Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Dust Collection - the final answer

Quote Originally Posted by daeelctric View Post
    Do you have a version of this with an inlet for 2" hose instead? I am having to get by with a shop vac for now instead of a dedicated vacumn system.
    Remember that you could just get a "reducer" to convert from 4" to 2" (Woodcraft and other stores will have them).
    caution! A shop vac is not designed to run as long as many of the carving projects!
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    [caution! A shop vac is not designed to run as long as many of the carving projects![/COLOR]
    AskBud
    Yep! I burned up a $100 ridgid vaccuum in about 6 months.

3. Default

I would not recommend using a shop vac for dust collection. Aside from the fact that you will likely burn up your shop vac as they are not designed to run for extended periods of time, they also produce a huge amount of static electricity which could easily fry your electronics. It's not worth the risk. Pony up for a 4" dust collection unit with static control and not only with you have a safer setup but you will also keep your machine cleaner. Save the shop vac for spot cleanups around the shop but don't even use it to clean out your machine after a carve. I have learned the hard way how static electricity can turn a good day into a very disappointing one!
    Frederick Potter
    Editions by Frederick
    http://www.editionsbyfrederick.com

Keep 98% of the dust out of your machine with this free dust collector:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...e-final-answer

... All of what they said. A small DC will run you a little more than a vacuum but will last 10 times longer.
    ROCKin' with my Dust Collector - Get the mpc here
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ve-it-yourself

Quote Originally Posted by daeelctric View Post
    Do you have a version of this with an inlet for 2" hose instead? I am having to get by with a shop vac for now instead of a dedicated vacumn system.
    If you are planning on getting a dust collector in the future (put in on your Christmas list ) but want the benefits of top mount system go with Bud's reducer for the short term. You will need to set up a grounding system and make sure the hose stays away from any of the electronics..

What the others have posted about the shop vac is dead on.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thought I'd share my take on Fredrick's topload dust collector. Made a few design changes and have used it for about a month now. I really like the way it removes all the debris especially when doing the corian lithophanes. It's cut my clean up time down to almost nothing. My "box" is not quite as high or as long as Fredrick's but seems to remove 95% or more of the debris.
    Last edited by SharonB; 12-14-2010 at 11:52 PM.

While I have and use a 3hp cyclone dust collector, the info posted about Shop Vacs is only partially correct. Your standard run of the mill Shop Vac or generic counterpart in the $75-150 range has a single stage motor/blower. A two stage Shop Vac™ ($250+) will run all day and has a grounded system that produces practically no static. http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-61012...5559889&sr=1-6 as an example of one I use on my sanding station hooked to 2- 6" Festool RO sanders for all day no-dust sanding.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

My machine was loaded with dust and corian chips even though I stopped every 15 minutes and vaced it out, blew it out and wiped it down. I bought the Erwin Products dust devil and hooked it to my shop vac. I found that IF the filter was clean, it would make it through one cutting. Then plug up. Plus it got pretty hot. So I found a good used JET dust collector on Craigs list for $100. and I can run it all day. I also now hook the JET to my other tools and my lungs are no longer the dust collection system for my shop. I'm certain that all of my machines will last longer for having done it. http://www.erwinproducts.com/erwin_products_004.htm

Quote Originally Posted by sail View Post
    My machine was loaded with dust and corian chips even though I stopped every 15 minutes and vaced it out, blew it out and wiped it down. I bought the Erwin Products dust devil and hooked it to my shop vac. I found that IF the filter was clean, it would make it through one cutting. Then plug up. Plus it got pretty hot. So I found a good used JET dust collector on Craigs list for $100. and I can run it all day. I also now hook the JET to my other tools and my lungs are no longer the dust collection system for my shop. I'm certain that all of my machines will last longer for having done it. http://www.erwinproducts.com/erwin_products_004.htm
    Has anyone tried this one verses the homemade versions? I am wanting to buy a dust collection system, and if I make my own Carvewright adapter as outlined by the previous posts, I can put the $55 for an Erwin Dust Devil towards a dusk collector if the results are similar.

I have a Jet 650 cfm Dust collector with a Dust Dog canister filter that replaces the cloth bag. I have tried a couple of the homemade dust collector versions that I downloaded from here on the forum and they worked pretty good. I then purchased the sheet metal one from Ringneck blues. It worked VERY good. Then Erwin Products came out with the Dust Devil. Since it was molded all in one piece I had to try it. As it turns out, I had to make a few modifications like closing up the sides to direct the vacuum more towards the board. This worked very well also but, the dust collector form Ringneck Blues did seem to work a little better right out of the box. So that's the one I use.
    Steve

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast