Thread: Superfluous part?...I doubt it.

Default Superfluous part?...I doubt it.

I am looking for info on another part I found in the bottom of my machine. Somewhere between 94% and 97% of my last carve, I saw this part lodged next to the brass roller. I didn't hear any unusual changes in pitch or clanking associated with a flying part and I NEVER leave my model A unattended. I immediately stopped the carve and retrieved the part. It seems to have fallen out of the slot in the side of the z-truck. Out of desperation I let the project finish with no problems. I have scanned through the parts diagrams and think it must be off the board inside the z-truck. I have planned an upgrade to the carvetight in the future, but coming so soon after replacing a torn traction belt and board sensor, I fear my better half will consider this a deal breaker and will push for me to sell the machine due to high maintenance costs.
    My question is... Can I run the machine without this part? and What might have caused this failure?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknown part.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	270.4 KB 
ID:	60989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z-truck slot.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	60991

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z-truck slot.jpg  

Old part don't use it any more .
    Every thing should work without it.
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

Old bit flag sensor, not needed anymore.

Machine will run without that ....
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Thanks guys, that's really grear news.
    Steve

BTW since you have a nice vintage machine make sure you upgrade to the Carve tight or a Rock when you get the chance. The Old QC will rattel the machine to the ground and cost you a lot of time ansd $$$