Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revised MPC for Roman clock project

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    I think I may know why the columns are rounded, due to the tapered bit. Does that make sense because they are flat on my drawing.
    yes, if you look at Henry's picture you see exactly what mine look like. On the "sides" looking at the picture you see the 7 degree angle and on the top side there is another part where you see a the bump as the bit comes up around the tenon on the bottom. I just went back and looked at the columns .mpc and realized that the bit optimization in none which would have caused that.

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    Could you put a line segment at the base and apply the 1/8 straight bit?
    It can't be a "flat line" or it would cut off the tenon, It would have to be humped in the middle. I will have to puzzle over how to create one like that? Anybody have a suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    yes, if you look at Henry's picture you see exactly what mine look like. On the "sides" looking at the picture you see the 7 degree angle and on the top side there is another part where you see a the bump as the bit comes up around the tenon on the bottom. I just went back and looked at the columns .mpc and realized that the bit optimization in none which would have caused that.
    Bit optimization would not fix that. Bit optimization is about the ball not the taper. I was just fighting with the same thing trying to make dovetails. I had to resort to using the 3/16" carving bit since it has straight sides.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Bit optimization would not fix that. Bit optimization is about the ball not the taper. I was just fighting with the same thing trying to make dovetails. I had to resort to using the 3/16" carving bit since it has straight sides.
    There is two issues, bit optimization will not fix the first, but I think it will solve the second. I like your idea of using the 3/16 carving bit to solve the first problem I just tried it on the file and it looks like it will probably solve it but make the rest of the column ugly though.

Why not just cut a square recess in the base?

Another idea I thought of last night would be to add a 3/8 round tenon to the bottom of the existing tenon and then you could put it in your drill press (or even a hand drill) and use it like a lathe to fix the bottom. Then you could just cut it off when you were done. It wouldn't be as elegant a solution, but would probably be the most effective. Assuming most won't have a lathe, but would have a drill.

dave

How about just adding a straight line at the bottom of the column (same width) and use the 1/8" cutting at the same depth.

Silly me of course it's not going to work unless you cut off the ends for gluing.

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    How about just adding a straight line at the bottom of the column (same width) and use the 1/8" cutting at the same depth.

I decided to play with the column parts. Here is my attempt to duplicate your column, Zan, on the rotary. I haven't carved it yet, but I decided to use the 3/16 carving bit and the 1/2 inch ballnose because the 3/16 carving will not have the 7 degree taper.

dave

column1-rotary.mpcClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-09-24 11_53_27-CarveWright - [column1-rotary.mpc].png 
Views:	37 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	78038

Looks great Dave!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123