the US Forestry Department.
    Wish I had spell check

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast