Default Vacuum/Dust Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Hesstx View Post
    looking at tring your DC

are you running a dd sys also?
    where are you venting your exhaust from the muffler

Thanks hess
    Hess,
    I have reversed the DownDraft concept.
    I vent my exhaust into the DD piping system so that the exhaust creates positive air flow within the cutting area whenever the cut motor is running.
    It's not a must, but since we know that there is just a small amount of fine dust in the exhaust bag, I think it is a good way to apply the usage.

All you need to do is place a reducer on the old DD pipe to accept the size of the hose you attach to the exhaust. I used standard sweeper or shop-vac hose and it fits snuggly on the inner portion of the existing exhaust once you remove the bag portion. I also cut a piece of coat hanger and used it to hold the exhaust hose above the outfeed tables. I just put a Right Angle bend on the end where the hanger attaches to the machine and dropped it in one of the slots.
    See photo(s) below.
    AskBud
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Exhaust to Hose (Medium).JPG   Exhaust Hose to old DD (Medium).JPG   Exhaust Hose Support (Medium).JPG  
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    My DD Cabinet is a mobile self-contained unit,
    I can roll it to where I want plug it in, and carve.
    I have been looking for this post. I would like to build this. I just tore and old heater apart and have a squireel cage to use. Look at Page 8 for an awesome setup by Ken810. Thank you.
    Experience is a doorway -- Not a final goal.

Default Innexpensive dust collection system

I figured I'd wait a bit before finally posting this. I have a big shop system, but wanted to design something that would not block the view. All the others I've seen just seemed bulky or complex. I have downdraft, but it doesn't work well with wide boards. I use this one by taping a couple tiny blocks to the cover, so the switches engage before it hits the tube. You can also just cut a slot in the cover.

I wanted something that the home shop guy could use without buying a big shop vac system. I used a $20 VacMaster (you can get at Target). Has both suck and blow for those that want to do the positive air flow Bud suggests. I had a clear mailing tube with end caps laying around for the prototype, but PVC pipe or whatever should work.

Just cut a slot in from the ends a bit. I found that tapering the slot from 1/8" to 3/8" seemed to balance the airflow so I could have the output on the far end out of the way. I took a piece of plastic and glued it in front of the slot. You will need to notch the plastic flap on the right end to clear the bit depth pop out. Will probably make one with another piece on the other side of the slot to give a bit better pull, though this is working just fine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dust front.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	50352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dust top.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	50353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dust collect.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	50354

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I was going to produce these in a nice black unit for sale, but wasn't sure what the market would be.

tom@adesigner.com http://inventorforhire.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dust collector.jpg  

I used a vacuum at first, but it was very noisy and for me not as efficient as a 600 CFM dust collector. The latter is also a great addition to the rest of the shop. I like the compactness of your nozzle, but I've gotten used to by larger one and it's not really an issue.

I used a system just like this before I started on the dust cap. I worked to keep the sawdust from accumulating under the front roller but there was still a lot of sawdust it missed. Yours looks better. Can you show us a picture of what the machine looks like after a carve?

This is only a 1 hour carve. There isn't much to see. I plan on doing a 4 hour carve and some Corian. That will be the real test. I have a big DC system for the shop. Just wanted to help out those that don't want to spend that much on a vacuum. It is noisy compared to the central system. I don't stand at the machine without ear protection anyway. I have a good downdraft table, but it's not that great on wide boards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of CIMG1269.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	50359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of CIMG1270.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	50358
    Last edited by tbroeski; 01-13-2012 at 01:35 PM.

That looks pretty good.

I also have a downdraft connected to the "muffeler" with a toilet L with a 1 1/2 vent in the heel - that would be a 1 1/2 x 3 x 3 T - and it isn't so to ptirry good aon wide boards. This looks like a good answer>
    Thanks
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

@tbroeski

I like this version - sleek fit and could be adapted to work with any dust collector. Would recommend adding brackets that would allow you to install it using the 2 threaded holes on the deck of the head. Keep it secure and allow for a ground point.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast