Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night stand carvings

Quote Originally Posted by BobHill View Post
    Mike,

No matter what tools you made that with, that's fantastic work. When you said it was a Dremel like carving tool, would that be a Foredom Power Carver? Nice tool. Have you ever tried the Turbo Carvers http://www.turbocarver.com/ , with their 500,000rpm speed? With your talent, I would think those would cut your carving time in half.

Bob
    Thanks Bob. I have 3 B&D variable speed RTX's, a couple wizards, several electric and air ¼" grinding tools, a couple 4" grinders and a turbo carver. I really only use the turbo carver on the smaller details, it's not much use for hogging out larger amounts of material. Of the carvings I have do to date this one took the most time (by double).

If you want to see more of my stuff take a look here:
    http://www.mikesphotos.dpreview.photoshare.co.nz/
    If at first you do succeed - try to hide your astonishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexe SA View Post
    is an under statement. Totally awesome, fantastic, incredible. Dremel like tools? I can't get over this right now.
    Eva
    Thanks Eva. Here is a pic of most of the tools I used on this carving.

~Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carvetools1670_S.jpg  

Smile Thanks everyone

I didn't want to use a bunch of Carvewrights bandwidth thanking everyone indivdually.

Thanks for all the kind words, nice to hear after spending so much time on this.

~Mike

pamjmayo Guest

Default Is this for real?

I quit! There is no way a human being can do this type of work. Not only the amazing engraving but the light show as well. I hope you're making this for yourself and not for sale. It will be interesting to see how the CC could compete. Pam

Mike; You Da Man!!! L.o.l. On The Poker Playing Photo. Beautiful Work

Quote Originally Posted by pamjmayo View Post
    I quit! There is no way a human being can do this type of work. Not only the amazing engraving but the light show as well. I hope you're making this for yourself and not for sale. It will be interesting to see how the CC could compete. Pam
    Thanks Pam, yes it's for myself. I figured with the time I will have in this (with the addition of the two lower door carvings estimated) I will have around 260 hours in this so with the materials and the labor rate I get (doing bodywork $48 an hour ) that would make the cabinet about $13000.00 I can't imagine anyone would be willing to pay that kind of money.

That's part of the reason I bought the carvewright, I knew it wouldn't be capable of the really fine details but I thought I could scan my carveings and have the machine "rough" them out for me. I bought a pattern from vector art of a stage coach and a 6 horse team. I've had that pattern in mind for a while now to carve myself a new fireplace mantle. My plan is to see how well it carves it and do the detail and finish work myself. It would be easier to spend more time on the details if it didn't take me so long to get done with the rough out ( i get tired of hand, eye strain and sucking up all the dust

Thanks ~Mike
    Last edited by autobody; 08-21-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Default Carving

To Good To Be True. Some day I hope to even get close !

Your use of the carvewright to rough out is good. spend your talented time on the details.

Great Work It looks like 13,000.00 is cheap.
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

Cool Carving

That's beautiful. I've sent my second machine back to Texas. It just got back this week. I'll probably get some carving done and posted by this weekend.
    Are ya smoking canine fecal matter, AGAIN????

http://home.att.net/~inabnitt/wsb/ht...out.html-.html

Default Auto Painting

Mike,
    Are you as talented painting cars as you are with the woodworking? I have a 1948 chevy sedan delivery located in st louis that will be needing paint in the future. Interested? and where are you located? Ken1004

Quote Originally Posted by ken1004 View Post
    Mike,
    Are you as talented painting cars as you are with the woodworking? I have a 1948 chevy sedan delivery located in st louis that will be needing paint in the future. Interested? and where are you located? Ken1004
    I'd like to think so. I am an ASE certified Master Collision Rep/Refinish Tech. I try to do the best I can on everything I do, though hobby work or work for oneself doesn't have the limitation of dedlines and stress about time versus worth of the work.

I've never done anything (woodwork, bodywork or anything) that I thought came out perfect. For me it's a matter of how much time and money you want to spend till you get to a point that you can live with this imperfection or that imperfection.

Most of the bodywork and painting I do these days is insurance work (deer hits mostly), there isn't a lot of call for airbrushing or custom paint jobs around here to much anymore. The picture below is probably the most "artist" thing I've done in years and this was for free for my son.

I'd certainly be interested in painting your vehicle, though I'm not sure it would be worth the drive for you, I'm in Sundance Wyoming.

Thanks ~Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dodge Tailgate0.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12