Thread: This makes awsome templates!

Default This makes awsome templates!

This machine is awesome. We are a small manufacture of the unique and many one of kind’s projects.

At a wood show last week I bought a "Pin Router" it is a $49.00 attachment for a table mounted router. With our CW, I was cutting out parts for some of the products we produce. In the back of my mind was the time it took to carve out the parts, flawlessly I might add, and my warranty eroding away. Even though we are adding $35.00 per operating hour cost to projects, I just can't imagine the thought of being without this machine, God forbid it dies.

This is where the "Pin Router" comes in to play. I modified one of my part cutout files to cut a template out of MDF for the pin router. It took the CW 2 minutes to create the template. On the pin router, with a scrap smaller then I can use in the CW, it took me 5 minutes to cut out the part, it takes 12 minutes on the CW, although the CW part is tighter in tolerance, it was just fine for a project this size.

I'm not sure what order the pics show but here is my explanation. One is the pin router templates we created on our CW, with the parts cut out with the pin router, notice I shamelessly show a sign, created on the CW. The next is the pin router with cut outs. The last is the almost finished project. The side panels are stained glass with cherry wood and a oil lamp. We sell these for $125.00, whole sale for $85.00.

The glass sides are the end cut offs of a piece of stained glass when poured on a steel table. In our shop nothing goes to waste.
    Last edited by right_wright@msn.com; 03-24-2007 at 04:13 PM.
    If you think you can or you think you can't, you're right!

I am also a small woodworking shop doing similar work. I was qite interested in the bit you are using for fine detailed work. I understand you purchased this bit a woodworkers show, but by any chance do you have a manufacturers name as I would like to purchase some for myself.

Just what I've been looking for. This will definitely make custom templates a breeze. In doing some reading on pin routers, I came across this link to build your own. http://www.intarsia.net/e-book/pinrout.htm Veritas makes an overam jig, but I've only found it for $155 online .

Rob

Default Pin Router info

I need to buy a photo program so that I can upload the photos I mentioned earlier.

The pin router is a attachment mounted over your table mounted router. With our CW, I cut a patern at a depth of 0.110. The pin in the pin router follows the template and the router bit (usually the same size as the pin) cuts the patern from below.

The advantages that I see are 1) the cost of bits to match the pins that came with the "Pin Router Attachment" are available almost anywhere and cheap. 2) I can mass produce parts quickly. 3)I can keep the templates for use later or offsite. 4)SAVES MY CW. I think in terms the the right tool for the right job. Just like I never have the CW cut the board to size, I have laser miter saws for that. 4) by changing the router bit I can modify the size of the part I making.

I bought my "Pin Router attachment" from Woodline USA for $49.00. I came with 1/8, 3,16, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch pins. Which gives me the ablity to select the proper sized bits to match the wood and project I am making.

You can find Woodline USA at www.woodline.com. I think PennState also markets one.

I will get those photos loaded tomorrow. If you wood like to see some of our stuff, www.thewrightstuffworks.com

Default The Photos of Templates

I think, with help of other forum members, I can now upload the photos for pin router, templates and cutouts. Here goes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pin Router with templates.jpg   Templates and Cut out parts.jpg   Glass Oil Lamp.jpg   Shelf Back Board template.jpg  

I have a Bosch over-arm router, I use for template routing and just made a 2 sided road sign from a single sided sign I hand carved err with a CAD layout and router.
    I mounted my 1.5" thick redwood sign onto 3/4" MDF and routed the MDF using the original sign as my template, I then flipped the sign over exposing the back and flipped the jig over and routed the back of the sign same as the first.
    Note the template has to be a mirror image in order to come out right. I can use the CC to make reverse templates to fit in the sign and make the entire sign faster using the bigger router. sorry no photos of it with me.
    Last edited by Gman_Ind; 03-30-2007 at 08:47 AM.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com