Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: immporting a stl

Maybe I need to start on something easier. I don't understand how you went to get the two separate .75 boards so if I wanted to make it 1.5 thick out of the drawing I am posting now how would I do it to make it two boards I did the project board 7.2 x 7.2 x 1.5 . I made the pattern smaller so I could put it on the forum.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Default

on dishes and bowls like this why not just use a 3/8 or 1/4 inch straight bit and cut them like pockets then cut out the outsides using a simple cut out then route the edges either with the cw or a router/router table. Using a carving patterns seems like a long and arduous process for a simple dish with no decorative carvings incorporated.

it's not the matter of how decorated it is right now it's learning how to do it so you can add the decorated stuff later...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    it's not the matter of how decorated it is right now it's learning how to do it so you can add the decorated stuff later...
    Look forward to seeing it.

Here is what I did to split the bowl into two slices: (Actually I used my own bowl which was 3" in diameter and 1.5 deep so as to make two 0.75 slices.)

1. Create pattern
    2. Open pattern in PE
    3. Invert
    4. Export to STL
    5. Next, Cut, Cut, Next
    6. Flip both slices (Button with shell on it)
    7. Browse to save location
    8. Finish
    9. Place slices on board
    10. Invert slices, turn off floor feather

In the mpc (2.007), I put both the slices on the board as well as put the slices back together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AokBowl.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    Hi Steve, thank you for your input, I don't have the 3.0 but just curious.. wouldn't the 2.07 work because it would still use the long bit ?
    I think so. There have been so many recent add-ons and releases I forget which will work with each version. I primarily work with version 3 and have to occasionally go back and review the timeline of releases to figure it out.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by CW-HAL9000 View Post
    What is the difference? This is not like a copywrighted design its all over the internet, templates in rockler, books going back to the 1950,s. Where did you get the STL? I often wonder how people go on the internet get someone elses stl, dxf's, jpg's etc. make a pattern or mpc and think that they now have creative license. Unless you designed a new design totally from scratch then you really cant claim ownership. Heck a lot of patterns in the CW pattern store can be traced to artwork and images on the internet or in stores. Yet persons scanned them or made patterns from artwork that are not original and now have licensed them for sale in the pattern store. No one checks on copyright issues or anything.
    I made this one, no image to look at no one else's design. image is of raw data file I created!
    It was a point of asking if beta testers can modify our patterns, nothing to do with the actual pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails candy bowl 3dm.jpg  
    Last edited by eelamb; 11-22-2014 at 06:24 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

I just made one like I saw Aok had made in the earlier thread:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...860#post235860

Just a few quick sweeps. In case anyone else wonders about beta software, we cannot even edit our own patterns with it.

9. Default

For sale all over the place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bowltray95_beauty.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	72976

Quote Originally Posted by CW-HAL9000 View Post
    For sale all over the place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bowltray95_beauty.jpg 
Views:	22