Page 48 of 65 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: CarveWright Designer wishlist

47 pages of Designer Change Requests and Replys... WOW....

OK.. I was cutting some Centerline Text in a board yesterday and it was 2.2 inches tall and about 12 inches long. It was Ariel Black Text and between the 2 sides on a 3/4 inch thick board, the letter bottoms of the V Text actually cut through.... I changed it to Ariel Narrow and Bold for a Similar Text that did not cut through. It is just the nature of the Centerline Text.

So for my First Request..... The Machine really struggled cutting both boards as the Centerline Cutting was Very Aggressive.... Making the Flex shake for dear life.... It was when the Centerline shifted to a faster feed rate or a almost full depth of cut....

IS there any way that a Control Button be provided to make Centerline Text LESS AGRESSIVE.... Either Depth of Cut or Feed Rate.... It is not always about Speed for me.... I would rather be able to select a button that makes Centerline Less Aggressive when I am cutting Hard Pine. I could lie to the machine and change the V90 depth after it starts cutting for less of a bite then cut it a second time.....

Second request.... My 1000 hour plus Senior Citizen Machine likes to take it's time and coast to a stop longer at Bit change Spin UP than the Younger Tighter Machines.... I would like a Senior Citizen Selection in the Start Up Menu to make the machine WAIT LONGER to start it's race to the Keypad Side of the machine and doing it's left side BOB..... Just adding a Metal Plate on top of the Brass Roller and letting my Senior Citizen Machine still coasting to a stop DRILLING into the METAL with EXPENSIVE BITS.... Is Just WRONG.... That FIX should have been a SOFTWARE FIX, NOT a HARDWARE FIX....

And 3rd.... WE now Cheat the Machine when using a 1/16 inch end mill bit to do a slow VECTOR CUT by lying to the machine and telling it that we have loaded a 1/4 inch bit. It is time to ADD a 1st Gear ONLY Feed Rate to the Bit Depth of Cut Window... It is NOT always about SPEED.... When I let the 2 speed Vector Cut Feed Rate go on my Name Tag Plastic, the FEED RATE overwhelms the Bits ability to cut and clear the material. The Side Pressure on the Bit and Material cause 1. A Rough Cut that I need to sand smooth later and 2. It sometimes pushes the 90% Cut Out Tag away from the bit giving me a tag that the end point is different than the starting point. BUT... when I Lie to the machine and tell it I am cutting with a 1/4 inch bit but in fact use a 1/16th end mill bit... Locking the Feed Rate into 1st gear gives me a slow steady cut well within the bit's ability to cut and clear the cut area giving me a excellent cut.

Having THAT ability in the Bit Depth Selection Window would be a BIG PLUS........

SO we have 3 things that all revolve around SPEED..... So in my Opinion, the Software Designers Motto of the Month should be.....

"NO, NOT FASTER..... BETTER...!!!!"

All 3 Speed Issues posted above ALL DISTRACT from the machines Ability... All 3 can be turned around..... With 3 Fixes.... I was a big voice in the "WE NEED DEPTH CONTROL" Campaign.... One among many.....

AL WHO....

Lynn, Can you pass this to Software Please.
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 11-21-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

2. Default

There is one thing I would like to add to the list, it may have been mentioned before but 47 pages is a lot of reading. I wish there was a way to input bit specs into the machine. basically input all the specs for a particular bit including the feed rate and speed. Example: as mentioned above, for larger centerlinr text, it may be nice to be able to use a 120D V-groove so you can get the width and not so much depth.

Wish List Item

I'd like to be able to choose which side of a two sided project I want to start with when loading a project. Although my recent need for this option was a result of bad luck on my part and inadvertently unplugging the machine, I can see a logical need for this feature. It's possible to start one side and want to come back to that project later. I can't imagine it's a major undertaking to allow a user to pick which side to start on. Anyway, I love the machine, thanks.

