Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken bits

Default Bits

Sorry to hear about your bits . But Have a Question for all .Why do most of you Carvers Carve so deep , ive had my machine for apx 6 months only minor problems (self fix) I just dont understand why some of you carve a 1" board 3/4 or 1/2 inch deep. I have carved for 1/4 mdf to 6" oak and have never carved over say a 1/4 " deep unless im cutting out pattern. or lettering ??
    Im sure thers good reason for deeper cuts i just dont know what it is ??
    I hope im not sounding like a wise guy or what ever im just curious as to why such a deep cut ?? Thank You
    And Happy carving to all
    Dave

just me,but on stock patterns I like a little more depth ,so i raise them in the probe editor and the carve about 3/8.It just gives a little bolder, deeper look.also scans, like the last supper are deep and look very niceand scans have to be deep enough to capture the detail of the object.
    Ben

Default A little more detail

Im sure thers good reason for deeper cuts i just dont know what it is ??
    I think the a few reasons that I carve a little deeper:

1. It provieds a larger surface with more detail as the piece goes into the wood.
    2. Most of the wood I start out with is over an inch thick. That would leave a lot of wasted wood behind the carving.
    3. It gets the item away from looking like something that I "surface carved" with a router.
    4. When I scan an item then I want to carve it to the same specs as the original.
    5. The machine is supposed to carve up to these depths.

That being said, I do carve a little more on the shallow side when I am making something like a sign. I think that both ways have some use and sound logic for choosing them. A lot is also just preference.

Regards,
    Tom
    If you think I am talking about you then you are either correct or guilty

Quote Originally Posted by pastime106 View Post
    I think the a few reasons that I carve a little deeper:

1. It provieds a larger surface with more detail as the piece goes into the wood.
    2. Most of the wood I start out with is over an inch thick. That would leave a lot of wasted wood behind the carving.
    3. It gets the item away from looking like something that I "surface carved" with a router.
    4. When I scan an item then I want to carve it to the same specs as the original.
    5. The machine is supposed to carve up to these depths.

That being said, I do carve a little more on the shallow side when I am making something like a sign. I think that both ways have some use and sound logic for choosing them. A lot is also just preference.

Regards,
    Tom
    Tom,I agree completely...the shallow ,low detail carves ...just looks cheap

5. Default

I agree, deeper carves in general look better. Gives you a greater range to work in to give things more dimension. Shallow cuts 1/4 or so though also has let me carve both sides when experimenting with new patterns that I am trying as long as you leave enough around the edges for the sensors to read correctly. I tend to have more trouble with the height setting. Trying a lot of stuff made from photos and when the height is too high I tend to lose a lot of detail cause of the shape of the carving bit.

Default Deep plunge

The bits took one deep plunge into the wood and then broke, most likly from a sudden lateral movement, it happened so fast I could not tell. The use of a caliper is a great idea, I'll use it. Thanks everyone! Murph

If it took a plunge, then that is your z-encoder.Just call them up and they will send you the whole motor with encoder and you just swap them.
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12