Memo.... There is an answer to this request right at your finger tips right NOW... Make 2 Files.... My Project FRONT and MY Project Back.. Then load the one you want..... Alignment would be trickier.... Placing both on top of each file....

AL Who...
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

While we're at it......

This can't be hard - someone tell me if I'm wishing for something that just can't be done........

I'd like to be able to scan an item, place that into Designer, then make it part of the board's surface (not as a "pattern").

Here's an example -

Say I want to carve a design on a baseball bat (or a gun stock). The only real way to do that now is to scan the bat, make that scan a pattern, then add my carve on top of that pattern. Designer thinks it has to carve the entire project - the bat's curvature as well as the carve I've added to the bat's surface. All I really want it to carve is the carve I've added - obviously I don't want to re-carve the bat itself.

All that's basically ok, but the reality is that's it's almost impossible to get the bat itself on a sled and into the machine perfectly so that when the machine begins its carve, it only carves what I want, not the area surrounding the carve.

So, here's what I'd like........

Scan the bat, bring it into Designer, and instead of "Make Pattern", I have the option to "Make Board Surface".

Now, I have a virtual board with a curvature that I can add a pattern on, and the only thing carved is the pattern I want.

What's so hard about that?
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    While we're at it......

This can't be hard - someone tell me if I'm wishing for something that just can't be done........

I'd like to be able to scan an item, place that into Designer, then make it part of the board's surface (not as a "pattern").

Here's an example -

Say I want to carve a design on a baseball bat (or a gun stock). The only real way to do that now is to scan the bat, make that scan a pattern, then add my carve on top of that pattern. Designer thinks it has to carve the entire project - the bat's curvature as well as the carve I've added to the bat's surface. All I really want it to carve is the carve I've added - obviously I don't want to re-carve the bat itself.

All that's basically ok, but the reality is that's it's almost impossible to get the bat itself on a sled and into the machine perfectly so that when the machine begins its carve, it only carves what I want, not the area surrounding the carve.

Scan the bat, bring it into Designer, and instead of "Make Pattern", I have the option to "Make Board Surface".

Now, I have a virtual board with a curvature that I can add a pattern on, and the only thing carved is the pattern I want.

Great idea Jerry! I vote make this a top enhancement!!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thx, Mr. Harris - it's never as easy as I'd like to think it is, but this just can't be that complicated.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    While we're at it......

Here's an example -

This option also for the "conform tool " would be cool, could be factored in a hide tool option like hide from carving button. It could be a challenge for programing a combined hidden tool path...

Some other options is to mask out the raster with the exception of the carving I do this a lot and its fast.

If your placement is off try using "place on end" or "place on cornor" will get you very close.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 11-22-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Default rectangle with rounded corners

Making a rectangle with rounded corners is a lot harder than it should be. Yes, I know the work around and have done it, but every time I do, I think about how basic is is to signmaking and how much easier it could and should be. It obviously comes up enough that bud has a FAQ just on how to do it. I assumed when I started working with designer, and I think judging from people asking about it, most people starting out must assume that it should be available on the drop down choices for rectangles. I find that I want to make rounded corners more often than square, I should be able to pick rectangle with rounded corners from the drop down and then once I place it on the board adjust the axis of one corner and all corners should be mirrored.

I believe it would be a much used and much appreciated feature, even by those who have gotten good at the work around.

dave

1. I'd like to be able to have my board view be vertical with just a click. When you're trying to orient a pattern(s) to take adavantage of grain, it sure would be nice to be able to see the project from dead straight on vertically instead of trying to rotate it around and around.

2. There needs to be a faster way to upload a mpc to the card. Mine is unbelievably slow.

3. There should be a way to estimate carve time from designer at any time during a project. I'd like to be able to see how certain elements affect carve time as I go, then maybe make design changes based on that.

4. I'd like to be able to work on a project in 2d. A lot of the time the 3d shadow effect makes it look like things are crooked or not matching side to side. Being able to toggle 2d to 3d would be nice for layout.

Page 48 of 65 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast